NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.

I'll believe it when it's a done deal, been there before... :bat:

Am I really the only person on this board that likes the Big East? Even the one that it's become? Everyone is so high on the ACC but I just don't see it. It's 1 very small step up on football prestige, and 2 steps back in basketball. Perfect for lax. And the money would be better b/c of a new contract... but it would also be better staying here, especially if they grab kansas and kstate, and maybe even mizz.

Also just assuming we'd be able to keep our rivalries alive is a stretch to me. While we didn't go on record to stop miami, vtech and boston, which is allowing us to set up a series with bc, who's to say our main teams - uconn, gtown, nova, etc would be OK with us leaving and set up a game against us?

I know I can't be the only one nervous by this. And what if these talks are to really get the BiG moving? The Dr is a smart man...

You seriously will be ok with a Big east without Uconn, Pitt, and WVU and with potential replacements of East Carolina, UCF and Memphis? That's the road we are going down. As I put it in a previous post, this is musical chairs. ACC. Certainly wouldn't be too shabby of a place to land.

And two steps back in basketball? We would be in a league with UNC, Duke, Maryland, and Pitt. There is no way thats anything close to 2 steps back.

I'll believe it when it's a done deal, been there before... :bat:

I know, I'm reading Xtreme's post a couple above this and thinking "what's the worst possible scenario?". That's the one I need to prepare myself for.

I know, I'm reading Xtreme's post a couple above this and thinking "what's the worst possible scenario?". That's the one I need to prepare myself for.

finally a little smoke out of cny or that scenario is right where we were headed.

of course earlier this week a bunch of posters kept telling me how freakin awesome that would be. :crazy: :rolling:

Where is Kaiser? Did he go to the ER with 10 hour erection after the Thamel article hit?

The landscape is changing like the Central Plains meeting the Rocky Mountains. The seismic shift is on folks. One comment, though, it would be in the best interest of the remainder of the BE FB schools and the leftovers from the B12 to merge as soon as the shift is realized. My question: Is this a phase I move to 14 or a complete super conference move to 16 teams? If the SEC doesn't take Mizz, will they take FSU, CU and/or VT? Or, with the 16 team model, will they take any of 3 of these schools and aTm? In any case, I see at least 1 more BE school added to the ACC if Mizz isn't invited. And what about the B10? If they add ND and 1-3 others, who now is the Irish's preferred dance partner? Stay tuned, this all to fluid and unpredictable for anyone to speculate until it all shakes out...but it will...soon.

Just heard from a Maryland insider that the presidents have already voted on it and it's good to go.

I'd like to know what the Maryland Mole thinks. Until he chimes in, I'm done talking expansion. ;)

If it does happen, or has happened, are we going to get sued?

...holy .

CBSSports.com said:
The ACC also has recently been contacted by 10 schools, the official said. However, they would not disclose what conferences those schools were from.

10!

CBSSports.com said:
Also, at last week’s ACC presidents meeting in Greensboro, N.C., the league’s presidents “unanimously” voted to increase the ACC’s exit fee to $20 million. This takes affect immediately.

Sure doesn't sound like anyone wants to defect to the SEC.

TinFoilHat_puton.jpg

I respectfully disagree. Even if it were true it's negotiated by state (though again, I strongly renew my objection to that), there is nothing stopping the network from being on a basic tier outside of the state. In fact, the Big Ten Network is on basic tiers in various markets around the country with some multi-systems operators. It just depends on the individual negotiations. I can tell you that at least one cable operator has the BTN on basic tier in Atlanta already. There's no regulation against channels being put on basic tier as long as they don't infringe on OTA "must-carry" rights of local terrestrial stations.

That said, again, it starts with the FCC. The FCC draws out markets... there are just over 200 of them nationally. In each market, every cable operator that broadcasts in that market is required to broadcast specific local over-the-air affiliates. These OTA requirements are called "must-carry." This means if Verizon FIOS, for example, chooses to service customers in the New York City market... it must carry all NYC terrestrial stations, commercial and "public access" alike, in both New York and the portion of New Jersey that is within the NYC market. That means everywhere it negotiates with local regulators to service an area within the market will generally carry the same tier/pricing/lineup structure.

States have nothing to do with the regulation and structure of cable operators. It's all about markets that are defined by the FCC. As it is, the FCC has adopted the Nielsen markets as the official regulated markets. This essentially means that when channels negotiate New York City with Time-Warner, for example, they're negotiating to be put on everywhere in the Nielsen-defined NYC market, including homes in New Jersey. So if Time-Warner has a franchise agreement with New Brunswick, NJ to service those customers, it has must-carry obligations to carry NYC over-the-air stations.

Honest-to-goodness, states have nothing to do with it, though it's possible an MSO could negotiate different subscriber fees for two states in a multi-state market (like New York City). But the agreements are made for the stations to be broadcast in the market as a whole, not based on state boundaries.

One last thing: if you want a good example... go to Comcast.com and play around with "channel lineup." Find a random address in Philadelphia, then find another random address in Medford, NJ or another Southern New Jersey town. What you'll find is that the Big Ten Network is on the same channel (715) and same tier (Digital Preferred) in both places, despite the fact that Pennsylvania is a Big Ten state whereas New Jersey currently is not. This is because Medford, for instance, is in the Philadelphia TV market so when the BTN was negotiated with Comcast, the entire market was negotiated even though Penn State is not in New Jersey. This is what would happen if Rutgers joined the Big Ten. The network would be able to negotiated for the entire New York City market, including New York City, despite the fact it's in New Jersey. It's certainly possible the subscriber fees could vary by state, but the availability would not.

I'm just trying to repeat (and do a bad job of it) the details of what an employee of Time Warner posted last year.

...holy ****.

10!

Sure doesn't sound like anyone wants to defect to the SEC.
It could very well be that SEC #14 is WVU...or Mizz. ACC current membership doesn't mean squat if the SEC eventually plans to expand to 16. There are more than one ACC discontents/opportunists to prevent further defections. The PAC is the catalyst here, if they just take OU and OSU, then everything stops at 14 now and the B10 doesn't expand, opening the door for Texas and ND negotiations down the road. If the PAC pulls a coup and is the first to 16 by adding UT and TTech to the mix, I think, in the grand scheme, the B10 pressures ND, and goes after UMD, Mizz or KU, and RU or UConn. Hey, this is turning into Fantasy Conference Expansion.;)

I hope everyone here is fluent in southern. It's the official language of the ACC.

Not complaining. SU has no choice but to make a move. Every other BE school is in the same boat and I also love the South.

Just remember, thousands of bytes in coming years will die complaining about the NC schools and their control over this conference and our fate. We have a seat at the table now. It's a bad table, but it's ours. We're going to be second-class citizens in the ACC. Again, no choice but get used to it.

PS -- Remember, not Civil War... "War of Northern Aggression"

Biggest winner in all of this may be Syracuse area residents as Chick-Fil-A is going to have to open some restaurants in Syracuse now. Eat Mor Chikin

It could very well be that SEC #14 is WVU...or Mizz. ACC current membership doesn't mean squat if the SEC eventually plans to expand to 16. There are more than one ACC discontents/opportunists to prevent further defections. The PAC is the catalyst here, if they just take OU and OSU, then everything stops at 14 now and the B10 doesn't expand, opening the door for Texas and ND negotiations down the road. If the PAC pulls a coup and is the first to 16 by adding UT and TTech to the mix, I think, in the grand scheme, the B10 pressures ND, and goes after UMD, Mizz or KU, and RU or UConn. Hey, this is turning into Fantasy Conference Expansion.;)
I think you missed that the ACC exit fee is now $20 million. That stabilizes the conference b/c that fee is a hard one for any school to handle.

I think you missed that the ACC exit fee is now $20 million. That stabilizes the conference b/c that fee is a hard one for any school to handle.

I don't think it's an accident that the SEC and B1G are the only conferences without an exit fee because no one would ever contemplate leaving. A bigger exit fee doesn't guarantee anything and the schools never wind up paying it all anyway.

So the game day guys on espn said that Syracuse and Pitt had formally applied for admittance to the ACC rather than saying that talks were occurring. Is this correct?

Most people won't like this because of the changes for basketball (losing Georgetown, UCONN, MSG), but it's hard to argue against it for football. If we were left out of the moves & WVU went to the SEC, UCONN and Pitt go to the ACC, our football could look like:

Syracuse
Cincinnati
USF
East Carolina
UCF
Louisville
Rutgers
Temple

Think attendance is low for football now? Picture a Saturday nooner against East Carolina or Temple...

I hope everyone here is fluent in southern. It's the official language of the ACC.

Not complaining. SU has no choice but to make a move. Every other BE school is in the same boat and I also love the South.

Just remember, thousands of bytes in coming years will die complaining about the NC schools and their control over this conference and our fate. We have a seat at the table now. It's a bad table, but it's ours. We're going to be second-class citizens in the ACC. Again, no choice but get used to it.

PS -- Remember, not Civil War... "War of Northern Aggression"

I had to laugh at a person on Twitter who complained about being in a conference run by NC schools. Is that really worse than being in a conference run by Providence?

Also, "Bless your heart" means "Fark you."