Nova represents everything right about CBB | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Nova represents everything right about CBB

I would love to know how.
I don’t think the debate has been anything but repetitive.

If you still feel that way, perhaps a lil break from the keyboard and Townie.

I'm surprised this thread is still open. I love the exchange of opinions and ideas around the 'Cuse, but not when it ends up just getting personal. That's when the thread becomes toxic.

If you still feel that way, perhaps a lil break from the keyboard and Townie.

I'm surprised this thread is still open. I love the exchange of opinions and ideas around the 'Cuse, but not when it ends up just getting personal. That's when the thread becomes toxic.
Nothing was repetitive in this thread I meant Townie’s position was repetitive and I took the bait this time.

Nothing was personal I will say that.

You're 100% wrong about this. A lot of solutions and preemptive posts about our future have been posted for the past few years.

Recruiting was an issue, more misses than I can remember.

The zone, I don't have a problem with it but it anything is questionable when you do something exclusively.

Our offense, that's not an issue? If it isn't what is our offense? Fine?

Our center position has been a a bunch of guys playing out of position or ineffective players since Fab Melo.

It's not negative it's the truth, the results don't lie that we have issues. You're blinded if you think all is well up to now. Then again, you probably bow and kiss the same book Townie does every night before bed.

Its funny that you wouldn't read the rest of my posts in here because i specifically address all these issues and concerns and in fact do agree our offense has been bad so far and that it should change, however reading the game thread the other day was what set me off, you want to post in there a million times about how this is the worst team ever, our how "you won't convince me we work on half court offense", or "this is the worst basketball team ever at cuse", no one wants to hear your negative crap 24/7, although alsacs prob does, you want to provide some substance with your circistim fine, i have some issues with the program as well but having to read time and time and time again stupid comments about bashing the team gets annoying, and I'm not the only one who feels that way, just because you want to share your overly negative opinion on everything while making sly comment after sly comment bashing the program doesn't make you less annoying, people are just getting tired of it and if u don't like me saying that tough, just like you have a right to your opinion so do i.

I don't remember reading that Danny Schayes autograph thread. How did I miss it, what a classic thread.

How about we revive that twitter account.

Its funny that you wouldn't read the rest of my posts in here because i specifically address all these issues and concerns and in fact do agree our offense has been bad so far and that it should change, however reading the game thread the other day was what set me off, you want to post in there a million times about how this is the worst team ever, our how "you won't convince me we work on half court offense", or "this is the worst basketball team ever at cuse", no one wants to hear your negative crap 24/7, although alsacs prob does, you want to provide some substance with your circistim fine, i have some issues with the program as well but having to read time and time and time again stupid comments about bashing the team gets annoying, and I'm not the only one who feels that way, just because you want to share your overly negative opinion on everything while making sly comment after sly comment bashing the program doesn't make you less annoying, people are just getting tired of it and if u don't like me saying that tough, just like you have a right to your opinion so do i.

I post in detail in normal threads, the game thread you dont post full analysis.

I don't remember reading that Danny Schayes autograph thread. How did I miss it, what a classic thread.

How about we revive that twitter account.
the guy presented as a whiner and did not come off well . . . but at the end of the day, he was just an old man looking for some camaraderie from fellow orange fans and we crapped all over him like a mob. it wasn't lord of the flies, but it was unnecessary & terribly unkind. i hope he found his way back under a different handle.

Yeah, we definitely should have turned down the ACC and making like 10x the $ every year for our athletics programs, just to stay in the ghost of the Big East. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying we should have turned down the ACC, but we chased the money and what is all that money getting us?

We have a piss poor football team and a mediocre basketball team. Nova chose not to upgrade to FBS football and didn't chase conference realignment and it has worked out very well for them. They managed to raise the money necessary to do a major renovation of their on campus arena and their basketball program has never looked better.

History tells a story. Take a look at what sanctions did to us last time. Yes, we have had recruiting misses and they have hurt. But the sanctions were a killer.

how many coaches survive two rounds of sanctions on their watch?

For the most part, the game threads are the same group of posters posting hot take after hot take. Yes it's ugly to read at times and I have no idea why I even read them to be honest. It's not the place to get deep analysis because people are busy watching the game at the same time. That's why I would recommend ignoring them if they bother you that much and just wait until things settle down after the game and you'll get a lot of good insights both positive and negative.

The one good thing about the game threads is at least the people still care enough about the games and the program to watch even while we're struggling. To me, that's better than a few on here who have already bailed and don't watch the games anymore and seem to be proud of it.

how many coaches survive two rounds of sanctions on their watch?
What is the point of the question? You already know the answer. How many spend over 40 years at the same school?

I'm not saying we should have turned down the ACC, but we chased the money and what is all that money getting us?

We have a piss poor football team and a mediocre basketball team. Nova chose not to upgrade to FBS football and didn't chase conference realignment and it has worked out very well for them. They managed to raise the money necessary to do a major renovation of their on campus arena and their basketball program has never looked better.
Football money is still what drives the train. No one knows if we will ever compete with the Clemson's, the Florida State's, the Miami's in Football or the Duke's, The North Carolina's in Basketball, but can we revisit this thread in ten years. What can Dino Babers do for the Cuse football program. What will our next head coach do for the basketball program. What will the Nova program be like when Jay Wright leaves or retires.

I think we are better off with the football money coming in than being Nova or Yukon.

the guy presented as a whiner and did not come off well . . . but at the end of the day, he was just an old man looking for some camaraderie from fellow orange fans and we crapped all over him like a mob. it wasn't lord of the flies, but it was unnecessary & terribly unkind. i hope he found his way back under a different handle.

I think he now posts under the handle KaiserUEO.

For the most part, the game threads are the same group of posters posting hot take after hot take. Yes it's ugly to read at times and I have no idea why I even read them to be honest. It's not the place to get deep analysis because people are busy watching the game at the same time. That's why I would recommend ignoring them if they bother you that much and just wait until things settle down after the game and you'll get a lot of good insights both positive and negative.

The one good thing about the game threads is at least the people still care enough about the games and the program to watch even while we're struggling. To me, that's better than a few on here who have already bailed and don't watch the games anymore and seem to be proud of it.

During this season, the game threads are basically like attending an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. We are just there to support each other and suffer together and hopefully make our way through this in one piece.

Dude. Punctuation. Use it.

exactly. 2009 to 2014 was the best sustained 6 year period in su history. then sanctions hit.
any critique of the program that does not put heavy weight on sanctions is unserious, imo. the next three years will tell us more about the state of the program than the last three.
Then 2014 hit and we didn’t recruit a PG till last year and Howard Washington.
Sanctions aren’t why we have gone 3 straight recruiting cycles without a PG recruit.
Sanctions are such an easy excuse.
Coaches on the road are used as well.
When 2 of your coaches JB and Hop are with USA Basketball in 2014 and 2016 how does that hurt when you can only have 2 coaches on the road?

Our sustained excellence had to do with the fact we had
Jonny Flynn 2009
Scoop Jardine 2010-2012
Brandon Triche 2010-2013
Dion Waiters 2011-2012
Michael Carter-Williams 2013
Tyler Ennis 2014

Sanctions took 2 scholarships away.
The history has shown we haven’t used 13 scholarships on all basketball players and non-walkons since 2003.
We lost 3 scholarships for 1 year.
No backup PG behind Greene hurt us.
Recruiting wasn’t killed by sanctions.
That didn’t kill us and people making that excuse are doing just that making an excuse.
JB hurt recruiting in that time.
Hop was setup to fail starting next year. Hop left for Washington and boom JB became more motivated on recruiting.
Griffin got Bazley
Autry got Carey
Boeheim got Tucker till Duke stole him and got Buddy.

We have a good recruiting class.
Sanctions aren’t why we fell. It contributed no doubt but the problems went well beyond that.

Football money is still what drives the train. No one knows if we will ever compete with the Clemson's, the Florida State's, the Miami's in Football or the Duke's, The North Carolina's in Basketball, but can we revisit this thread in ten years. What can Dino Babers do for the Cuse football program. What will our next head coach do for the basketball program. What will the Nova program be like when Jay Wright leaves or retires.

I think we are better off with the football money coming in than being Nova or Yukon.

I agree with you.

But the guy presents an interesting question that I don't believe 99% of fans consider: what's the point of it all? For the AD, it's money. That that's the only thing that matters is taken as a given by most fans. I can see how someone on this board could look at Nova and the winning and the quality play and think it's kind of weird that chasing money is a weird, unsatisfiable goal for a university athletic program.

When 2 of your coaches JB and Hop are with USA Basketball in 2014 and 2016 how does that hurt when you can only have 2 coaches on the road?

Hop was setup to fail starting next year. Hop left for Washington and boom JB became more motivated on recruiting.

Hopkins was officially named coach in waiting in June 2015 to take over after the 2017-18 season, however it was no secret that he was going to be the next coach before that.
Mike Hopkins officially named Syracuse's head-coach designate

It hurts when the two coaches on the road aren't getting commitments from players. I'm not saying that GMAC and Red didn't do a good job, but it's easy to look back and ask if there was anything more that JB and Hop could have done.

This is a slipperly slope. You had a guy who was gonna retire but didn't want to retire. You had the next coach on the bench who wanted to start making decisions but in reality couldn't. Again, considering how everything played out, how could JB and Hop have handled it differently.

Nova couldn't upgrade to FBS if they wanted to. You think SU is a small, private school? Nova is a tiny, private school that has little local connection given that it is not in Philly. They're exactly where they belong.

The football team is not piss poor. Sans the end of year, they played with every team on the docket. SU could not afford to pass up the ACC deal. They risked being what UConn is now; on the outside looking in and waiting for a B1G invite.

I agree with you.

But the guy presents an interesting question that I don't believe 99% of fans consider: what's the point of it all? For the AD, it's money. That that's the only thing that matters is taken as a given by most fans. I can see how someone on this board could look at Nova and the winning and the quality play and think it's kind of weird that chasing money is a weird, unsatisfiable goal for a university athletic program.
So are you saying that we should minimize football and go and join the Big East. In reality, isn't it all or nothing.

I agree with you.

But the quality of play has nothing to do with the conference. Obviously, Nova has demonstrated that it's possible to succeed at a high level playing good basketball in the Big East. But what is supposed to be the reason that going to the ACC affected Syracuse's quality of play or success? Instead of looking at Nova, we could look at Georgetown, which went from a 2-seed in the NCAA tournament the last year of the Old Big East to missing the tournament two years in a row and firing their coach. That doesn't have anything to do with the conference any more than Nova's success does, except that the Big East (like the ACC) empowers teams to succeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom