Nothing new here | Syracusefan.com

Nothing new here

RoofBeam

2nd String
Desko needed to go when SU lost to Albany by 12, when they beat Army in 3OT, when they lost to Rutgers by 4 and when they beat NC by 1. The program needs a new energy and commitment. It needs to recover the creative exuberance on the field that once made it the center of the lacrosse universe, the discipline and intelligence that should be expected of any high level D1 program, and the commitment to strength and conditioning that left with Hal Luther.

Desko is usually in slumber mode after losses, tipping his hat to the other team, making subtle references to parity and attempting to lower expectations for himself and his team while promising to try harder in the future. He was reading from the same script in the Navy post game presser but the look on his face told you everything you need to know about how horrible a loss this was. I am not sure that anything is capable of lighting a fire under Desko's expanding derriere at this point but he just might be catching a glimpse of what this program has become under him.

I hope the alumni get together after the season.

Desko isn't going anywhere. He has 5 national titles and the backing of everyone that means anything to the SU program. SU has a very young team. Be excited that the future appears very bright. This was never going to be our year. We could easily be 3-9 this year, but we are 7-5 with a chance to play in the postseason. In 2007 we went 5-8 and we all remember the next two years. We just have to be patient this year. No team wins relying on mostly underclassman. Once we clean up the turnovers this team will be deadly next year.

There’s some truth to both of these posts. Desko has done a nice job assembling this young team, but he needs to be held accountable for the program’s ianbility to succeed in the postseason in recent years.

Yesterday was just a brain fart on his part.

much easier to defend the top of the pile than climb it. and the best weapon up top is recruiting. we got knocked off the top under desko. he owns that.

Last edited:
I think it’s time for a new look at SU. Desko might have 5 titles under his belt, but they’re from a different era. Their last title was 2009, which was just the beginning of skill parity across D1 men’s lacrosse. There are so many talented players coming out of HS now that you can’t rely on just being “Syracuse” and snatching the top recruits every year. Instead of 50 top recruits there are 200 kids that can all ball equally well and they aren’t going to the same school.

As a coach you can’t score goals, clear, ride, win face offs or play defense, but you can instill discipline and fundamentals. This team has a hard time passing, catching, picking up ground balls and just running with the ball. You can’t blame the lack of basic fundamentals on “youth”. You blame bone head plays like the one at the end of the game yesterday on youth, but not missing a pass or gb.

Fundamentals start with coaching and it needs to improve. They need to take advantage of what they HAVE and not what they want to have. They have arguably one of the best clearing goalies in the country and they can’t figure out how to run a fast/slow break because the middies don’t break hard up field and the offense is preprogrammed to slow it down and play settled. News flash, they don’t really have great dodgers. When they move the ball hard and fast they score. They need to use that to their advantage, play transition and create transition within settled play.

The way I see it, they need to beat Virginia and Colgate to guarantee a spot. If they win out they might squeak out a 4 seed based on strength of schedule and a 10-5 / 6-0 record. Doubtful but who knows.

I truly believe we are about to go on a final fours run starting with next years team. This years team only really lacks a star. There are 4-6 candidates in my book who could be that player next year. At the top is Rehfuss who just keeps getting better. The whole first line midfield could break out. Then the case of Staats who if he transfers could be the guy. We are set up the next two years to win because all of our talent is young. Just hold on guys we are almost there.

I truly believe we are about to go on a final fours run starting with next years team. This years team only really lacks a star. There are 4-6 candidates in my book who could be that player next year. At the top is Rehfuss who just keeps getting better. The whole first line midfield could break out. Then the case of Staats who if he transfers could be the guy. We are set up the next two years to win because all of our talent is young. Just hold on guys we are almost there.

Next year will determine whether we keep status quo or need to shake things up.

I completely agree next year there won't be any excuse to not make our return to Championship Weekend.

The MLL draft was last week, and for the 1st time in forever ... SU didn't have anyone selected.

If you look at this year's Senior class, it's not hard to see why.

Our recruiting slump finally bit us in the ass.

Shocked that Bomberry didn't get picked, but he was a transfer, not an original recruit anyways.

But better days are coming.

No, the fact that after almost a decade of this slop you are saying that next year is crucial in determining whether or not we retain Desko and staff would be the reason an enlightened administration sends them off into the sunset.

Desko needed to go when SU lost to Albany by 12, when they beat Army in 3OT, when they lost to Rutgers by 4 and when they beat NC by 1. The program needs a new energy and commitment. It needs to recover the creative exuberance on the field that once made it the center of the lacrosse universe, the discipline and intelligence that should be expected of any high level D1 program, and the commitment to strength and conditioning that left with Hal Luther.

Desko is usually in slumber mode after losses, tipping his hat to the other team, making subtle references to parity and attempting to lower expectations for himself and his team while promising to try harder in the future. He was reading from the same script in the Navy post game presser but the look on his face told you everything you need to know about how horrible a loss this was. I am not sure that anything is capable of lighting a fire under Desko's expanding derriere at this point but he just might be catching a glimpse of what this program has become under him.

I hope the alumni get together after the season.
Get a grip. It's called parity. So many good lacrosse schools for recruits to choose from now.

The alumni and important people associated with the program will definitely not be pushing Desko out the door. Nor should they.

Get a grip. It's called parity. So many good lacrosse schools for recruits to choose from now.

The alumni and important people associated with the program will definitely not be pushing Desko out the door. Nor should they.
So what if there is parity? So what if there are a lot of good schools to choose from? Either you can do it, or you can't. It's just that simple. If you can't, then it's time to consider a change in direction.

The standards should be a bit higher at SU than some other schools. The school has a grand tradition in lacrosse that has clearly slipped a few notches. There’s more parity in college basketball than ever before, but Kansas, Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky (and a few others) still keep recruiting the best players and winning with great success. Desko shouldn’t be pushed out the door, but we should expect more than the program has delivered in recent years. The days of going to the Final 4 every year are in the past. It’ll be evident over the next year or so whether it’s just parity holding the program back or if the staff has become stale and things need to be changed. I think we all hope Desko is the right choice.

5 NCAA Championships and the highest winning % in NCAA Tourney history buys him plenty of time.

This was supposed to be a down year and they go out and march thru the ACC.

So who do you hire that is so much better than Desko? you certainly can't call for his replacement and not offer up any names...

Fortunate to have Desko and staff . Transition year yet 4-0 in ACC as another pointed out

5 NCAA Championships and the highest winning % in NCAA Tourney history buys him plenty of time.

This was supposed to be a down year and they go out and march thru the ACC.

So who do you hire that is so much better than Desko? you certainly can't call for his replacement and not offer up any names...

Unbeaten in the ACC is great and should be applauded, but three of the four wins were by one goal.

Last final four was 5 years ago this season. They've been bounced, 1st round, 2nd round, 2nd round, 2nd round.

I'd say the year after next is make or break when the current freshman/sophs are the juniors and seniors. I think that's when the seat starts getting warm. It's incredibly hard to win a title but they at least have to make a final four run over the next 2 years.

NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship - Wikipedia

Season Review so far
- Preseason mumps outbreak curtailing fall ball
- Young Team crushed by 100% fit and firing UAlbany at the Dome
- Freshmen make mistakes and suffer with confidence
- Injuries, Tyson Bomberry (lower body) he brought the Steel to the interior defence.
- #3 suspended for Hopkins game combined with injuries led to another shocker home defeat
- Albany, Hop, Rutgers, Cornell, Navy defeats
- Undefeated in ACC
- Playing a lot of players which is an investment for future

Plus Side
- Curry reminds me of his dad, which is a huge positive he is a blazer, with Kevin Drew, Matt Abbott type speed
- Solomon is taking his bumps and learning on the job
- Dordevic, yes please can we have some more of him
- Rehfuss, possible #22?
- Lipka, I've never heard of him but he keep popping up doing good things.

Lots returning next year at both ends of the field

And this year isn't over yet
@ UVA Friday
then hopefully another chance to beat current #1 Duke

Someone once said "the best thing about Freshmen is they become sophomores!"

Cuse Frosh have got their feet wet in '18 and buckle up going forward they have oodles of potential and we haven't seen young Nelson or Schluter yet

I've enjoyed watching this team grow, they fall over some times but that is how you learn to walk.

I hope Varello can develop as well as his big brother

I think he has 2 more years to make a run. It's clear that the poor recruiting classes from 15-16 have really taken their toll. Recruiting is trending up and that gives me hope but......I think fundamentals and offensive schemes really need to be revisited. Sloppy play has become a disturbing trend with this bunch. We also really need some elite SSDM.

Desko is basically the Lacrosse version of Boeheim so Wildhack will be in a very very tough position. If we don't make a final four run over the next two years then what? How long will Wildhack let it go after that ?

Desko is basically the Lacrosse version of Boeheim so Wildhack will be in a very very tough position. If we don't make a final four run over the next two years then what? How long will Wildhack let it go after that ?

If the tournament struggles continue I think you may see Desko "retire" if you catch my drift. Wildhack has some maneuvering room here because Lacrosse while immensely popular among its fans and growing doesn't have 5% of the scrutiny that comes from the bball or fball team struggling. That said at some point the school will take action ala UVA when the noise gets loud enough.

The main issue for those looking for a change is that while SU has clearly slipped from what it was it thankfully hasn't reached anywhere near the levels Princeton and UVA got (and to a lesser extent JHU) after those schools didn't take action and things fell apart. Its hard to fire a guy coming off of back to back ACC regular season championships and what 1 loss last year in the regular season. That said every year that goes by without SU in the final four or title game that seat and noise is getting warmer and louder.

Desko has a 3 year window coming up where he needs to get SU back to the "golden years" so to speak. If Staats makes it here next here, he will have 2 years with him plus one additional year where the current frosh will be seniors. At minimum he probably needs at least 1 title game appearance during that stretch. A repeat of 2015 where an uber talented SU squad loses to a mediocore JHU team in the quarters will probably not be acceptable. Desko has wiggled out of tight spots before to have enormous success (see 08 and 09 after the debables of 06 and 07) but he's getting himself in a tighter and tighter spot especially if we don't make the tourney this year.

I realize the program has been in a rut for 5 years but I seriously doubt Desko will let things get as bad as they did at UVA.

It’s going to be insanely difficult for whoever takes over for two reasons.

1.) The expansion of the game at the youth and high school level is great but Div 1 expansion is non-existent. Tons more players with few scholarship options makes recruiting much more difficult.

2.) Tuition/academic rep - when CNY was one of 3 hotbeds (LI, MD) it still had a solid academic rep and wasn’t as overpriced as other competitors. Large land grant schools (Michigan, OSU, PSU) with cash coming out the wazoo is now a brave new world. Elite players can get a partial scholly from schools with cheaper tuition and better academics.

Here’s hoping Syverud can fix the academics and control tuition while Desko can steal a title in the next 3 years to keep the program in that elite stratosphere. And JHU continues to gag in May.

Unbeaten in the ACC is great and should be applauded, but three of the four wins were by one goal.
Ok so they are not winning by enough for your liking?

Like I asked, who do you propose should be the next HC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom