Not deterred by our slow start... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Not deterred by our slow start...

I don’t see Dino taking a job in the South. I also don’t see Michigan realistically interested in someone without a considerable pro backround
How did it work out the last time they hired a coach with a pro background?

I’ve said since a long time ago two things related to this. DB has left every job he’s been at, he’s left more jobs then Marrone has had wet dreams and binders for. Anyone thinking he’s not above leaving SU is crazy.

Does that mean he leaves, who the hell knows. Living in a modest house is prob more indicative future plans don’t include SU then, he likes to live modestly.

Recruiting - DB is a great guy and recruits really like him. Then they go somewhere else. It happened every day when I was in the car business. Every recruit has different reasons for going different places. This idea that DB is a unique coach is fan talk. There’s lots of great guys coaching football. If it mattered that he was a great guy and unique to coaching we’d be complaining about having too many 4 star recruits and not enough 5 stars. But we aren’t. Alabama gets a lot of recruits and he seems to be a docuhebag
Having a coach that players/parents like and respect is important but it’s not solely the reason most 4 star recruits pick one school over another. I’m sure most recruits sign their LOI thinking they like their future coach. Then they show up to school and...

If attendance mattered Miami wouldn’t get better recruits then us, Pitt wouldn’t get better recruits then us, there’s lots of schools with poor attendance hauling in good recruiting classes.

We’re starting to put everything together though. Coaching, the dome, public perception nationwide, fan support, $$$. I think if DB sticks around past next year we start to really see a jump in recruiting. We’ve always tried to recruit big time players. We would get excited if one even visited, it was like having a unicorn show up. Why wouldn’t they want to play at a school with 4 wins and get loads of playing time losing????? Things have been different the last couple years, we’ve gotten many high rated recruits actually seemingly interested in us. At some point all these positive things I think have to break with recruiting classes. I believe we’re on the right track, just might not always feel like it after games like MD.

If attendance mattered Miami wouldn’t get better recruits then us, Pitt wouldn’t get better recruits then us, there’s lots of schools with poor attendance hauling in good recruiting classes.

That’s pretty short sighted. Miami will always get recruits because they are in Florida and are a name due to past history. Just like Florida and FSU. And Miami draws 20k more than us. Pitt is in Pa which is another recruiting hot bed with a zillion kids that can play football. It’s just a bit better than CNY.

That’s pretty short sighted. Miami will always get recruits because they are in Florida and are a name due to past history. Just like Florida and FSU. And Miami draws 20k more than us. Pitt is in Pa which is another recruiting hot bed with a zillion kids that can play football. It’s just a bit better than CNY.

Good points.

Just my two cents here but nobody has mentioned the fact that Dino Babers is a behind the scenes type guy who likes to run his program his way without outside interference. One of the reasons he took the job at Syracuse was because he asked the administration to keep a lid on everything and they did, whereas UCF did not and told them no thanks. In his first year he asked the alumni to stay away from the program so he could begin the transformation of the culture of it. Again his wish was granted. To the best of my knowledge, he has an excellent relationship with AD John Wildhack and Syracuse University through Wildhack has made strides to upgrade the facilities to make the football program more competitive. As long as that continues, I think Coach Babers may hang around. I'm sure John Wildhack will do everything in his power to keep Coach Babers at Syracuse. The one thing that Dino Babers has at Syracuse is job security. Not so sure he would have that at some of the schools he is being mentioned as a favorite to go to. Only Dino Babers knows what he would do and no one on this board can speak for him. As always, Go Orange!!!!!!!!

IF Dino were to leave in the near term, it will be because of the lack of fan support that he relishes. Support in the stands, local talk shows, social media, etc.
All fan bases on talk shows, social media etc are nuts. And I assure you Syracuse is a lot easier than let’s say FSU.

Just my two cents here but nobody has mentioned the fact that Dino Babers is a behind the scenes type guy who likes to run his program his way without outside interference. One of the reasons he took the job at Syracuse was because he asked the administration to keep a lid on everything and they did, whereas UCF did not and told them no thanks. In his first year he asked the alumni to stay away from the program so he could begin the transformation of the culture of it. Again his wish was granted. To the best of my knowledge, he has an excellent relationship with AD John Wildhack and Syracuse University through Wildhack has made strides to upgrade the facilities to make the football program more competitive. As long as that continues, I think Coach Babers may hang around. I'm sure John Wildhack will do everything in his power to keep Coach Babers at Syracuse. The one thing that Dino Babers has at Syracuse is job security. Not so sure he would have that at some of the schools he is being mentioned as a favorite to go to. Only Dino Babers knows what he would do and no one on this board can speak for him. As always, Go Orange!!!
If he leaves the Cuse to go to a factory, he won't need job security.

Clark Lea is having a heck of a run as ND’s DC and he did coach here.

Surprising pick for you though.
We won’t miss a beat on the offensive side of the ball if Dino ever leaves and we replace him with Sean Lewis.

I would not be crazy about either Lester is still coaching with boat rower dude's guys. Lewis took over a disaster at kent st. Lewis was a really good recruiter and he has been torched by a lot of much better programs, have to see what he does the rest of the year though too. We can do better than those two, IMO.

The SU job has to be so much more attractive than what we had 4 years ago. I liked Lewis, but he hasn’t shown anything as a head coach. Lester turned an 8-5 program into a 6-7/7-6 program. It would be depressing if we ended up with digging that deep. I feel like we should be able to get a MAC champion, legit AAC coach or an OC at a big P5 school.

Last edited:
You know the list is garbage when gundy is number 2. That guy wouldve left osu long ago, if he wanted to.

Agreed. The fanbase is turning out in droves in many locations.

Honestly, I’m past worrying about this stuff.

Agreed. Between last year’s bowl and this year’s early games, fan interest in football has been as high as ever. And it’s because of Dino.

If he were to leave because it’s not enough, then it was out of everyone’s control anyway, and not at all worth the worry.

Last edited:
Only team that concerns me is USC and I really don't care anymore what happens. Is what it is
I agree. Between the new stadium, 25M gift, ACCN money, and buyout windfall if Dino leaves The Wild One will have all he needs to hire an exceptional staff.

I agree. Between the new stadium, 25M gift, ACCN money, and buyout windfall if Dino leaves The Wild One will have all he needs to hire an exceptional staff.

It really isn't worth worrying about anymore, all I know is the NC St game is the next opportunity to make a solid statement after 2 really poor efforts on ESPN/ABC. That is my concern as a fan.. There are good football coaches out there if the time arises and like you said, Hack will have some money in his pocket as well. Sometimes I think that a 4 to 5 year window is really all you are going to get out of most coaches for one reason or another, unless it's 1 of 5-6 jobs and you win at a really high rate. How long before Texas A&M Starts complaining about Fisher? (I bet they already have... It never ends)

Wake is a flat-out dangerous team; the most dangerous team on the schedule ahead, imo.

I watched some of the Elon game and where did this QB come from? Newman throws the best and most accurate deep ball I've seen this year. Effortless release. But he's a big, lumbering kid. Robinson and company could really hurt him. The super extended delay they do on the RPO I think is meant to slow down the opponent's rush. But Wake's oline looked real good, at least against Elon.

It really isn't worth worrying about anymore, all I know is the NC St game is the next opportunity to make a solid statement after 2 really poor efforts on ESPN/ABC. That is my concern as a fan.. There are good football coaches out there if the time arises and like you said, Hack will have some money in his pocket as well. Sometimes I think that a 4 to 5 year window is really all you are going to get out of most coaches for one reason or another.
i tend to worry too much about bad showings against great teams. when i see clemson or alabama murder some other school, i don't think much about it - i rarely think, boy that team stinks. maryland, that's bad, but does anyone really watch that game besides us?

Maybe Dino leaves, maybe he stays, but ill defined "lack of fan support" as a reason seems like a cop out to me.

Attendance is down everywhere. I mean, Penn State and Alabama are reducing stadium capacity. But our attendance is trending up, in defiance of a nationwide trend. Yes, from a lower baseline, but still...

When I met with my Orange Club rep last year, I was told that football donations were up significantly over the prior year, and were in a multi-year uptrend. We just got a $25M gift from an alum. We're sinking over $100M into the dome.

When I watch away games, I can often clearly hear LGO chants on the telecast.

All this on the back of 15 years of mediocre to bad football, and Dino's 4-8, 4-8, 10-3, and now 2-2. I love the guy and hope he stays, but there are precious few places that would give significantly more fan support on the basis of the facts as they stand.
Excellent post.

and that hire will tell us a lot about the AD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom