Now that the smoke has cleared... | Syracusefan.com

Now that the smoke has cleared...

br801

Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner Hoops Leading Scorer
I made it a point to avoid this board after Saturday's game and have yet to read any threads, but here's my two cents...

To me, the game felt like a horse race where your horse immediately takes the lead, repels numerous challengers throughout the running, then draws clear in deep stretch, only to be nailed on the wire by a closer coming out of nowhere. If you've ever bet on a horse like that (or owned or trained or rooted for one), you can only shake your head and move on, knowing that sometimes the best horse on that day doesn't win the race.

As for individual performances:

Christmas is playing at an All-American level and just might get there if he can figure out how to avoid the early fouls that either force him to the bench or require him to dial back his defensive aggressiveness.

McCullough is a tremendously talented freshman, but he's mortal. He seemed rattled after that early missed dunk attempt and later got himself into foul trouble with some silly fouls. He will learn from this and will be the best player on the court when this team wins some big games against the conference heavyweights down the road.

Roberson is coming on like a freight train as the game slows down for him and he gains confidence in his offense. He will be a good one, as many on this board have said all along.

Gbinije is a very nice player who does not shy from the moment. Few players perform their best statistically against the best opponents. He does.

Cooney never forget how to play (or shoot), and I believe the best is yet to come from him. There's a reason JB often singles him out for praise.

Joseph really can create for himself and create for others. He looked like the best player on the court at times Saturday, and there were a lot of good players out there. He seems very receptive to coaching, too, and that's not always the case. Most fan bases would be salivating if they had a promising freshman guard like him.

Enjoy the ACC season, boys and girls.

P.S. Fox using that stupid falling snowflake crap throughout the telecast was one of the most annoying things I've seen. But not as annoying as Gus Johnson's rising voice shtick as he anticipates a big play that will allow him to go into full screaming mode.

Last edited:
nothing about the refs?
They had the game won (almost) in spite of some inconsistent and bizarre officiating, so I choose not to go there.

I'll gladly eat crow on Joseph. That performance was everything you could ask for out of a point guard.

He showed us the future and why he was recruited to be a PG. He also showed some of the flaws in his game and that he is not yet a natural PG all the time. I find both of these things extremely positive because we see the improvement and potential while also knowing he is only going to get better.

Last edited:
He showed us the future and why he was recruited to be a PG. He also still showed some of the flaws in his game and that he is still not yet a natural PG all the time. I find both of these things extremely positive because we see the improvement and potential while also knowing he is only going to get better.
Joseph took the ball to the hoop a couple of times and if he had a bit more experience, I think he would have recognized the situation and drawn a foul instead of getting his shot blocked and retained by Villanova. Players have to see big guys flying at them and understand that they cannot stop. A little pump fake and he would have a chance at an "and one" instead of losing possession with no points. As much as Triche got maligned by many, he was good at getting contact.

Joseph took the ball to the hoop a couple of times and if he had a bit more experience, I think he would have recognized the situation and drawn a foul instead of getting his shot blocked and retained by Villanova. Players have to see big guys flying at them and understand that they cannot stop. A little pump fake and he would have a chance at an "and one" instead of losing possession with no points. As much as Triche got maligned by many, he was good at getting contact.

Yes Joseph has SOOOOO much to learn which again I think is a giant positive in the big picture. This kid can be a special player for us.

Actually, the best play in that instance was a bounce pass under/around the Nova defender after he went airborne. There were two SU players uncovered under the basket for an easy bucket. I too, chalk that play up to inexperience because that doesn't get blocked in most HS games, but it does in college. But, out of the 3 choices: shoot, pass or pump fake, he chose the worst one.

I don't understand people not liking Gus Johnson. I love that dude pbp.
The real Gus Johnson would have liked to kick this one's a$$.

upload_2014-12-22_15-11-39.png

I made it a point to avoid this board after Saturday's game and have yet to read any threads, but here's my two cents...

P.S. Fox using that stupid falling snowflake crap throughout the telecast was one of the most annoying things I've seen. But not as annoying as Gus Johnson's rising voice shtick as he anticipates a big play that will allow him to go into full screaming mode.

It's obvious you haven't read any threads, or you would have realized the terrible inaccuracy of your thread title. :)

Nice take on the game and team.

Gus is terrific. Jim Jackson was better than I had anticipated as well. Both articulate guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom