NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.

Are you sure about all that. Someone in the business said last year that the way the tiers work it does not go by market but by state. Rutgers supposedly could not be on basic cable in nys nor nyc.

Sent from my DROIDX

I respectfully disagree. Even if it were true it's negotiated by state (though again, I strongly renew my objection to that), there is nothing stopping the network from being on a basic tier outside of the state. In fact, the Big Ten Network is on basic tiers in various markets around the country with some multi-systems operators. It just depends on the individual negotiations. I can tell you that at least one cable operator has the BTN on basic tier in Atlanta already. There's no regulation against channels being put on basic tier as long as they don't infringe on OTA "must-carry" rights of local terrestrial stations.

That said, again, it starts with the FCC. The FCC draws out markets... there are just over 200 of them nationally. In each market, every cable operator that broadcasts in that market is required to broadcast specific local over-the-air affiliates. These OTA requirements are called "must-carry." This means if Verizon FIOS, for example, chooses to service customers in the New York City market... it must carry all NYC terrestrial stations, commercial and "public access" alike, in both New York and the portion of New Jersey that is within the NYC market. That means everywhere it negotiates with local regulators to service an area within the market will generally carry the same tier/pricing/lineup structure.

States have nothing to do with the regulation and structure of cable operators. It's all about markets that are defined by the FCC. As it is, the FCC has adopted the Nielsen markets as the official regulated markets. This essentially means that when channels negotiate New York City with Time-Warner, for example, they're negotiating to be put on everywhere in the Nielsen-defined NYC market, including homes in New Jersey. So if Time-Warner has a franchise agreement with New Brunswick, NJ to service those customers, it has must-carry obligations to carry NYC over-the-air stations.

Honest-to-goodness, states have nothing to do with it, though it's possible an MSO could negotiate different subscriber fees for two states in a multi-state market (like New York City). But the agreements are made for the stations to be broadcast in the market as a whole, not based on state boundaries.

One last thing: if you want a good example... go to Comcast.com and play around with "channel lineup." Find a random address in Philadelphia, then find another random address in Medford, NJ or another Southern New Jersey town. What you'll find is that the Big Ten Network is on the same channel (715) and same tier (Digital Preferred) in both places, despite the fact that Pennsylvania is a Big Ten state whereas New Jersey currently is not. This is because Medford, for instance, is in the Philadelphia TV market so when the BTN was negotiated with Comcast, the entire market was negotiated even though Penn State is not in New Jersey. This is what would happen if Rutgers joined the Big Ten. The network would be able to negotiated for the entire New York City market, including New York City, despite the fact it's in New Jersey. It's certainly possible the subscriber fees could vary by state, but the availability would not.

I have a hard time imagining Syracuse anywhere but the Big East, but the Big East isn't the same conference I grew up watching anyway. I just want what's best for my 'cuse and the ACC may be just that. It would also allow me to catch more games after I move to Charlotte in a few years.

The academic fit with the ACC is fantastic, much better than the B10.

That said, this whole realignment thing is ridiculous. College athletics had a good thing going. Now we're going to see tremendous displacement so that a few powerhouse schools, most of which are already taxpayer-funded and don't need the money, can have a few extra TV dollars. As the cliche goes, it is what it is. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck though.

And none of this addresses the 2 biggest problems: rampant corruption and no playoff. If anything, the whole shake-up makes addressing those issues less likely.

In order of what the ACC Targets should be beyond SU and pitt
1. Penn st
2. Rutgers
3. WVU
4. Uconn

Just my opinion

1. PENN STATE
2. WVU

After Syracuse and Pitt, I wouldn't take any other team in the "east" if I was the ACC other than Penn State and WVU. Adding SU, Pitt, WVU, and Penn State would seriously strengthen that conference in football, and would add 3 very good basketball programs. That would take the ACC to 16 teams, and make the most sense. I highly doubt Penn State would sign up for that, but it actually makes the most sense as far as I'm concerned.

im curious about what acc we are joining. i have feeling this is all to weaken the BE by making it unstable between conf members a la b12.

i would miss msg bet, gt/vill road games though.

i can hear it now

it was another home game for s.u. at cameron indoor arena

Are you kidding? When SU is in the ACC, ESPN will be slurping SU like a Jersey State fan's mother.

The academic fit with the ACC is fantastic, much better than the B10.

That said, this whole realignment thing is ridiculous. College athletics had a good thing going. Now we're going to see tremendous displacement so that a few powerhouse schools, most of which are already taxpayer-funded and don't need the money, can have a few extra TV dollars. As the cliche goes, it is what it is. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck though.

And none of this addresses the 2 biggest problems: rampant corruption and no playoff. If anything, the whole shake-up makes addressing those issues less likely.

Is that because there are more Private schools in the ACC? The Big 10 members are all AAU certified, something the ACC can't say and something Cuse used to be.

Irrelevant - sure. Hilarious - definitely.

Rutgers seems to believe it is SU and them going to the ACC

http://mbd.At their request, this n...rom this site./mb.aspx?s=183&f=1109&t=7922858

I see myself hosting alot of pregame parties in the future. Hopefully.

Is that because there are more Private schools in the ACC? The Big 10 members are all AAU certified, something the ACC can't say and something Cuse used to be.

I don't think the B10 wants a private school not named Notre Dame. Maybe that's not an automatic disqualifier but I'd bet a lot of money it's a factor in their thinking.

The ACC has a number of non-sectarian private schools... Then again, who knows. I suppose it depends on how you look at it. With the ACC, SU goes with a similar demographic academically. Go with what you know. But perhaps there's more upside to going with the large B10 universities if you can glom on to their big research projects. The ACC still seems a more natural fit.

Irrelevant - sure. Hilarious - definitely.

Rutgers seems to believe it is SU and them going to the ACC

http://mbd.At their request, this n...rom this site./mb.aspx?s=183&f=1109&t=7922858

The value add of Rutgirls is the combo with SU adding strength to the NY-NJ market for the ACC in terms of both TV revenue and recruiting. Hard to admit but true - it's proximity is it's value and not the performance of it's teams.

The value add of Rutgirls is the combo with SU adding strength to the NY-NJ market for the ACC in terms of both TV revenue and recruiting. Hard to admit but true - it's proximity is it's value and not the performance of it's teams.
A ploy to head off the Big 10 and make the conference more competitive.

I don't think it's an open and shut case to go just yet. If the ACC is expanding because they want to get to 16, that's one thing. But if they're taking on teams because they just lost FSU and Clemson to the SEC and/or UMd and UVa to the Big Ten, how have we improved our situation? We're going to join that conference, give up MSG, and be dictated to by the Carolina mafia? I think if the ACC gets raided, I'd rather see Pitt and SU take the lead in bringing together the best of the ACC and BE in a new conference. It would be an opportunity to get rid of the dead weight and market overlap that drags down both conferences.

Can't wait to see Rutgers end up in a C-USA type conference when this is all over, and all will be right again with the world. (Bug Bunny Voice) "Always a broids-maid and nev-uh a broid!" (/Bugs Bunny Voice).

I really wish that we ended up with WV and UConn too. Can't imagine not playing them every year in f'ball and b'ball respectively. Figure we could get a yearly grudgematch in b'ball with 'Nova or G'town, so not worried about that.

This is musical chairs. Get a damn seat already. Anybody who wants to hang around and see what a cobbled together Big East will look like has lost their mind. This move, even if FSU and Clemson are goners is a no-brainer. If that happens, it simply opens up more spots for some of our current Big East rivals like a Uconn, Rutgers, or Louisville. That is certainly better than The alternative of potentially slumming it with a bunch of East Carolinas or UCFs.

I will assume that anybody who is anti-ACC is a fan of Syracuse basketball only and not the University as a whole. If this happens, another job well done to TGD and Cantor for staying on top of this.

If Cuse joins the ACC they go to the Coastal with Va Tech, UVA, Miami, Duke, Ga Tech, North Carolina. Pitt goes to the Atlantic with BC, NC-St, Wake, FSU, Clemson, Maryland. Cuse becomes cross-over rivals with BC, Va Tech becomes cross-over rivals with Pitt, and viola you keep Cuse with old rivals Miami, Va Tech, and BC. Pitt gets BC, and Va Tech every year and instead of Miami every year they get FSU.

This beats the alternative...

The SEC isn't stopping at 13 teams ... WV will be probably #14.

The Texas and Okie Twins maybe headed to the PACwhatever.

The Big10 could then grab Kansas and Missouri.

The ACC wants Pitt and a mystery team ... if not SU they'll take UConn.

Do you really want to be stuck behind with Rutgers, Cinci, Louisville, USF, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas State? We could complete the CUSA reunion by adding ECU, Memphis, and UCF. :eek:

Am I really the only person on this board that likes the Big East? Even the one that it's become? Everyone is so high on the ACC but I just don't see it. It's 1 very small step up on football prestige, and 2 steps back in basketball. Perfect for lax. And the money would be better b/c of a new contract... but it would also be better staying here, especially if they grab kansas and kstate, and maybe even mizz.

Also just assuming we'd be able to keep our rivalries alive is a stretch to me. While we didn't go on record to stop miami, vtech and boston, which is allowing us to set up a series with bc, who's to say our main teams - uconn, gtown, nova, etc would be OK with us leaving and set up a game against us?

I know I can't be the only one nervous by this. And what if these talks are to really get the BiG moving? The Dr is a smart man...