NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.

So the game day guys on espn said that Syracuse and Pitt had formally applied for admittance to the ACC rather than saying that talks were occurring. Is this correct?

That's the word. per CBSsports " Pittsburgh and Syracuse submitted letters of application to the Atlantic Coast Conference"

slmandel Stewart Mandel

What a colossal failure in leadership by Big East. They've had a year to make first move. Turned down ESPN deal. Thought they had leverage.
40 minutes ago
newmug_normal.jpg

slmandel Stewart Mandel

Commish fail. RT @Mengus22: Folks, John Marinatto found out Syracuse and Pitt applied to the ACC while sitting in the pressbox at Maryland.
42 minutes ago

These statements are reason 1 I want out of the Big East.

Most people won't like this because of the changes for basketball (losing Georgetown, UCONN, MSG), but it's hard to argue against it for football. If we were left out of the moves & WVU went to the SEC, UCONN and Pitt go to the ACC, our football could look like:

Syracuse
Cincinnati
USF
East Carolina
UCF
Louisville
Rutgers
Temple

Think attendance is low for football now? Picture a Saturday nooner against East Carolina or Temple...

To this and my response on page 4 -- If looking at this as the other teams are going to leave, then absolutely, we would have to jump ship. I wouldn't want to stay behind in that league. However, I really thought the Big East could survive and get a huge deal if they all held together, and then picked up kansas, etc.

I also have to say that my friend who went to the big 10 just reminded me that for bball this is huge... B/c we travel well and dominate St Johns, Ru, Prov, hall... that's 4 teams/games we won't own and won't have an easy trip to...

I hope everyone here is fluent in southern. It's the official language of the ACC.

Not complaining. SU has no choice but to make a move. Every other BE school is in the same boat and I also love the South.

Just remember, thousands of bytes in coming years will die complaining about the NC schools and their control over this conference and our fate. We have a seat at the table now. It's a bad table, but it's ours. We're going to be second-class citizens in the ACC. Again, no choice but get used to it.

PS -- Remember, not Civil War... "War of Northern Aggression"

True, but if this plays out as it appears, at least SU, Pitt and BC will be Three Yankees.

If 27 month notice is required to exit the BE, 2014 at the earliest for football?

I'm just trying to repeat (and do a bad job of it) the details of what an employee of Time Warner posted last year.

Naw... I'm not killing the messenger but that's not consistent with how MSOs operate nor is it even how the FCC regulates. Everything is done in terms of markets. For what it's worth, this is coming from a broadcasting education where we did a long course on this subject. While I will admit there may be some details I don't have from experience, I will go to bat for what I've described.

I also have to say that my friend who went to the big 10 just reminded me that for bball this is huge... B/c we travel well and dominate St Johns, Ru, Prov, hall... that's 4 teams/games we won't own and won't have an easy trip to...

Right, I forgot, if it's in the NE, it's a home game for 'Cuse. Oh noes, we about to get exposed! ;)

Counterpoint: VT and Miami were hoops garbage pre-ACC. Not that they're any great shakes now (ugh Seth Greenberg) but no question improved over those BE days.

In the last two years, we've smacked UNC, NC State, GA Tech, anyone else I'm forgetting?

Not scared.

Just remember, thousands of bytes in coming years will die complaining about the NC schools and their control over this conference and our fate. We have a seat at the table now. It's a bad table, but it's ours. We're going to be second-class citizens in the ACC.

Every time the acc expands, this control becomes more and more diluted. If this latest expansion goes through, you have more ex-big east schools than north Carolina schools. As I recall, last time around it was the nc schools that were reluctant over expansion. Their control over that is gone...

Naw... I'm not killing the messenger but that's not consistent with how MSOs operate nor is it even how the FCC regulates. Everything is done in terms of markets. For what it's worth, this is coming from a broadcasting education where we did a long course on this subject. While I will admit there may be some details I don't have from experience, I will go to bat for what I've described.

So all of your posts are based on taking a "long course" on the topic and doesn't come from any direct experience in the field?

Anyone think Boeheim will retire 'cause we won't be in the big east?

So all of your posts are based on taking a "long course" on the topic and doesn't come from any direct experience in the field?

No of course not. I've referenced having a lot of friends in television here before. But my education comes from this field (broadcasting).

Anyone can easily verify what I'm saying. If you scroll back up to one of my posts, I specifically showed an example of a Comcast channel lineup in the same market but different state that shows the exact same channel & tier. Also, anyone can easily Google everything I've said about the FCC regulations regarding must-carry rights and how they are about markets, not states.

I'm not guessing on this. Feel free to make a snide reply if you wish, but as I said... this was the field I received my education in and have been in the media for eight years. Just sayin'

No of course not. I've referenced having a lot of friends in television here before. But my education comes from this field (broadcasting).

Anyone can easily verify what I'm saying. If you scroll back up to one of my posts, I specifically showed an example of a Comcast channel lineup in the same market but different state that shows the exact same channel & tier. Also, anyone can easily Google everything I've said about the FCC regulations regarding must-carry rights and how they are about markets, not states.

I'm not guessing on this. Feel free to make a snide reply if you wish, but as I said... this was the field I received my education in and have been in the media for eight years. Just sayin'

Wasn't a snide remark - it was a question based on the information in your post.

Wasn't a snide remark - it was a question based on the information in your post.

Fair enough. But no... been in the media for eight years. Went to a broadcasting school devoted to the rules and procedures of broadcasting, cable, radio, ratings, etc. Have friends that work for cable operators and television stations alike. Yes, I don't have direct experience working for a Time Warner Cable, Comcast, etc., but I have enough of background to know the basic structure. And I'm positive things are dealt with in terms of markets. As I said, it's certainly possible that an MSO and content provider could negotiate different rates for subscribers in two different states within a market, but content for tiers is based on each unique market, as defined by Nielsen -- used by the FCC. Listen to any cable operator when talking about channels, and they'll tell you that they vary "by market."

When Nielsen gathers survey and demographic data, the MSOs do focus groups and market research based on the demographics and habits of people in a given market. Regional networks, then, are often negotiated based on certain market demographics. Those demographics are not concentrated on only portions of the region.

New Brunswick is in the New York City market. That's its home market. When a regional network is negotiated with any cable operators that service that region, it will deal with both the Northern portion of New Jersey and metro New York City as a whole. I encourage anyone to test my theory with channel lineup lookups on cable websites and they'll see this as a truism.

I missed this story last night and was randomly checking scores on my phone this afternoon and saw the headline about SU and Pitt applying and nearly dropped my phone.

Fair enough. But no... been in the media for eight years. Went to a broadcasting school devoted to the rules and procedures of broadcasting, cable, radio, ratings, etc. Have friends that work for cable operators and television stations alike. Yes, I don't have direct experience working for a Time Warner Cable, Comcast, etc., but I have enough of background to know the basic structure. And I'm positive things are dealt with in terms of markets. As I said, it's certainly possible that an MSO and content provider could negotiate different rates for subscribers in two different states within a market, but content for tiers is based on each unique market, as defined by Nielsen -- used by the FCC. Listen to any cable operator when talking about channels, and they'll tell you that they vary "by market."

When Nielsen gathers survey and demographic data, the MSOs do focus groups and market research based on the demographics and habits of people in a given market. Regional networks, then, are often negotiated based on certain market demographics. Those demographics are not concentrated on only portions of the region.

New Brunswick is in the New York City market. That's its home market. When a regional network is negotiated with any cable operators that service that region, it will deal with both the Northern portion of New Jersey and metro New York City as a whole. I encourage anyone to test my theory with channel lineup lookups on cable websites and they'll see this as a truism.

To be honest I only skimmed the some of the latter posts on here and I responded to yours merely to ask if that was the case. So if I was lazy and didn't see in an earlier post that you actually have experience in the field, my apologies.

Anyone think Boeheim will retire 'cause we won't be in the big east?

I think it's ominous that BC was a once-every-few-years player in BE hoops but is totally irrelevant all the time in the ACC.

I think you missed that the ACC exit fee is now $20 million. That stabilizes the conference b/c that fee is a hard one for any school to handle.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times a team has paid a full, contractual exit fee when leaving a conference.

I think it's ominous that BC was a once-every-few-years player in BE hoops but is totally irrelevant all the time in the ACC.
I think Syracuse hoops will always be relevant. The importance of the program is what the fans make of it. Alabama was almost irrelevant until Saban came along, but Alabama football always loomed large in the fans' minds. Regardless, Syracuse has the strongest media program in the country and that alone assures some kind of relevance.