Oats | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oats

I would agree with that but look at Oats. He coached at Buffalo but lots of people still wanted him and he is successful at Alabama. Virginia techs coach came from Wofford. Florida’s coach came from Louisiana Tech.

If you can coach you can coach anywhere.
And before Oats was an assistant at Buffalo under Hurley (before getting the head coaching job), he was a high school coach in Michigan. He has had a fascinating trajectory.

I know that they have the money through the SEC and boosters but it still fascinates me how the eighth poorest state/territory in the country (7th if you don't include PR) has the money they do to put out for athletics. I'm sure the math works but talk about a mismatch. This is also why Bama football makes sure it doesn't fade because the moment it falters heavily you better believe the amount of money that floats around those programs meets the spotlight.

I know that they have the money through the SEC and boosters but it still fascinates me how the eighth poorest state/territory in the country (7th if you don't include PR) has the money they do to put out for athletics. I'm sure the math works but talk about a mismatch. This is also why Bama football makes sure it doesn't fade because the moment it falters heavily you better believe the amount of money that floats around those programs meets the spotlight.

They're the only school I can think of whose US News ranking has fallen (and by a lot) at the same time that they enjoyed unprecedented success in the major sports. Not that the US News rankings are a great measure of anything but they're a data point that rightly or wrongly matters now. The academic side has not kept up with the athletics side. They're lagging in the things that the US News rankings track (e.g. faculty resources, student resources, academic reputation, research funding, grad rates, etc.).

Compare Alabama with Villanova, which has poured a ton of money generated indirectly via athletics back into the academic side. It's competing with schools now that even 20 years ago it wouldn't dream of competing with.

For sure. I don't get the clamoring for Hopkins at all. If that's the best we can do then that's a shame.
Syracuse, as a community is very provincial.

2nd year at Bama and they win the regular season and the conference championship. Not bad Mr.Oats

2nd year at Bama and they win the regular season and the conference championship. Not bad Mr.Oats
Turning into a pipe dream he comes here. Great coaching job since he got here. Dude is going to end up at UNC or Duke when Roy or K retire.

And before Oats was an assistant at Buffalo under Hurley (before getting the head coaching job), he was a high school coach in Michigan. He has had a fascinating trajectory.
We might just wait a bit before we crown Alabama a basketball school. A few years doesn't make you an elite program. Might they get there, sure. They have the coach and a program that has dough and knows how to spend it. But I will still wait a bit.

He’s not worth it. I don’t see a lot of in game coaching. They just play and whatever happens, happens.
Did he not coach well in game at Buffalo? Cmon...if he's not coming or he's not a good candidate for other reasons then that's fine but don't act like the guy can't coach...but u might be right as far as what he's worth? Idk what the going rate will be for cuse to pay someone.

give it to Red. Keep the staff in place and add a great recruiter. I think Devo would be a heck of an addition. All SU forever!!!

give it to Red. Keep the staff in place and add a great recruiter. I think Devo would be a heck of an addition. All SU forever!!!
Bring in an outside recruiter, move Gerry out and bring Devo in, and don’t commit to 100% and I’d not be upset.