Observation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Observation

Wake is playing against the exact same competition and is improving. They were very competitive against both Louisville and FSU. While the transitive property isn't usually helpful, I think in this case there is evidence to show that we are not getting better in comparison to a team we were able to beat pretty handily.

We got a pissed off FSU squad coming off their first loss and it was a one score game until the kicker kicked it right at someone instead of down the seam.

If it looks like a duck...

Again, you're rationalizing and making it more complicated than it is. This team laid down on Saturday. Same defeatist look they had at this time a year ago. What's going to change a year from now?

Bees has a point re better competition, but I'd argue that if we had talent that was getting better, you'd see splashes of it here and there. Not seeing one or two (or more...gasp!) plays a game from kids that make me think we've got upper-level talent for our conference.

Coaching involves recruiting tho right?

Of course.

And that is one areas where Shafer appears to have done well.

Our best players are frosh and sophomores and it's not even really close.

Julian Whigham just flat out lost his job to frosh/sophs.

We just need more of what we have gotten in the past two years.

Its funny anytime someone tries to bring up a positive post the same 15 -20 people on.

Houston radio is reporting that Maryland plans on going hard after Bill O'Brian when he gets fired.

Of course.

But shafer has been here 7 years?

You said it better than I did.

Better competition - lack of depth - injuries.

Not coaching

Seriously? Injuries? No way that's flying. We are probably one of the healthiest teams in the ACC right now. Go to Donbest and look at CFB injuries. We are in great shape this late in the season.

Lville just put 41 points, and just under 600 yards with their 3rd string QB. No way injuries are being used as an excuse for piss poor coaching.

MadisonCuse said:
We got a pissed off FSU squad coming off their first loss and it was a one score game until the kicker kicked it right at someone instead of down the seam.

And our coach had no clue how to manage a clock. Took two to tango on that hot mess.

anomander said:
Seriously? Injuries? No way that's flying. We are probably one of the healthiest teams in the ACC right now. Go to Donbest and look at CFB injuries. We are in great shape this late in the season. Lville just put 41 points, and just under 600 yards with their 3rd string QB. No way injuries are being used as an excuse for piss poor coaching.

Some of our injuries and other losses happened before the season even started.

Of course.

Done well? When compared to our previous classes that statement is accurate yet when compared to the rest of the ACC we are at the bottom. I'm not sure how anyone can say finishing in the bottom of the conference in recruiting is "doing well".

Why isn't anyone ringing a bell? Which guys?

I'd say Isaiah Johnson was a big loss.

A lot of people here said Broyld and WW were stiffs who were just going to get pushed off the depth chart anyway, not sure who I'm missing?

Blair doesn't count because it's clear he needed a miracle to qualify.

This just in- every team has injuries because, wait for it, this just in, it's football. Hold up, this just in, if you're banking on staying completely healthy all season, you're in for a letdown.

Statesman1 said:
Done well? When compared to our previous classes that statement is accurate yet when compared to the rest of the ACC we are at the bottom. I'm not sure how anyone can say finishing in the bottom of the conference in recruiting is "doing well".

That's why the next guy has to be a great recruiter. No an easy job sell job in Syracuse. Lousy attendance. Lousy team. Lousy weather. Lousy pay.

Best of luck to the next guy.

cuseguy said:
That's why the next guy has to be a great recruiter. No an easy job sell job in Syracuse. Lousy attendance. Lousy team. Lousy weather. Lousy pay. Best of luck to the next guy.

Besides that how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

It's never coaching, is it, OPA?

Sometimes it is.

But in this instance we know a few things.

The competition has gotten progressively tougher.

That is a fact.

We also know that we are playing a lot of young players - we are very young on the DL.

We also know that we have lost players - Rodney Williams, Arcinega, Franklin, Bennett, Thompson and others.

We don't have much depth - that's why we are playing so many true Frosh on the DL.

So the idea that we are regressing on defense simply because of coaching I think is probably unfair.

This board is so freaking depressing. The silver lining is the core fanbase does care about the program but sheesh.

Syracuse football is in an awful spot right now and hasn't had many bright spots in 15 years. Getting excited about this program being relevant someday is like hoping Santa is going to deliver a Tesla with a bow on it to my front lawn. It makes zero sense to be excited about much of anything here. If you want to be super positive it's cool but not realistic.

Besides that how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Liked this -- and would add that we'd like to preferably find a coach who can recruit and coach. Those aren't mutually exclusive. Of course when we do hire a new coach and don't land 14 4-stars, I'm sure everyone here will panic accordingly.

GoHamSU said:
This just in- every team has injuries because, wait for it, this just in, it's football. Hold up, this just in, if you're banking on staying completely healthy all season, you're in for a letdown.

And this just in, it was already stated that we lack quality depth. So injuries or losses of front line players make a bigger impact. And we're also talking before the season started.

The competition has gotten progressively tougher.

That is a fact.
Don't buy this. Everyone loves to say this but the BE teams that came over in the first wave of ACC expansion were really tough. And, we already got beat up by USF this year and beat but had a battle with Cent. Michigan. Those teams are in no way, shape or form more difficult than the teams we generally were playing a few years ago. Same goes for the UVAs, Pitts and Wakes of the world (yes, we beat wake).

We also know that we have lost players - Rodney Williams, Arcinega, Franklin, Bennett, Thompson and others.
Everyone loses players. Notre Dame has lost a ton of players.
We don't have much depth - that's why we are playing so many true Frosh on the DL.
Who's fault is this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom