Oats | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Oats

All the things you say are true right up until the last bit...will believe that when I see it
Whether the ACC or SEC will be better will depend a lot on the success of the replacements for K, JB and Roy Williams. And btw Leonard Hamilton will be 73 in a couple of months. Four of the premier programs in the ACC will have coaching replacements within the next 2-3 years. That's a lot of uncertainty and u sure as hell can't count on WF, NCS, BC, Pitt, VaTech to become national powers. .

But money doesn't buy fan commitment. SEC fans still care a lot more about football than basketball, I'll bet.
I'm sure they do care more about football. But it's a lot more about financial resources, recruiting and coaching than fan commitment. Not like Gonzaga has an overwhelming fan base. Texas Tech, Baylor and Houston are all more about football than hoops and they have all done pretty damn well in hoops over the last 3-4 years.

In terms of resources/salary SU BBall can definitely compete with Bama. Bama is a football school first and foremost and I'm still not convinced they would put enough into the BBall program at the expense of Football.
Possibly I know the basketball team makes tops in terms of dollars but the million dollar question is would they spend the money???? I'm not so sure they would

If you were an up-and-coming coach, where do you think it would be more prestigious to coach, in the ACC or in the SEC? Yes, the SEC is now spending money on basketball, but there's little tradition among them, other than Kentucky, who have always been a blue blood. But if you look around, what big success have the other teams had? Arkansas under Nolan Richardson, and Florida under Billy Donovan. I'd rather go up against UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, etc. You'd get a lot more TV coverage, and generally speaking higher rated recruits.
I don't know I think kids today, don't get me wrong prestige and all that is very important but kids are all about status, flashiness, all that stuff and facilities bring that in the SEC and the big 10 obviously having advantage over the ACC, at the moment now and hoping especially with the new commissioner that we can close that gap! Looking forward to see what the numbers in terms of what the dollars are comparable with all these networks are bringing in.

I'm sure they do care more about football. But it's a lot more about financial resources, recruiting and coaching than fan commitment. Not like Gonzaga has an overwhelming fan base. Texas Tech, Baylor and Houston are all more about football than hoops and they have all done pretty damn well in hoops over the last 3-4 years.
There is some truth to that but when a team starts winning on the national stage, trust me students & the fan base will get involved

When the University decides to go outside the program, (and those who have been associated with it) for a new head basketball coach, it won't be Oates. or Wright or Pitino. it's going to be somebody you haven't heard of yet who will be one of the hot young coaches at that time.

Last edited:
There is some truth to that but when a team starts winning on the national stage, trust me students & the fan base will get involved
That wasn't really my point. I was saying that the size of the fan base is not that critical to whether a program can elevate to a high level. We saw several "football" schools thrive in the last couple of years. Also, the fact that some programs don't have a storied history is not that big of a deal either. A lot of these kids have no familiarity with collegiate hoops history anyway.

When the University decides to go outside the program, 9and those who have bene associated with it) for a new head basketball coach, it won't be Oates. or Wright or Pitino. it's going to be somebody you haven't heard of yet who will be one of the hot young coaches at that time.
I would be shocked and pleasantly surprised if SU hires outside of the program.

I always got a seat in the first 4 rows near mid court at S U games at the War Memorial. Manley was easy in the beginning ( no team) the Dave Bing factor made it a tough ticket ticket. J B took over for a couple then moved to the Dome. The Basketball house that JB built has been awesome until C 19 to think that he would not have a lot to say about his replacement and with the loyalty to his players and theirs to him I think we are looking at one of his assistants as our next coach.

That wasn't really my point. I was saying that the size of the fan base is not that critical to whether a program can elevate to a high level. We saw several "football" schools thrive in the last couple of years. Also, the fact that some programs don't have a storied history is not that big of a deal either. A lot of these kids have no familiarity with collegiate hoops history anyway.
Sorry to say man but that was not really my point either . Pretty simple actually just that when a team I don't care who it is, most power 5 team starts winning on a national stage there is gonna be hype and big time reaction to that. Actually what you just said is pretty much what I have been saying. Look at Baylor. There not a basketball powerhouse at all but just like that there the national champion. Also everything we pretty much just mentioned can take a back seat because of this transfer portal! that is going to pretty much put a lot of things out of whack. your just gonna have a lot of different teams that normally aren't that great In terms of pedigree tradition could easily win. Probably like a shuffle year to year

I don't know I think kids today, don't get me wrong prestige and all that is very important but kids are all about status, flashiness, all that stuff and facilities bring that in the SEC and the big 10 obviously having advantage over the ACC, at the moment now and hoping especially with the new commissioner that we can close that gap! Looking forward to see what the numbers in terms of what the dollars are comparable with all these networks are bringing in.
I don't know that SEC basketball facilities are better than the ACC. Most of that type of stuff comes from donations which mostly go to football.

I don't know that SEC basketball facilities are better than the ACC. Most of that type of stuff comes from donations which mostly go to football.
I don't know that either but I am assuming that the AD's in the SEC which could be paid a lot of money at these schools as well are not stupid and know that they could bring in a lot of revenue with a good basketball program as well so I would bet on the latter on that 1 That at least some For most in the SEC are top notch Or on par with most of the ACC.
Like I have been saying that with the new commissioner which I like and the network, the ACC is on the rise!

I don't know that either but I am assuming that the AD's in the SEC which could be paid a lot of money at these schools as well are not stupid and know that they could bring in a lot of revenue with a good basketball program as well so I would bet on the latter on that 1 That at least some For most in the SEC are top notch Or on par with most of the ACC.
Like I have been saying that with the new commissioner which I like and the network, the ACC is on the rise!
I mean the SEC which I hate by the way but I understand what they have Are on another stratosphere for football which some ways probably is illegal some way because IMO I think they have been paying top players & maybe have been for a while. Obviously most don't know that for a fact but at the same time Some money in that conference and the big 10 as well is insane

I mean the SEC which I hate by the way but I understand what they have Are on another stratosphere for football which some ways probably is illegal some way because IMO I think they have been paying top players & maybe have been for a while. Obviously most don't know that for a fact but at the same time Some money in that conference and the big 10 as well is insane
Sure. But that's not the discussion. The discussion is whether they have better resources for basketball than the ACC. They have that potential but at this point I don't believe they do. It gets funneled to football because nobody wants to lose the football arms race within the conference and that's where the donors want it to go.

I can believe that they're even with the ACC, I just don't think they've surpassed us.

Sure. But that's not the discussion. The discussion is whether they have better resources for basketball than the ACC. They have that potential but at this point I don't believe they do. It gets funneled to football because nobody wants to lose the football arms race within the conference and that's where the donors want it to go.
That is true but I think now are starting to put some decent to serious money into basketball. They probably have a little bit of an Eagle thing going to the point where they always believe that though will be on top for football so now they want to be on top for basketball as well And it's not like they couldn't do it with the resources they have And it really a lot depends on the future coaching hires at these big time schools in the ACC . A smooth transition is pivotal for the ACC, point,blank period

Thank god people play golf like him. It’s the reason I have a job teaching golf
you have a job teaching golf? Maybe you can explain to me how to hit a 56 degree wedge straight and 80 yards. Im teeing off at 1:40 so if ya know plz feel free to share!

you have a job teaching golf? Maybe you can explain to me how to hit a 56 degree wedge straight and 80 yards. Im teeing off at 1:40 so if ya know plz feel free to share!
When you get to the driving range for practice pull out your sand wedge only. Hit 40-50 balls 80 yards. Don’t get another club out until you can do it.

When you get to the driving range for practice pull out your sand wedge only. Hit 40-50 balls 80 yards. Don’t get another club out until you can do it.
I’m a pretty decent player. Mid 80s to low 90s, I live in nyc so I don’t get to practice much. I hit the ball fairly far, drive about 290/300 but my problem is the approach game. I usually use my pitching wedge for anything 120 and in and I’ll just shorten the swing the closer I get. I’d really like to improve and I think being able to hit a 56 will help me a lot.

As far as your suggestion, def a good idea. I plan to try hit a bunch on the range later before I go out. I just don’t have a ton of confidence in that club. Rather use the P wedge from 80 n quarter swing than full 56 right now. Hopefully that’ll change this summer.

I’m a pretty decent player. Mid 80s to low 90s, I live in nyc so I don’t get to practice much. I hit the ball fairly far, drive about 290/300 but my problem is the approach game. I usually use my pitching wedge for anything 120 and in and I’ll just shorten the swing the closer I get. I’d really like to improve and I think being able to hit a 56 will help me a lot.

As far as your suggestion, def a good idea. I plan to try hit a bunch on the range later before I go out. I just don’t have a ton of confidence in that club. Rather use the P wedge from 80 n quarter swing than full 56 right now. Hopefully that’ll change this summer.
Sand wedges can be a tricky club from fairway. You may have too much bounce or too little.

Also depending on the loft of your P, you likely need a gap wedge @ 52 degrees or so

Also depending on the loft of your P, you likely need a gap wedge @ 52 degrees or so
Yeh I’ve got a 54 but same story, no confidence so prefer the P over it. I do have a very up and down swing. Been struggling a bit with hitting iron shots fat due to coming up too early. Man golf is so hard lol but so fun. It’s a beautiful day here in Ny, I couldn’t be happier to getting 18 in. And it’s a nice course right by the water on LI called middle bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom