Not what we wanted but pretty much meaningless | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Not what we wanted but pretty much meaningless

People get suspicious when you pop up after 3 years. Then start bragging how estatic you are about the team. True fans stick around through thick and thin.

We got Fran and Erob. I met those guys when they were at Temple. Recruited one of my players. You can tell they were going to be special. They are going to bring in elite talents to SU. They have to match their recruiting with the program development and coaching though.
I think they all have been preparing for this moment for years. Talent makes coaching easier, and having the trust of your players is always a key point in winning.

I think they all have been preparing for this moment for years. Talent makes coaching easier, and having the trust of your players is always a key point in winning.
Of course. It helps a lot when you have studs but you can underacieve if you dont take care of the other stuff. Fran knows he needs to build a program. Not a team.

People get suspicious when you pop up after 3 years. Then start bragging how estatic you are about the team. True fans stick around through thick and thin.

We got Fran and Erob. I met those guys when they were at Temple. Recruited one of my players. You can tell they were going to be special. They are going to bring in elite talents to SU. They have to match their recruiting with the program development and coaching though.
Couple points

1 Its interesting if

We got Fran and Erob. I met those guys when they were at Temple. Recruited one of my players. You can tell they were going to be special. They are going to bring in elite talents to SU. They have to match their recruiting with program development and coaching though.
It is really interesting that people would actually think that a fan isnt a fan because they didn't or dont post on one particular site. First time I have ever heard that one.

I agree that they "have to match recruiting with program and player development, and most importantly game planning and gameday coaching and in game adjustments.

My actual question to you was about Northeast recruiting. As you know I got into a rather large lets say spat with some of your friends on here a few years back. I was pointing out that a good recruiter can get good players anywhere. Seems like you agree with that point. I didnt particularly think the past regime were good recruiters. Great guys but not the recruiters we need to bring Syracuse back. Further the idea I expressed about focusing on Northeast recruiting was argued by some of your friends. Now that we have coaches doing exactly what I asked for by focusing on the Northeast recruits it will be interesting to watch this strategy and approach play out. Off to a great start by any measure when 5 legit 4 star recruits from the Northeast join us in a 16 day period.

Couple points

1 Its interesting if

It is really interesting that people would actually think that a fan isnt a fan because they didn't or dont post on one particular site. First time I have ever heard that one.

I agree that they "have to match recruiting with program and player development, and most importantly game planning and gameday coaching and in game adjustments.

My actual question to you was about Northeast recruiting. As you know I got into a rather large lets say spat with some of your friends on here a few years back. I was pointing out that a good recruiter can get good players anywhere. Seems like you agree with that point. I didnt particularly think the past regime were good recruiters. Great guys but not the recruiters we need to bring Syracuse back. Further the idea I expressed about focusing on Northeast recruiting was argued by some of your friends. Now that we have coaches doing exactly what I asked for by focusing on the Northeast recruits it will be interesting to watch this strategy and approach play out. Off to a great start by any measure when 5 legit 4 star recruits from the Northeast join us in a 16 day period.
Ive caught several trolls here. Almost all of them come out of no where or post at particular times, never consistent.

SU had a couple of good recuiters in the past. Not as good as Fran E Rob or Nick Williams. All of us asked for better recruiting. All teams strive to recruit well in their region. We just havent had this quality of recruitiers at SU. Weve been breaking down Fran's recruiting every day for a month. Now you want to pop in and tell us what we already know and have been excited about?

Well I am glad we are all on the same page with our new coaches, the recruits and the Northeast strategy. With all due respect I was on here for years posting. I just left this site and focused on some others when we had the "the recruits are great, Babers is great, we will be a winning program under him" talk from your friends on here. That was the point of contention. Its funny the thread you posted from 3 years ago actually shows it.

BUT since we are all on the same page now and have the "the good recruiters, and northeast strategy I implored" I am leaving it alone. With the pathetic humiliating loses and play over the Babers term I was tempted to bring out some of the posts of your friends, but I let it alone because at the end of the day we all want SU to succeed.

