Oats | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Oats

So I've been told on here that teams just can't compete in recruiting with the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC, yet here is a less than legendary coach at what has never been a basketball school snagging an elite prospect.

So I've been told on here that teams just can't compete in recruiting with the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC, yet here is a less than legendary coach at what has never been a basketball school snagging an elite prospect.
such a hot take...

such a hot take...
Is it? I simply pointed out two truths. It has been stated that certain teams get all the elite players and Alabama/Oats just snagged one. Feels pretty luke warm to me.

Oats also dissed SYR after Buffalo beat us in Dome. He said Buffalo played harder, wanted it more and SYR was soft and basically gave up. That pissed off JB except that Oats was 100 percent right on all accounts. I'd love to see Oats here and I hope JB is not involved in choosing his successor. The program is stale, stagnant and mediocre and it's because JB is stubborn and the game has passed him by. New blood, new outlook, new direction is needed or we will stay on the bubble for eternity.

Wasn't there also something about COVID exposure, and no warning about an infection on the other team until right before game time?

Wasn't there also something about COVID exposure, and no warning about an infection on the other team until right before game time?
That was this year. Oats ripped SYR after they beat us in Dome in 16, 17 or 18, can't exactly remember the year.

Why even talk about oats, I am not sure exactly what this post is about anymore because I haven't been reading it but it doesn't really matter . We could never compete in terms of dollars with Alabama anyway, I know how that's how this thread was started but I think people obviously realized that. Twenty three
I do like the future of the ACC with our new commissioner though! Could not have been a better choice IMO! I think he will maximize what the ACC is capable of and thats all we can ask for.

Why even talk about oats, I am not sure exactly what this post is about anymore because I haven't been reading it but it doesn't really matter . We could never compete in terms of dollars with Alabama anyway, I know how that's how this thread was started but I think people obviously realized that. Twenty three
I do like the future of the ACC with our new commissioner though! Could not have been a better choice IMO! I think he will maximize what the ACC is capable of and thats all we can ask for.

In terms of resources/salary SU BBall can definitely compete with Bama. Bama is a football school first and foremost and I'm still not convinced they would put enough into the BBall program at the expense of Football.

In terms of resources/salary SU BBall can definitely compete with Bama. Bama is a football school first and foremost and I'm still not convinced they would put enough into the BBall program at the expense of Football.
I don’t think the idea is “at the expense” of football, but rather, in addition to football.
They certainly have the resources and if Oats wants to build his own legacy, they’ll certainly be prepared to keep him there.

I don’t think the idea is “at the expense” of football, but rather, in addition to football.
They certainly have the resources and if Oats wants to build his own legacy, they’ll certainly be prepared to keep him there.

They'll definitely do enough to keep him happy but I still don't buy they're willing to go head to head against Kentucky/Kansas/Duke and even us. Bama football brings in tons of money as you said but it also costs a ton of money to maintain that program. They have ex-NFL HCs as assistants, and as soon as they don't win the SEC their fans riot like a couple years ago.

If you were an up-and-coming coach, where do you think it would be more prestigious to coach, in the ACC or in the SEC? Yes, the SEC is now spending money on basketball, but there's little tradition among them, other than Kentucky, who have always been a blue blood. But if you look around, what big success have the other teams had? Arkansas under Nolan Richardson, and Florida under Billy Donovan. I'd rather go up against UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, etc. You'd get a lot more TV coverage, and generally speaking higher rated recruits.

If you were an up-and-coming coach, where do you think it would be more prestigious to coach, in the ACC or in the SEC? Yes, the SEC is now spending money on basketball, but there's little tradition among them, other than Kentucky, who have always been a blue blood. But if you look around, what big success have the other teams had? Arkansas under Nolan Richardson, and Florida under Billy Donovan. I'd rather go up against UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, etc. You'd get a lot more TV coverage, and generally speaking higher rated recruits.
From a historical perspective I think you're definitely right but more recently it seems the SEC is trending in a better direction. I think part of that is the coaching situation as UNC (I know Davis is coming in), Duke and SU have been dealing with older coaches whose programs have been kinda stale lately. Some of the other programs - NCS, Pitt, WF, BC - have been stuck in the mud for a while now.

Meanwhile Musselman, Oats, Pearl have elevated recruiting in the SEC. LSU also gets very good talent coming their way for obvious reasons. The SEC can easily match the ACC in terms of financial resources. Looking out over the next five years I could see the SEC matching or surpassing the ACC in terms of on the court success.

From a historical perspective I think you're definitely right but more recently it seems the SEC is trending in a better direction. I think part of that is the coaching situation as UNC (I know Davis is coming in), Duke and SU have been dealing with older coaches whose programs have been kinda stale lately. Some of the other programs - NCS, Pitt, WF, BC - have been stuck in the mud for a while now.

Meanwhile Musselman, Oats, Pearl have elevated recruiting in the SEC. LSU also gets very good talent coming their way for obvious reasons. The SEC can easily match the ACC in terms of financial resources. Looking out over the next five years I could see the SEC matching or surpassing the ACC in terms of on the court success.
All the things you say are true right up until the last bit...will believe that when I see it

Without a doubt. They certainly trump the ACC in revenues, resources, alumni base, etc. Other than the lone private in Vandy, the SEC are all state flagship institution types, therefore possessing greater means. Additionally, with Roy gone at UNC, JB & K nearing retirement, not to mention old fogies at Miami and Florida State, the ACC hoop schools have very critical hires in their near future.

But money doesn't buy fan commitment. SEC fans still care a lot more about football than basketball, I'll bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom