Oats | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oats

Oats passed from current flavor of the week young coach to arguably the best coaching prospect in the p5.

I’d think we still have a shot but the blue bloods are going to be sniffing now.

Money talks...also depends on which schools ole timer hangs it up and retires first.

JB’s lasting loyalty to SU, rather than to his power in the program, will be shown by when he leaves (medical notwithstanding)
If he wants his guy, he will step down at the beginning of school so there is no time to look.
If he wants JW to have his choice, he’ll announce after a season.

Last edited:
Thoughts/comments on UW board imply Hop and his family live Seattle area and have no desire to go back to Syracuse. That’s from posters/moderators with godd track record.
What if he doesn't have a job anymore and his best job offer is in Syracuse?

I think its surprising how many people here would be so happy with Hop as our next coach. He has really struggled in many areas as a head coach at UW. Last two years have been utter disasters in a middling conference. And his recruiting has really fallen off. He has 1 top 100 player coming in and a 3* pg for 2021. The only other player they are in the mix for is a 5* SG who is most likely going elsewhere. I love what Hop did while on the hill but I think he is still a very long way from proving himself. And what if he has a .500 or worse record next year, which is a definite possibility given the talent they have and what is coming in? It may not be popular here, but I think Syracuse can definitely do better.

I want John Becker. I think we could land him easily. He makes just north of 300k a season. We could blow his mind with an offer.
He is only 52. Born a year before Jimmy started coaching at Cuse, in Fairfield Connecticut.

229-95(.707) career win/loss
5x American East reg season champs
5x American East coach of the year

Known for coaching great defense. Man to man half court.

Defense points ranking each year
2011 - 31st
2012 - 28th
2013 - 13th
2014 - 16th
2015 - 144th
2016 - 11th
2017 - 21st
2018 - 17th
2019 - 4th
2020 - 19th

Considering the kind of athletes he could pull in at Syracuse. His defense could rival that of Tony Bennett.

I think its surprising how many people here would be so happy with Hop as our next coach. He has really struggled in many areas as a head coach at UW. Last two years have been utter disasters in a middling conference. And his recruiting has really fallen off. He has 1 top 100 player coming in and a 3* pg for 2021. The only other player they are in the mix for is a 5* SG who is most likely going elsewhere. I love what Hop did while on the hill but I think he is still a very long way from proving himself. And what if he has a .500 or worse record next year, which is a definite possibility given the talent they have and what is coming in? It may not be popular here, but I think Syracuse can definitely do better.
I wonder how well JB would have done if it were he who went across the country and tried to develop that program. Better than Hopkins? I don't think so.

I want John Becker. I think we could land him easily. He makes just north of 300k a season. We could blow his mind with an offer.
He is only 52. Born a year before Jimmy started coaching at Cuse, in Fairfield Connecticut.

229-95(.707) career win/loss
5x American East reg season champs
5x American East coach of the year

Known for coaching great defense. Man to man half court.

Defense points ranking each year
2011 - 31st
2012 - 28th
2013 - 13th
2014 - 16th
2015 - 144th
2016 - 11th
2017 - 21st
2018 - 17th
2019 - 4th
2020 - 19th

Considering the kind of athletes he could pull in at Syracuse. His defense could rival that of Tony Bennett.
Becker is a very good coach. But mid major guys sometimes struggle to make the adjustment to the P5 big leagues. He’s not experienced recruiting top 100 and top 200 kids, but he does Know the New England recruiting landscape. He’d have to land a couple of ace recruiters on his staff. He might have to jump up to, say, the A10 and prove himself there before he can get a P5 job.

Good overview of what Oats tries to get his teams to do on offense. He is more than a good recruiter.

Last edited:
Hop went west to also be with his dad. People keep glossing over that when they think Hop will come back to Cuse when/if a call comes. If Hops dad is still out there, I would wager he has no desire to come back. Staying near his dad is probably a pretty important thing for him. Maybe years later...

I wonder how well JB would have done if it were he who went across the country and tried to develop that program. Better than Hopkins? I don't think so.
No clue how JB would have done, and i dont think it really matters in this situation. All we can do is look at the data available and make an assessment based on that. And in my opinion the data is not sufficient enough to make Hop the next coach at this point. We will see what next year brings but im not overly optimistic with regard to Hop's and UW's prospects.

If JB is involved Oates has no chance - he dared challenge Coach K, that is indefensible to JB.
Oats also dissed SYR after Buffalo beat us in Dome. He said Buffalo played harder, wanted it more and SYR was soft and basically gave up. That pissed off JB except that Oats was 100 percent right on all accounts. I'd love to see Oats here and I hope JB is not involved in choosing his successor. The program is stale, stagnant and mediocre and it's because JB is stubborn and the game has passed him by. New blood, new outlook, new direction is needed or we will stay on the bubble for eternity.

Becker is a very good coach. But mid major guys sometimes struggle to make the adjustment to the P5 big leagues. He’s not experienced recruiting top 100 and top 200 kids, but he does Know the New England recruiting landscape. He’d have to land a couple of ace recruiters on his staff. He might have to jump up to, say, the A10 and prove himself there before he can get a P5 job.
I would agree with that but look at Oats. He coached at Buffalo but lots of people still wanted him and he is successful at Alabama. Virginia techs coach came from Wofford. Florida’s coach came from Louisiana Tech.

If you can coach you can coach anywhere.

I would love to get Oats but there is no way he leaves Alabama for Syracuse unless we offer enough money to make it worth while...and Syracuse cant/wont do that.

Oats also dissed SYR after Buffalo beat us in Dome. He said Buffalo played harder, wanted it more and SYR was soft and basically gave up. That pissed off JB except that Oats was 100 percent right on all accounts. I'd love to see Oats here and I hope JB is not involved in choosing his successor. The program is stale, stagnant and mediocre and it's because JB is stubborn and the game has passed him by. New blood, new outlook, new direction is needed or we will stay on the bubble for eternity.
And Oats wasn't wrong in either case.

I read posts like that in 2005-8 when we went 68-37. Then, in 2008-14, we went 177-42. The game isn't so complex that it 'passes by' a Hall of Fame coach.

I do think recruiting is an issue. An older coach needs younger assistants who are quality recruiters. guys like Weaver and Hopkins. It would help if we didn't get on probation for jaywalking and if our big men grew up playing the game, had some muscles and healthy knees.

Last edited:

For sure. I don't get the clamoring for Hopkins at all. If that's the best we can do then that's a shame.