Well I am glad we are all on the same page with our new coaches, the recruits and the Northeast strategy. With all due respect I was on here for years posting. I just left this site and focused on some others when we had the "the recruits are great, Babers is great, we will be a winning program under him" talk from your friends on here. That was the point of contention. Its funny the thread you posted from 3 years ago actually shows it.

BUT since we are all on the same page now and have the "the good recruiters, and northeast strategy I implored" I am leaving it alone. With the pathetic humiliating loses and play over the Babers term I was tempted to bring out some of the posts of your friends, but I let it alone because at the end of the day we all want SU to succeed.
Many many people wanted Babers fired prior to this season, myself included. You come on here speaking in generalities and saying "your friends" and you wonder why people think you are a troll? Crying about fans having optimism is weird. You will find that on any teams board.

The Northeast strategy only works if you have elite recruiters and resources to go head to head with Penn State and win at least half of those battles. That’s what will return this program to where it should be.

I can’t speak for others, but I personally was doubtful of a Northeast strategy because the university wasn’t hiring the level of recruiters necessary to be successful nor were they investing in the program at the level necessary to be successful. That worm has clearly turned. But it doesn’t happen without guys like Fran and ERob and significant levels of NIL money to land a guy like McCord. If you employ a NE strategy without people and resources like that, you end up with the 2nd and 3rd tier which is limited in this region. That’s why recruiting places like the Carolinas, GA and FL were so important to Babers staff because they couldn’t compete head to head with PSU for blue chip northeast recruits, and the 2nd and 3rd tier of recruits in those states are generally better than the 2nd and 3rd tier of the Northeast.

The Northeast strategy only works if you have elite recruiters and resources to go head to head with Penn State and win at least half of those battles. That’s what will return this program to where it should be.

I can’t speak for others, but I personally was doubtful of a Northeast strategy because the university wasn’t hiring the level of recruiters necessary to be successful nor were they investing in the program at the level necessary to be successful. That worm has clearly turned. But it doesn’t happen without guys like Fran and ERob and significant levels of NIL money to land a guy like McCord. If you employ a NE strategy without people and resources like that, you end up with the 2nd and 3rd tier which is limited in this region. That’s why recruiting places like the Carolinas, GA and FL were so important to Babers staff because they couldn’t compete head to head with PSU for blue chip northeast recruits, and the 2nd and 3rd tier of recruits in those states are generally better than the 2nd and 3rd tier of the Northeast

NIL wasnt a thing when we were arguing years back. Again I am going to leave it at "glad we are all in agreement with the new coaches and recruiting strategy". It is going to take us a few cycles to build a sustainable base, but 3 weeks in and we are well on our way. Really impressed with what the new staff has brought in coaching wise and recruits in such a short time..... and we have 2 or 3 more 4 stars that are going to join in the next couple weeks.

Many many people wanted Babers fired prior to this season, myself included. You come on here speaking in generalities and saying "your friends" and you wonder why people think you are a troll? Crying about fans having optimism is weird. You will find that on any teams board.
If you think being proven 100% wrong about Babers and the program was you "fans having optimism", that is a big stretch. It was simply MAC coach having a MAC recruiting strategy and not "putting a fence" around his territory. I guess in the few years I stopped posting on here you came to the same realization about Babers that some had ridiculed me for years prior. Thats cool, I wasn't here to see it. Again I wish I would've been wrong and we would have had success. Instead we had what I predicted. No need for apologies from you guys or conversely "I told you so" from me which is why i didn't come on here posting like that. I simply posted about being happy about the new coaches and recruits. You brought up old stuff. Again just happy about the direction of the program.

With regard to finding homers and hopeful fans "on any teams board" this is true. But I thought this was a place where people "know about recruiting", and building programs etc. Anybody that knew anything about recruiting saw what we would be under Babers as a P5 head coach with his first 2 classes and the targets they went after "hard". But no more about the past, lets just do the "fans being optimistic" thing since we actually have a reason to be with the new regime.

If you think being proven 100% wrong about Babers and the program was you "fans having optimism", that is a big stretch. It was simply MAC coach having a MAC recruiting strategy and not "putting a fence" around his territory. I guess in the few years I stopped posting on here you came to the same realization about Babers that some had ridiculed me for years prior. Thats cool, I wasn't here to see it. Again I wish I would've been wrong and we would have had success. Instead we had what I predicted. No need for apologies from you guys or conversely "I told you so" from me which is why i didn't come on here posting like that. I simply posted about being happy about the new coaches and recruits. You brought up old stuff. Again just happy about the direction of the program.

With regard to finding homers and hopeful fans "on any teams board" this is true. But I thought this was a place where people "know about recruiting", and building programs etc. Anybody that knew anything about recruiting saw what we would be under Babers as a P5 head coach with his first 2 classes and the targets they went after "hard". But no more about the past, lets just do the "fans being optimistic" thing since we actually have a reason to be with the new regime.
What a corny post. You bring no value here. You just repeat what everyone else said 10 years go. "Your friends" that's such a rutgers thing to say. Too bad we got Fran and they dont lmao.

NIL wasnt a thing when we were arguing years back. Again I am going to leave it at "glad we are all in agreement with the new coaches and recruiting strategy". It is going to take us a few cycles to build a sustainable base, but 3 weeks in and we are well on our way. Really impressed with what the new staff has brought in coaching wise and recruits in such a short time... and we have 2 or 3 more 4 stars that are going to join in the next couple weeks.
They've always recruited the north east. The last 20 years they couldnt get the top guys. It takes having the #1 recruiter in the country as your head coach to get them. You waited 3 years just to be proven wrong again. lol

I can’t speak for others, but I personally was doubtful of a Northeast strategy because the university wasn’t hiring the level of recruiters necessary to be successful nor were they investing in the program at the level necessary to be successful. That worm has clearly turned. But it doesn’t happen without guys like Fran and ERob and significant levels of NIL money to land a guy like McCord. If you employ a NE strategy without people and resources like that, you end up with the 2nd and 3rd tier which is limited in this region. That’s why recruiting places like the Carolinas, GA and FL were so important to Babers staff because they couldn’t compete head to head with PSU for blue chip northeast recruits, and the 2nd and 3rd tier of recruits in those states are generally better than the 2nd and 3rd tier of the Northeast.

Penn state for closest, sure. Michigan is invested. Lots of the top kids were going SEC.

Strong NE ties are going to work in our staffs favor. That's good, because its not just Ped state- its all of 'em. They certainly have us as a viable top choice, which wasn't the case for many of these kids.

Its realistic to expect a couple hiccups, in a staffs 1st year. If they manage few, and we have a great year, its going to go a Long way for more local recruits. Its exciting to be a Cuse fan.

Disagree. That was epic. 3 National disasters. I hope it hasn't hurt Frans chances with the portal. I knew they were bad, but comedy show bad? It didn't help Fran one bit.
Fran was smart not to get too involved with this years team. He kept his distance for a reason. I think if he coached this team and was on the sidelines for this debacle then it may have tarnished his shine a bit.

They've always recruited the north east. The last 20 years they couldnt get the top guys. It takes having the #1 recruiter in the country as your head coach to get them. You waited 3 years just to be proven wrong again. lol
"The last 20 years they couldnt get top guys" DUHHHHHHHHHHH! Its because they had MAC coaches and a MAC recruiting strategy that you defended. You now see the obvious, congrats. Sorry that I saw it atleast 5 years before you did. Lets just move on happy together that we have the "right guys" to execute the strategy I implored 7 years ago. SMH. With as much respect as possible, this is why alot of people leave this site or dont post. You and your little gang argue against people then when you are proven wrong you come to the other persons side and say their point is obvious after you fought it for years.

For the ninth time, now that you agree with me stop arguing man smh. We agree.

You should look at the recruits from the Northeast that we couldnt get to even visit the campus for a OV under Babers and Schaefer

"The last 20 years they couldnt get top guys" DUHHHHHHHHHHH! Its because they had MAC coaches and a MAC recruiting strategy that you defended. You now see the obvious, congrats. Sorry that I saw it atleast 5 years before you did. Lets just move on happy together that we have the "right guys" to execute the strategy I implored 7 years ago. SMH. With as much respect as possible, this is why alot of people leave this site or dont post. You and your little gang argue against people then when you are proven wrong you come to the other persons side and say their point is obvious after you fought it for years.

For the ninth time, now that you agree with me stop arguing man smh. We agree.
There is no argument. You dont say anything that others havent said in this forum. You just do a lot of crying because people dont agree with your takes. That what it looks like to me.

Penn state for closest, sure. Michigan is invested. Lots of the top kids were going SEC.

Strong NE ties are going to work in our staffs favor. That's good, because its not just Ped state- its all of 'em. They certainly have us as a viable top choice, which wasn't the case for many of these kids.

Its realistic to expect a couple hiccups, in a staffs 1st year. If they manage few, and we have a great year, its going to go a Long way for more local recruits. Its exciting to be a Cuse fan.
I cant wait to beat out Penn St for these highly rated NE recruits. I still have heartburn over losing Adissa Isaac to them. Really was hoping Dino was going to close him on SU. Really confident in this new staffs ability to close recruits based on its track record already. Just last week we went head to head vs Alabama and won Diggs. Went up vs FLST and Deon Sanders and won King. Flipped or got transfer from 3 other 4 stars from P5 teams. Again if you are a fan you really have reason to be confident not hopeful in the new staff.

Last edited:
You should look at the recruits from the Northeast that we couldnt get to even visit the campus for a OV under Babers and Schaefer
Yeah comparing Babers and Shafer recruting to the #1 recruiter in the country is weird business my guy. No one in their right mind would mention them with Fran.

Last edited:
There is no argument. You dont say anything that others havent said in this forum. You just do a lot of crying because people dont agree with your takes. That what it looks like to me.
But you now agree with my take on NE recruiting. LOL ok man ok. Just file this away for 5 years, and we can discuss it then

Yeah comparing Babers and Shafer recruting the #1 recruiter in the country is weird business my guy. No one in their right mind would mention them with Fran.
Except they were our coaches so one has to use them for comparison.

But you now agree with my take on NE recruiting. LOL ok man ok. Just file this away for 5 years, and we can discuss it then
Agree that we have the number 1 recruiter in the country? Thats obvious lol

Oh yeah if we’re at a minimum ranked this coming season it’s going to be pouring gasoline on the fire for sure.

There’s definitely talent in the Northeast, but even Marrone’s staff which made it a priority got the floor swept with them when it came to recruiting against PSU, Michigan or ND for NE blue chippers, let alone the SEC. It’s exciting that the school and the AD has done what is necessary to get us back in the game like we used to be in the 90’s.

For me it was never an argument that we could program build based on a NE strategy. It was can we do what it takes to make Syracuse be able to land the kind of kids you build a program with from the NE.

Last edited:
Oh yeah if we’re at a minimum ranked this coming season it’s going to be pouring gasoline on the fire for sure.

There’s definitely talent in the Northeast, but even Marrone’s staff which made it a priority got the floor swept with them when it came to recruiting against PSU, Michigan or ND for NE blue chippers, let alone the SEC. It’s exciting that the school and the AD has done what is necessary to get us back in the game like we used to be in the 90’s.

For me it was never an argument that we could program build based on a NE strategy. It was can we do what it takes to make Syracuse be able to land the kind of kids you build a program with from the NE.
Amen to that.

I was of the mindset that we needed consistent 7/8 win regular seasons to get NE kids to take a closer look. I had NO clue the depths of Fran's ties. I was wrong.

Hated the bowl game, but I hope it was just a poignant reminder of what we're trying to move away from.

I think Fran can battle the big boys for top recruits. Ped State is just one, but I hate them with a passion. Those will be the sweetest wins, if he can do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom