Nothing new here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nothing new here

Here’s hoping Syverud can fix the academics and control tuition while Desko can steal a title in the next 3 years to keep the program in that elite stratosphere. And JHU continues to gag in May.

Tuition and R&B will be 70k next year.

Only 25k at Albany.

Good luck with that.

Tuition and R&B will be 70k next year.

Only 25k at Albany.

Good luck with that.

That’s why I think whoever is the next head coach is going to have a far more difficult job.

And Desko has done an admirable job contending with these market forces.

Would I love more titles? Of course.

I’m just not ignoring the realities of today and what the program likely faces in the next 10-15 years.

I would guess 61, depending on his birth date. All the bios I could find say he came to Syracuse for lacrosse in 1976. I assume, lax being a spring sport, that means the 1975-76 school year. So, if he was 18 in 1975, he's now either 60 or 61.

Our winning the championship in 2011 complicated the process in deciding whether to replace Starsia. The AD’s reluctance to fire coaches, even with poor performance, made it worse.

That’s why I think whoever is the next head coach is going to have a far more difficult job.

And Desko has done an admirable job contending with these market forces.

Would I love more titles? Of course.

I’m just not ignoring the realities of today and what the program likely faces in the next 10-15 years.

This is already taking a toll on the program.

Ok so they are not winning by enough for your liking?

Like I asked, who do you propose should be the next HC?

No one in particular in mind at the moment. I hope Desko succeeds. But Desko also isn’t too many years from retirement. I’m guessing they let him retire on his own terms.

While sitting next to a parent at the UNC game we were talking about how much she loved the Dome since her older son played at Hartford. Think it was Lucas Quinn''s mom. Still have to think that playing inside in February and March helps us in recruiting.

Definitely a different time now but we have a lot of good things to offer. I have been to games all over the country and our fan support is second to none in my opinion.

A lot of merit to this. But the three hottest teams in lacrosse right now are Yale, Cornell and Duke, and it’s not exactly cheap to attend any of them.

If you're really smart, don't the Ivy's give out full academic scholarships?

If you're really smart, don't the Ivy's give out full academic scholarships?
No - the Ivy's don't give out any athletic or academic scholarships. Only need based aid. Have a friend who coaches (football) on one of the better teams and he said the only thing they are able to do is 'reach' for some kids who would otherwise be borderline academically. But that's a decision that is school based (and the reason why certain Ivy league teams are consistently better than others in certain sports).

5 NCAA Championships and the highest winning % in NCAA Tourney history buys him plenty of time.

This was supposed to be a down year and they go out and march thru the ACC.

So who do you hire that is so much better than Desko? you certainly can't call for his replacement and not offer up any names...

Not saying that Syracuse should or shouldn't move on from Desko, but I think the guy I would go after would be Andy Shay at Yale. Great coach with tie to Central New York. Grew up in Cortland, went to LeMoyne and first coaching gig was at Morrisville. Guessing you would have to throw Big 10 type money at him ($400K) to even get him interested. If not Shay then Alberici (Army) or Tambroni (Penn State) would also be on the top of my list.

But not sure Syracuse is a more attractive job anymore and they certainly aren't going to offer up the kind of money needed to attract an A list head coach...it's just not in the University's DNA.

Will Gary wait it out a couple more years to see if the men’s job opens up?

This is already taking a toll on the program.

Agreed. That’s why I believe Desko has done an admirable job dealing with the evolving recruiting competition in the face of declining academic standing and increased tuition expense.

A lot of merit to this. But the three hottest teams in lacrosse right now are Yale, Cornell and Duke, and it’s not exactly cheap to attend any of them.
Attending an Ivy is not nearly as expensive as people think. Very few people actually pay anywhere near list price. For example, I went to the Yale site and put in numbers that I think were solidly middle-to-upper middle class in terms of salary, housing value, savings, etc. $73,180 became $32,000. I know Harvard works the same way. I assume it is similar in the other Ivies.

So, the cost argument people make for Albany vs. Syracuse can be used to a certain extent for the Ivies. In fact, Albany costs $40,000 for out-of-state students.

In short, the massive endowments for the Ivies make them very cost-effective for students. The hard part is getting in. ;)

No - the Ivy's don't give out any athletic or academic scholarships. Only need based aid. Have a friend who coaches (football) on one of the better teams and he said the only thing they are able to do is 'reach' for some kids who would otherwise be borderline academically. But that's a decision that is school based (and the reason why certain Ivy league teams are consistently better than others in certain sports).

Yep. And some Ivies are pushing toward using part of the annual return on their gargantuan endowments to make attending their institutions free.

I think it’s extremely rare at Harvard (and other Ivies) for a student to pay full freight. Between need-based aid and merit awards many kids get significant discounts if not full tuition covered.

Some Ivy lax teams certainly stretch their academic standards to admit talented players. But that’s not as common now as it was in the past due to the increasingly large pool of high school players.

Attending an Ivy is not nearly as expensive as people think. Very few people actually pay anywhere near list price. For example, I went to the Yale site and put in numbers that I think were solidly middle-to-upper middle class in terms of salary, housing value, savings, etc. $73,180 became $32,000. I know Harvard works the same way. I assume it is similar in the other Ivies.

So, the cost argument people make for Albany vs. Syracuse can be used to a certain extent for the Ivies. In fact, Albany costs $40,000 for out-of-state students.

In short, the massive endowments for the Ivies make them very cost-effective for students. The hard part is getting in. ;)

Exactly. Didn’t see your post while I was typing my last monologue.

Princeton was the last Ivy League national champion and that was in 2001. Cornell was a runner up to us in 2009. We likely remember that game. There are some interesting Ivy League teams this year but beyond the final four in recent years (which is also rare thinking off the top of my head is Brown the last one) there has not been a steady Ivy
presence deep in the NCAAs. Maybe that will change with the tuition benefits mentioned above.

What's he ever won?
2006 NLL Championship.

It’s been a few years, but he still has the name recognition to get players’ attention... at least recruiting wise for the first 2 years.

Last edited:
2006 NLL Championship.

It’s been a few years, but he still has the name recognition to get players’ attention... at least recruiting wise for the first 2 years.
Been a tad disappointed in Gary's coaching on the women's side. He's definitely made them competitive and won a few league titles, but he can't seem to get them over the Maryland mountain (1-21 or so against them). Add to the Terps, UNC, NW, and now BC, Duke, USC, Florida, there is much better competition then there ever was, and SU appears to be trending down. I know he very much wants bring a championship home, but, I am not sure what his future looks like. His daughter is done after this year, and he has been here for 11 years. Be interesting to see if his promise to TGD keeps him around, or if he moves on to other opportunities. He does have a recruit coming in in a couple of years from Florida who could be one of the best he has ever had. Maybe that reinvigorates him, but this year has been painful to watch. Once their draw control ace went down in game 2, they have not be able to recover. Similar to the mens team when we seemingly couldn't find a faceoff guy until Ben arrived, and it cost us a title and perhaps more.

BTW, I hate having to play UVA at home in a must win game for them this Friday. When does Cuse get to host the ACC tourney? Anybody know?

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the Dome and the Ensley Center not sure why any kids these days would venture to the hill. As an alum and current upstate NY resident the weather sucks. Plus Syracuse isn't on any most beautiful city lists. This generation is different than the one most of us I am guessing grew up part of. If you're that good and trying to decide between SU and the other ACC's and/or the Ivy's (academics) - SU has an uphill battle on the recruiting front. Add in the B1G and other top tier programs. Historical relevance is becoming a harder sell.

Plus from that list above how many FF's do Shay, Alberici and Tambroni have? Add in Marr for an Albany comparison and those 4 combined have zero unless I am missing 1. Desko deserves criticism but the grass isn't always greener. UVA brought in Tiffany and has mutliple #1 recruits and good classes and barely getting into the ACC tournament.

Beyond bypassing lower tuition costs and Ivy League diplomas , it must be the beautiful fresh air of NYS that turns kids away from the likes of UNC, Maryland, UVA, JHU etc. Also, while CNY has it's Victors and Yorktowns , I dont see it as a hot bed of years past and think better lax is being played these days in Conn., Long Island, NJ , Pa. Maryland. The staff has extended well beyond immediate region and listened to alumni recommendations rather than simply rely on Ty Xanders rankings like some struggling D1's seem to do. Think kids do come here for the legacy, the integrity and stability of staff , the inside facilities and the fanbase because the aforementioned disadvantages should not be dismissed. Cuse fan but don't think it would be my first choice considering all factors.

Ten seconds away from 8-4 with a young team playing a difficult schedule .Do wish the number of posts numbered as high when we win as when we lose.

If it wasn't for the Dome and the Ensley Center not sure why any kids these days would venture to the hill. As an alum and current upstate NY resident the weather sucks. Plus Syracuse isn't on any most beautiful city lists. This generation is different than the one most of us I am guessing grew up part of. If you're that good and trying to decide between SU and the other ACC's and/or the Ivy's (academics) - SU has an uphill battle on the recruiting front. Add in the B1G and other top tier programs. Historical relevance is becoming a harder sell.

Plus from that list above how many FF's do Shay, Alberici and Tambroni have? Add in Marr for an Albany comparison and those 4 combined have zero unless I am missing 1. Desko deserves criticism but the grass isn't always greener. UVA brought in Tiffany and has mutliple #1 recruits and good classes and barely getting into the ACC tournament.
78% of our scoring is from 1st and 2nd year players. The 2nd year folks were Dom's recruits that Tiffany endorsed keeping. We're supposed to have another bunch of top-line guys coming in next year.

Yes, we barely made the ACC tournament after losing to SU by 1 and ND by 2. We got to within 1 of dook before they pulled away. One concept I was reminded of the other day is quite fitting about our team, "We're playing the 2018 schedule with the 2019 team.

78% of our scoring is from 1st and 2nd year players. The 2nd year folks were Dom's recruits that Tiffany endorsed keeping. We're supposed to have another bunch of top-line guys coming in next year.

Yes, we barely made the ACC tournament after losing to SU by 1 and ND by 2. We got to within 1 of dook before they pulled away. One concept I was reminded of the other day is quite fitting about our team, "We're playing the 2018 schedule with the 2019 team.

The concept you noted in your last sentence is the same thing many of us our saying. SU returns almost everyone off of this years team minus Bomberry and our starting goalie Madonna. I am sure there will be some attrition due to transfer etc but with what returns and what we have coming in next year future looks bright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom