O weapons | Syracusefan.com

O weapons

kcsu

Living Legend
I realize we have some holes but outside of QB i dont think we have had this many weapons on O in a very long time. Without a doubt this is our best stable of RB's in years. Smith, PTG, and AAM are back to build on a great year. Add into the mix the M&M's and we have five solid backs. Assuming that Ash returns from his injury this group is the strength of our O. I believe that Foy was moved to tackle with the thought of our team running the ball more than passing as he is much better as a road grader than at pass protection. TE is also strong with Becket and two strong RS. The kid out of Michigan has all league potential. WR is green but i like the tools. Funder turned heads in practice last year and many thought he might have been our best WR. I expect West to shine and we have speed in Clark and Kobena along with the frosh. If we can find a QB to distribute the rock we should be a very potent and difficult to stop team. Lets hope that Foy and Robinson step up if so we may actually be better than last year.

Inserting Robinson & Foy into the open OL spots was a natural move to get the best 5 on the field. Both got experience in 2012, and we are in better shape than most (with 3 returning OL starters plus a veteran blocking TE). Next question is who provides depth at OT.

While RB is talented and deep, it is difficult to predict what we have at WR other than West. We know the candidates, but have to see who separates from the pack and whether the speedy guys like Clark and Kobena can be durable. Have to like what the coaches bring to developing WRs (Moore and McDonald).

I truly believe IF Kobena can stay healthy we is in for a huge year. Kid works on his hands a little more and he is primed do very well in this O. If Allen is the starter I think he'll have an even better year.

If the O-Line is a strong suit next year and knowing that the RB position already is; if we're able to run the ball at will it will take a huge amount of pressure off the WR and QB position. It will be a lot easier for those two positions to shine when the D is trying to stop the run. I don't want the WR and QB position to be subpar but if we can run the ball down other teams throats and our defense is able to slow the opponent down from scoring TD's, we can get away with just ok play out of the WR and QB spots.

I keep wondering what they do with DeVante. It seems that RB is pretty full. He has speed, could he be moved to WR?

I keep wondering what they do with DeVante. It seems that RB is pretty full. He has speed, could he be moved to WR?

i would think his best change to get on the field would be safety. With the surplus of backs I wouldn't mind to see him moved there.

Inserting Robinson & Foy into the open OL spots was a natural move to get the best 5 on the field. Both got experience in 2012, and we are in better shape than most (with 3 returning OL starters plus a veteran blocking TE). Next question is who provides depth at OT.

While RB is talented and deep, it is difficult to predict what we have at WR other than West. We know the candidates, but have to see who separates from the pack and whether the speedy guys like Clark and Kobena can be durable. Have to like what the coaches bring to developing WRs (Moore and McDonald).

I really think Knapp will be able to provide depth at the tackle position. Marrone's OL knowledge is second to none imo, and he always went out of his way to say good things about Knapp and Emerich. From what we've read he may still be a bit raw, but he could provide help in a pinch. Either way I think our OL could again end up being a strength, and the future looks even brighter with some young talent.

I really think Knapp will be able to provide depth at the tackle position. Marrone's OL knowledge is second to none imo, and he always went out of his way to say good things about Knapp and Emerich. From what we've read he may still be a bit raw, but he could provide help in a pinch. Either way I think our OL could again end up being a strength, and the future looks even brighter with some young talent.
I think moving Devante is crazy cause from what i have seen at 2 seperate practices he the fastest and best cutting rb we have. I think next year when smith and gulley r gone we will have the best backfield that we have had in a really long time. Morris would be ur punch u in the mouth guy and devante would be the so called stallion fast and extremely shifty. I was really impressed by him and couldnt figure out why noone was talking about him. i think maybe he could be used as tevon Austin was at w virginia. Couldnt tell if he could catch as they didnt throw alot to the backs. I am really hoping that the wr can catch better than they have been showing. A very high rate of drops from everyone. Receivers are all tall and long but have no hands. At least so far as i have seen. Moore will get em ready im sure.

I think moving Devante is crazy cause from what i have seen at 2 seperate practices he the fastest and best cutting rb we have. I think next year when smith and gulley r gone we will have the best backfield that we have had in a really long time. Morris would be ur punch u in the mouth guy and devante would be the so called stallion fast and extremely shifty. I was really impressed by him and couldnt figure out why noone was talking about him. i think maybe he could be used as tevon Austin was at w virginia. Couldnt tell if he could catch as they didnt throw alot to the backs. I am really hoping that the wr can catch better than they have been showing. A very high rate of drops from everyone. Receivers are all tall and long but have no hands. At least so far as i have seen. Moore will get em ready im sure.

hey if what you are saying i am all for keeping DMF at RB. I just didn't see him getting on the field too much this year unless there were some injuries. He could potentially move back, but maybe it's better to get reps at RB (although not too sure how many reps he would get since he would be kind of buried on the depth chart?) Either way everything I have been hearing has been the same as your report as well so it sounds like our future at RB is pretty secure.

I'll keep this short!! It feels good this year. QB/OL/DB are really the only issues as to replacing talent. This team does have a foundation already. Its the heart that needs to be relaced by someone. Shark and Ryan had plenty of heart to go around. HCSS only issue will be his inexperience. But love the guy.

I'll keep this short!! It feels good this year. QB/OL/DB are really the only issues as to replacing talent. This team does have a foundation already. Its the heart that needs to be relaced by someone. Shark and Ryan had plenty of heart to go around. HCSS only issue will be his inexperience. But love the guy.
Shafer is new to his role, as is McDonald, but it is a very solid coaching staff. Lester has head coaching experience as does Perles. Will be interesting to see how that comes together -- on paper it looks like an improvement over Marrone's staff.
You don't easily replace the talent and heart that the four top leaders provided (Nassib, Lemon, Pugh and Shamarko); and you can add to that list the two starting DEs and the MLB. So, this the fun of college football -- let the next set of stars emerge.

DB? We are loaded? Lyn, Anderson, Reddish, Morgan?

IIRC, Nick Robinson is a really good athlete. Wonder if he'll end up one of the OLs that pulls often when running outside. Had a great build coming out of HS that could add mass without (probably) adding too much bad weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom