Nothing here...ongoing discussions with ESPN and ABC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nothing here...ongoing discussions with ESPN and ABC

Picking up Notre Dame really pissed off the B1G. This is now a fight between the B1G and ACC. They are going to undermine every school in the ACC. Have conversations with everyone...get all of them thinking about defection. Maybe pluck one or two.

As of right now, I don't think MD was a huge loss for the league. But if the B1G can pluck off another (or get the SEC/B12 to pluck a team or two) and you've completely undermined the conference.

The one thing that the B1G cannot sell to UVA and UNC, that they COULD sell to Maryland and Rutgers is that if they sign on, they can get them out of their enormous debt. UVA and UNC, and most other schools, don't have such problems.

B1G was preying on the mismanaged.

The one thing that the B1G cannot sell to UVA and UNC, that they COULD sell to Maryland and Rutgers is that if they sign on, they can get them out of their enormous debt. UVA and UNC, and most other schools, don't have such problems.

B1G was preying on the mismanaged.

They could be and I hope you're right Chip. Or...they could be adding NJ, Maryland, Virginia and NC and to that getting quite a sweet deal from the networks along with increasing their own BTN subscriptions. You might have to start convincing NC and Virginia to not like a lot of extra money.

So that's 2 teams/schools...hmmm are more leaving? Or, could ECU be the Navy replacement and Tulane/ Rutgers.

Tulsa is still available... any time you want them, Big East.

David Teel@DavidTeelatDP
This from #UVa AD Craig Littlepage: President Teresa Sullivan informed BoV last night that university is not in discussions w/Big Ten

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

Or so much smoke, that they're trying to stop it.
I think Virginia will be cautious. The chairwoman(Rector) of the Board of Visitors tried to fire Sullivan late spring/early summer which created a furor at the campus and in the state. The governor threatened to fire the BoV, who promptly re-instated her. I think they're all shell-shocked and won't be too aggressive for a bit.

On the other hand, this could be exactly the kind of thing that Sullivan and the BoV could agree on. Sullivan is from the University of Michigan and has been accused of moving too slowly toward change by the BoV. Rector Dragas is a businesswoman, a Virginia Alum, and focused on planning for the future. Who knows how they would look at the move?

Overall, I think the potential controversy may be more than Sullivan or the BoV want to risk right now. The governor might weigh in as well if he thought the change would be politically damaging. Most Virginians identify with the ACC but the cosmopolitan suburbs around DC are more varied. Governor McDonnell is a Notre Dame alum from northern Virginia, and very excited when Notre Dame joined the ACC.

Picking up Notre Dame really pissed off the B1G. This is now a fight between the B1G and ACC. They are going to undermine every school in the ACC. Have conversations with everyone...get all of them thinking about defection. Maybe pluck one or two.

As of right now, I don't think MD was a huge loss for the league. But if the B1G can pluck off another (or get the SEC/B12 to pluck a team or two) and you've completely undermined the conference.

Yep. And Notre Dame is either going to need help the ACC in the fight...or accept that their hoops and other sports teams are going to be stranded when the ACC implodes. That's when the Big 10 can make their move and pick up ND.

I think Virginia will be cautious. The chairwoman(Rector) of the Board of Visitors tried to fire Sullivan late spring/early summer which created a furor at the campus and in the state. The governor threatened to fire the BoV, who promptly re-instated her. I think they're all shell-shocked and won't be too aggressive for a bit.

On the other hand, this could be exactly the kind of thing that Sullivan and the BoV could agree on. Sullivan is from the University of Michigan and has been accused of moving too slowly toward change by the BoV. Rector Dragas is a businesswoman, a Virginia Alum, and focused on planning for the future. Who knows how they would look at the move?

Overall, I think the potential controversy may be more than Sullivan or the BoV want to risk right now. The governor might weigh in as well if he thought the change would be politically damaging. Most Virginians identify with the ACC but the cosmopolitan suburbs around DC are more varied. Governor McDonnell is a Notre Dame alum from northern Virginia, and very excited when Notre Dame joined the ACC.

That's just too much information Shenexon, I'm going to go with what my magic 8 ball said, ask again later.

Yep. And Notre Dame is either going to need help the ACC in the fight...or accept that their hoops and other sports teams are going to be stranded when the ACC implodes. That's when the Big 10 can make their move and pick up ND.

And since ND has rejected the B1G at every turn, they have a vested interest in keeping the ACC stable.

And since ND has rejected the B1G at every turn, they have a vested interest in keeping the ACC stable.

Unfortunately Notre Dame is a lot like the hot girl every guy wanted to be with, that assumes she'll always have plenty of options. Then she wakes up one day at 35 and finds there aren't very many dance partners left and she needs to settle for what she can get. Notre Dame will probably be bitter as hell when they finally settle down with the Big 10 ( because there's no other suitable options left) and likely will never recognize it was their own damn fault.

Sullivan owes her job, in part, to the faculty at UVA and the outrage expressed in the academic community throughout the ACC and nationwide. I don't think she wants to make a move now that will enrage that faculty and will be seen in the scholarly community as a sell-out to corrupt, big-time athletics. IMO, UVA and UNC are going nowhere.

Notre Dame needs to get with their friend in Texas, get creative and lock everyone down, and do what I've said before. The 2 conferences together as 1, add USF, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut. That group could also let ESPN that we might not participate in your football playoffs, and could form their own football , basketball network. NBC would do just about anything to get that amount of product. That would immediately give them credibility, and hurt ESPN, and FOX.

Notre Dame needs to get with their friend in Texas, get creative and lock everyone down, and do what I've said before. The 2 conferences together as 1, add USF, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut. That group could also let ESPN that we might not participate in your football playoffs, and could form their own football , basketball network. NBC would do just about anything to get that amount of product. That would immediately give them credibility, and hurt ESPN, and FOX.
Please god no, that's a disaster.

The ACC just needs to hold N. Carolina and Florida State guard those 2 schools at all cost, and the conference will remain relevant nationally.

Unfortunately Notre Dame is a lot like the hot girl every guy wanted to be with, that assumes she'll always have plenty of options. Then she wakes up one day at 35 and finds there aren't very many dance partners left and she needs to settle for what she can get. Notre Dame will probably be bitter as hell when they finally settle down with the Big 10 ( because there's no other suitable options left) and likely will never recognize it was their own damn fault.

I'd root for ND if it had Boobs.

..that is all I know...everything very tight lipped at this point. Oh and by the way...

Tressell to Tennessee announced soon.
A good fit IMO... and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Give the Big East credit for one thing. By continuing to add schools for the one's leaving they keep inching that number of "major" BCS teams above 64.

Give the Big East credit for one thing. By continuing to add schools for the one's leaving they keep inching that number of "major" BCS teams above 64.

My understanding is that the new setup is the P5 and the G5, BE is in the G5 and therefore BE schools are still mid-majors. BE is now CUSA2, ACC is now Big Atlantic East Coast Conference. BAECC.

What do you mean? The Big East isn't a BCS conference anymore.