Not deterred by our slow start... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Not deterred by our slow start...

i tend to worry too much about bad showings against great teams. when i see clemson or alabama murder some other school, i don't think much about it - i rarely think, boy that team stinks. maryland, that's bad, but does anyone really watch that game besides us?

No but the score tells the story. Maryland game was bad for sure, need to right the ship at NC St

i tend to worry too much about bad showings against great teams. when i see clemson or alabama murder some other school, i don't think much about it - i rarely think, boy that team stinks. maryland, that's bad, but does anyone really watch that game besides us?

I agree. Narratives take time to build, and recede. I didn't get the sense that anyone held the Clemson loss against us. And most fans know that games like Maryland can happen, everyone has been on the losing side of something like that before. We've blown some opportunities this season, but I think the general perception of SU being a program on the rise is still prevalent.

I will stick with I think he likes it here and will hang around, but enjoying the ride w/o worrying about it either way. If he would leave, Fickell would be my guy, unless Clawson wanted to come home.

I wrote something last night but it really didn't come out the way I meant it to. I do believe that Coach Babers likes to have complete control over his program and keep things quiet and behind the scenes . He can do that here with minimal interference from boosters and alumni. The media for the most part does not question every single move that he made during the course of a game. Lots of positives as far as he running his program the way he wants with not a lot of interference. I think that is important to him. Do I think that trumps him wanting to win and be a successful head coach at a Power 5 school. No of course not. Only coach Babers and family knows how he feels and whether or not he feels he can accomplish his goals for program here at Syracuse University. If the powers to be at Syracuse University continue to invest heavily into the football program, it maybe enough to keep him here. If it isn't I would wish him well and hope John Wildhack can strike gold with his first football hire. Here's to hoping AD Wildhack doesn't have to test the waters. Go Orange!!!!!!!

I don’t see Dino taking a job in the South. I also don’t see Michigan realistically interested in someone without a considerable pro backround

Michigan is going to be looking for the opposite of a pro background I'd think. They desperately want an offense from the 2000s. Didn't have that with Hoke or Harbaugh.

I agree. Between the new stadium, 25M gift, ACCN money, and buyout windfall if Dino leaves The Wild One will have all he needs to hire an exceptional staff.

O.K., I missed something somewhere; who is The Wild One?

I agree. Narratives take time to build, and recede. I didn't get the sense that anyone held the Clemson loss against us.

Truthfully, I was just annoyed by the final 60 yard TD run, because I wanted everyone who bet Clemson -28 to lose. Plus 34-6 sounds so much better, doesn't it? Doesn't it?

Well ok, and that INT-INT-87 yard TD sequence was just about the most cruel thing that could ever happen.

I think we thought it was crazy that an NFL team wanted a .500 coach from Syracuse. But all the talk was “he brought them back to respectability at a place you can’t win” (I think this line of thinking is BS, but it’s what was sold to the Buffalo fans)

I didn’t think it was crazy at all.

Marrone had already been targeted as an NFL head coach while the OC at New Orleans.

And he had a trashed program winning a bowl game in two years on the Hill - he was great at Syracuse University.

and that hire will tell us a lot about the AD.
John understands that SUs advantage is the Dome. He will pick a Dynamic offensive minded coach with head coaching experience. His coach will come from the college ranks. He will provide the new coach with the funds to hire to notch OC and DCs. The Wild One wont mess around.
From our Chancellor, the BOT, to our AD Syracuse University is committed to fielding a top football program. We are not about to go backwards under Johns leadership.

IF Dino were to leave in the near term, it will be because of the lack of fan support that he relishes. Support in the stands, local talk shows, social media, etc.
Dino isnt leaving for lack of Fan support. The fans have been fine. Attendance is up. Season tickets set a record. The Dome is being redone. We are in the ACC with our new network. 25M gift, complete support of the Administration... If Dino leaves it will be because of money, recruiting, and his desire to live in a different part of the country not because of our fan base.

John understands that SUs advantage is the Dome. He will pick a Dynamic offensive minded coach with head coaching experience. His coach will come from the college ranks. He will provide the new coach with the funds to hire to notch OC and DCs. The Wild One wont mess around.
From our Chancellor, the BOT, to our AD Syracuse University is committed to fielding a top football program. We are not about to go backwards under Johns leadership.
Sounds good. I'll wait and see.

Dino isnt leaving for lack of Fan support. The fans have been fine. Attendance is up. Season tickets set a record. The Dome is being redone. We are in the ACC with our new network. 25M gift, complete support of the Administration... If Dino leaves it will be because of money, recruiting, and his desire to live in a different part of the country not because of our fan base.

I’ll stick to my statement.

You don't get all that for nothing. You have to WIN first to deserve it. Not saying that he isn't on that path as last year showed. But, you have to keep it going year in and year out.

I agree. Narratives take time to build, and recede. I didn't get the sense that anyone held the Clemson loss against us. And most fans know that games like Maryland can happen, everyone has been on the losing side of something like that before. We've blown some opportunities this season, but I think the general perception of SU being a program on the rise is still prevalent.
there are just too many teams in college football for people to change their opinions accurately in real time. i think that might explain the general inertia where it's really hard for programs to change their long term status. uconn is not supposed to be good, doesn't matter that they had a few fortunate years. we are not supposed to be GERG-bad, we're supposed to be decent. virginia tech in national championship games, that is just not supposed to happen, they fall back to where they belong.

Babers theatrical streak with his preacher speeches are smart - you have to fight that inertia. does anyone outside of syracuse remember the collapse after beating clemson? nah, all they remember is the crazy speech

When the stars align and you have a chance to do something out of the ordinary special, you have to seize it. I feel pretty good that Babers is a smart game day coach and he can steal a game or two by being a little more analytically sound than his competition

i think the air raid and its offshoots have done better at making long term changes to how schools are perceived. i think the dome plus lots of passing might bump us up in the long term if we stay committed to it

When the stars align and you have a chance to do something out of the ordinary special, you have to seize it. I feel pretty good that Babers is a smart game day coach and he can steal a game or two by being a little more analytically sound than his competition

Just as long as he's got film on them.

there are just too many teams in college football for people to change their opinions accurately in real time. i think that might explain the general inertia where it's really hard for programs to change their long term status. uconn is not supposed to be good, doesn't matter that they had a few fortunate years. we are not supposed to be GERG-bad, we're supposed to be decent. virginia tech in national championship games, that is just not supposed to happen, they fall back to where they belong.

Babers theatrical streak with his preacher speeches are smart - you have to fight that inertia. does anyone outside of syracuse remember the collapse after beating clemson? nah, all they remember is the crazy speech

i think the air raid and its offshoots have done better at making long term changes to how schools are perceived. i think the dome plus lots of passing might bump us up in the long term if we stay committed to it
This is a really good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom