Now that i have slept it off | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Now that i have slept it off

Never in my life have I seen so many shots go in and then out of the basket. Not sure if that gives me more hope or less.
I've never seen a player that happens more to than Cooney.

Not while playing in HS. Not while playing in AAU. Not watching college basketball religiously like I do.

Whatever natural spin occurs when he shoots is causing it to knuckle around more than it should in the air, and then when its in the cylinder it seems to keep that spin. It's really dumbfounding.

Marsh01 said:
I am ready for the ncaas. We have made our bed and now we need to lay in it. No complaining on the seed, no complaining on the draw. Just go play and accept who we get and where we go. Ive invested 5 months plus and this is to derail me.

Great post Marsh. Stop the complaining and go play.

44cuse

I knew we lost that game when State banked in the three. That told me all I needed to know about this one.

It was not in the cards. That said, I am sick of the rotten eggs we are laying on offense and hope this is rock bottom. CJ's sights were clearly off, yet he kept forcing some horrible shots. Cooney has a WIDE OPEN look with :15 seconds left and passes the ball. That tells me his confidence is not where it needs to be and that the slump is in his head. We let that PG kid who normally does nothing hit two big threes in the first half, and no one was in his face. And Rak's foul trouble hurt us on the boards. Keita was outmatched.

What I cant understand is that we looked sluggish all the way around, almost like we didn't want to be there. Do we all have the flu? I can't remember that last time JB had to take a TO and yell at the team for having zero energy and desire. He shouldn't have to play cheerleader this time of year. They are big boys and should be ready to play every night.

Only thing I'm happy about is that Trevor can ice the ankle and be 100%. Grant can get another full weekly rest, and CJ can go find his shot. No more second chances after this. Time to play like we know how to play.

Traditionally when I do the brackets I always pick against a team really struggling going into the Dance. Typically a team needs a reboot good showing in their conference tourney to do well. Last night was such a fail. I am not really that optimistic. Too lazy to look it up but who are some potential 13 seeds we could face?

Marsh I always look to your eternal optimism, but have I to know...

Do you think we have a run in us? Or is this who we are?
The play in nov, dec and jan was real. We were a legit top five team imo. But we have been banged up since then. First DC, then keita, then Grant, now Cooney. The question is can we get to 100 percent or close in the next five days

I think we're gonna make a run. Teams play different in the tourney.

Yeah, CJ seems like he could use a mental health timeout every now and then. He seems to play as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders. 2 minutes each half to sit and watch would really help. No one can convince me Roberson would be the reason we lost if he subs in for CJ and Jerami for about 6-8 total minutes a game. If he had all year long, he would've been ready for that role.

JB seemed to trust him well enough to give 5 minutes in the first half against Duke. He played well then. Did he suddenly fall apart in practice right after that?

I think when you mention Roberson the argument always get reframed into this "Roberson should be playing huge minutes!" thing, which it isn't. It's would we be better off if we had a high energy guy off the bench that could spell Fair/Grant for a few minutes when they're struggling. The mental health break. Honestly, it's not like Fair is the greatest zone defender we have ever had - so we're not going to lose all that much on that end. And our offense typically can't get worse than what it is already.

Marsh01 said:
I am in the camp of unless you at practice people shouldnt play coach. I know people who have been to practice and it wasnt happening. Especially on the defensive end. Thats why they dont play. If someone can honestly look me in the face and say buss or bj would have made a difference last night i cant help you.

Great post as usual

JB seemed to trust him well enough to give 5 minutes in the first half against Duke. He played well then. Did he suddenly fall apart in practice right after that?

I think when you mention Roberson the argument always get reframed into this "Roberson should be playing huge minutes!" thing, which it isn't. It's would we be better off if we had a high energy guy off the bench that could spell Fair/Grant for a few minutes when they're struggling. The mental health break. Honestly, it's not like Fair is the greatest zone defender we have ever had - so we're not going to lose all that much on that end. And our offense typically can't get worse than what it is already.

Agree. I wish there was accountability for lackluster in-game efforts.

In my heart of hearts, I feel like shaking things up, and subbing in 3, or 4, or 5, early in the season, is when you send that message. You create the threat that a no energy no focus effort will not be tolerated. It should make practices more energetic and competitive as well. I know I would practice harder if I knew that effort would have a quicker reward. It shouldn't take 2-3 years to earn 5 minutes of playing time.

When there is unfair accountability, there is literally no answer when someone like Fair lays an egg.

JB always makes an example of one player with the quick hook for the simplest mistakes. Yet, another player can play the same way for stretches and never leave the game. He's sending conflicting messages. How these bench players handle it, I'll never know.

Is it "the answer"? IDK. But it's better, IMO, than recycling the same old stuff over and over again.

Never in my life have I seen so many shots go in and then out of the basket. Not sure if that gives me more hope or less.
That was eerie last night. And the toilet bowl shot that hung on the rim for an eternity that dropped for NCState? Weird. Still all in.

Sweet 16 = Success...I say it every year. Get those two wins and then just like last year, we'll see what happens.

I don't have "faith" necessarily because I disagree and have all year with how JB has handled this roster, but I still think we have the talent to win 4 games against good to elite teams. And teams that aren't use to the zone seem to spaz.

I'm on the optimistic train as many of you are. This team has the players who have proved they can win games. They have only lost 1 game where they were really out of it.

What I have noticed as the season has progressed, is that syracuse offense isn't the same because of very good defensive scouting. They have yet to throw anything new into the equation to get some different looks. The double baseline screen play for fair that got him easy buckets is no longer effective. Teams just switch it, or have the guy guarding CJ just play farther up the lane avoiding the screen and then crowding him on the catch. I don't understand why they haven't thrown in a few wrinkles into that play esp one with Christmas just slipping the screen to the middle of the basket for an easy dunk or lay-up. Teams have been over playing on so many of their sets that a few back doors or slips would produce easy hoops.

In the second half yesterday you could really notice Fair being gassed. Defensively, he was just really lethargic and quit a few times hunched over. The kid is an absolute warrior considering all the minutes that he has played and has given everything he has for this team this season. I'm not a coach or pretend to be, but I'm in the boat that believes a few short breathers here and there would keep him fresher on the court and more effective. Never give up as a fan...GO Orange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom