Now that you are in the ACC...confession time | Syracusefan.com

Now that you are in the ACC...confession time

Garrett_TD23

Walk On
Who was really the best basketball and football conference between the Big East and ACC after all of those years? :D

BE basketball ACC the most overrated

Big East...it still might be even withPitt and S.U. in the ACC. We dominated the 80's. and the last 5 years, the Big East has been unreal good.

Big East...it still might be even withPitt and S.U. in the ACC. We dominated the 80's. and the last 5 years, the Big East has been unreal good.

Umm, no. It was a virtual tie before we left. Now, the ACC is the undoubtedly the best basketball league in the country, bar none.

Honestly, basketball was about even before BC, Miami and V-Tech left. Once they were gone, the Big East dropped their two weakest teams in Miami & Vtech who didn't even make the last Big East Tournament due to their inability to win that year. They then ended up being pretty competitve their first year in the ACC...that sums it up.

As for f-ball, the Big East was better with Miami, BC, V-Tech, SU (who was still pretty decent at the time), WVU, and Pitt until Miami, BC VPI left. At that point, I'd say the ACC became slightly better but not much. For some reason, 2 of the 3 (Miami and BC) never really panned out as expected. In fact, has Miami ever really made it back to the glory days?

So hard to quantify, but I think that it's really a push if you look at it across time. Will be interesting to see what happens with realignment and how it impacts so many historic programs.

Honestly, basketball was about even before BC, Miami and V-Tech left. Once they were gone, the Big East dropped their two weakest teams in Miami & Vtech who didn't even make the last Big East Tournament due to their inability to win that year. They then ended up being pretty competitve their first year in the ACC...that sums it up.

As for f-ball, the Big East was better with Miami, BC, V-Tech, SU (who was still pretty decent at the time), WVU, and Pitt until Miami, BC VPI left. At that point, I'd say the ACC became slightly better but not much. For some reason, 2 of the 3 (Miami and BC) never really panned out as expected. In fact, has Miami ever really made it back to the glory days?

People keep writing that BC never panned out. They have won their division 2 times in 6 seasons with two double digit win years and a couple of 9 win seasons beyond that. How is that not panned out?

This sums it up pretty well. And the last few years, the BE Basketball league has been unbelievable. The ACC has not even been close.

It was by coincidence that Miami football started to go down hill when they left the Big East, it has more to do with Larry Coker living off of Butch Davis's coaching and recruits.

I theorize that the reason VT started to improve when they moved to the ACC is because it was easier to sell VT to local recruits that they would be regulary playing against the schools they grew up watching or liking; UNC, Duke, UVA, NCSU, etc. and the ACC was always a strong brand (arguably stronger than the Big East) in that time.

It was by coincidence that Miami football started to go down hill when they left the Big East, it more to do with Larry Coker living off of Butch Davis's coaching and recruits.

I theorize that the reason VT started to improve when they moved to the ACC is because it was easier to sell VT to local recruits that they would be regulary playing against the schools they grew up watching or liking; UNC, Duke, UVA, NCSU, etc. and the ACC was always a strong brand (arguably stronger than the Big East) in that time.

Agree with both of these

This sums it up pretty well. And the last few years, the BE Basketball league has been unbelievable. The ACC has not even been close.

Don't quote me, but I believe BC won the conference their first or second season in the ACC. After the first few years, they have gone downhill. If they were so good, why did their coach leave them and make a lateral move to another team in their conference?

BC won the Atlantic division twice, but lost to VT both times in the ACCCG. It was in their 3rd and 4th seasons that they accomplished that.

ACC was better in basketball until recent years when Duke and UNC dominated but the rest of the conference slipped while the Big East expanded to have more good teams than any conference ever has. The Big East football conference had matured to a pretty good conference before the 2003 raid, better than the ACC. That can be seen by the success of Boston College and Virginia Tech in the ACC after the joined it and by the fact that Miami was playing for national titles when they were still in the Big East. The Big East rebounded well from their loss and waas overall comperable to the ACC since then if you look at their records, as improbable as that amy seem. If the BCS had reviewedf the Big East's status, as many called for they would have to explain why they weren't reviewing the ACC as well, which wasn't doing any better by the BCS standards.

They should have continued the Big East-ACC challenge and done it in football, too. When weverybody gets to 16, they should do "challenges" there on an annual basis as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom