Obviously, he didn't retire. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Obviously, he didn't retire.

K's retirement tour was completely and totally embarrassing by a man whose ego was so out of wack he thought it was deserved.

Would it have been nice if JB said "this is it, I'm retired"? Absolutely. But did you really expect it to happen? And did you really expect it to be this year either?
In your opinion.

Perhaps it was, perhaps it was not.

It was pretty cool, prime time ESPN, national TV, in the hearts and minds of everyone, his final game the huge video montage, etc. Maybe he looked like a Roman Empereror hobbling out to ceremonially stand as that all happened, but K got all that, and JB got (deservedly or not), stuffed shirt Wildhack hastily instructing Penelope McIntern to rush out a social media post naming Autry as Syracuse's head coach. Numerous 'retired' posts followed.

After 47 years, JB deserved something that didn't suck. Is it ALL JBs fault that it ended this way? Perhaps. Or, could more have been done to appeal to JB to please end it gracefully.

Darryl Gross-esque.

I expected JB to retire when it was 'no longer fun', as he said years ago. Maybe he was reaching for 50 years, maybe Ks record, maybe 1 more tourney season, or was unable to let go of the past.

Crappy ending for the number 2 coach all time, and a Syracuse legend. It sucks and I am naively wishing it was better handled. Perhaps just wishful thinking.

Great, i beleive dignity is a 2 way street, and attempt to treat people in a dignified manner. There are a few exceptions, and they are usually somebody that has knowingly caused harm to others, not an old basketball coach holding on longer than I or others wanted too...

Thats my opinion, and I have read all of yours ad nausium. Thats all i am saying on this subject.

IMHO, the statement should've highlighted how the University would love to have JB remain a part of university.
The problem there is you risk him turning it down out of spite. You can only announce that you'd love to have him if you know you will. Getting turned down by Boeheim on that just makes the whole thing even messier, and clearly Boeheim is not exactly playing ball right now.

It was pretty cool, prime time ESPN, national TV, in the hearts and minds of everyone, his final game the huge video montage, etc. Maybe he looked like a Roman Empereror hobbling out to ceremonially stand as that all happened, but K got all that, and JB got (deservedly or not), stuffed shirt Wildhack hastily instructing Penelope McIntern to rush out a social media post naming Autry as Syracuse's head coach. Numerous 'retired' posts followed.

After 47 years, JB deserved something that didn't suck.

Boeheim would have had all that for sure, if he didn't instead decide to go out like a giant ass. It would benefit the university and the athletics department tremendously to have had a "proper" send off and a celebration of his 47 years, with a smiling Boeheim waving to a huge crowd with a tear in his eye. The guy couldn't even cobble together a, "Adrian has been a valued assistant for 12 years, and he was a great player for Syracuse as well. He's ready for this opportunity and I wish him the best. I'll be rooting for him and I'll be here for anything he needs," quote for the statement.

In fact, having worked in sports communications/pr briefly, I can all but guarantee that he wouldn't have had to write it and was presented with a quote like that to sign off on (or would have been if he was cooperating at all). So he either told them to pound sand or wasn't cooperating at all in the first place.

Great, i beleive dignity is a 2 way street, and attempt to treat people in a dignified manner. There are a few exceptions, and they are usually somebody that has knowingly caused harm to others, not an old basketball coach holding on longer than I or others wanted too...

Thats my opinion, and I have read all of yours ad nausium. Thats all i am saying on this subject.

You are talking about respect... respect is a two-way street.

No, thanks for telling me what Im saying, though.

the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect.

That is the definition of dignity. I treat those I meat with dignity. As that relatioship grows it becomes respect.

That is the definition of dignity. I treat those I meat with dignity. As that relatioship grows it becomes respect.

Especially those I meat?

Especially those I meat?

Red or white meat?

A situation in which both sides must put forth an equal amount of effort to achieve a desired result.
Respect is a two-way street—you have to give it if you expect to receive it.

Last edited:
Fair enough, my point is actually that it doesn't really matter. All I've seen the last few years was a vocal group wanting to move on. Well, it happened, lets leave the man some dignity.
Jim could have left before it got this far, on a high note.
This is not the fans or University's fault this is strickly on Jim.
His comments of the last few months embarrassed the University and himself which led to yesterday.
Jim had a great career, and hope fully sometime next year there is a day honoring him. I'm sure it would be a sellout, and they could use the entire dome.

In your opinion.

Perhaps it was, perhaps it was not.

After 47 years, JB deserved something that didn't suck. Is it ALL JBs fault that it ended this way? Perhaps. Or, could more have been done to appeal to JB to please end it gracefully.

Darryl Gross-esque.

I expected JB to retire when it was 'no longer fun', as he said years ago. Maybe he was reaching for 50 years, maybe Ks record, maybe 1 more tourney season, or was unable to let go of the past.

Crappy ending for the number 2 coach all time, and a Syracuse legend. It sucks and I am naively wishing it was better handled. Perhaps just wishful thinking.
They've been protecting and appeasing JB since 2015. It's been 8 years of tiptoeing around him.

At a certain point the administration had to reckon with the fact that JB was never going to bow out gracefully. He had so many potential off-ramps in the past 8 years and he didn't want to take one.

The situation had become untenable and the hoops program is simply too important to SU's current and future to let it atrophy further.

And you gotta stop with the "stuffed shirt" nonsense. JW is highly respected on campus and in the sports industry. He's been trying to manage a very difficult situation for a long time. JB did him no favors.

As someone familiar with historical Japanese custom JB was offered to honorably retire (harakiri by sepukuu) but looks like he refused, so he was pushed out, fired (Beheaded) thus bringing sorrow, shame and dishonor to all concerned parties. Kabuki drama at its American version's finest. Kept repeating it's not my decision it's the schools. Well the athletic department and I believe higher up has decided. The school has spoken. The suffering bottom line reigns supreme. We have no idea what battles took place within the Board of Trustees, The Chancellors office and the Athletic Department. Reallly none of our business. Remember; JB, as much as he was the architect of the program, it didn't belong to him. He was just a contracted employee. Sad to see him go especially this way. Childish callous behavior on every ones part.

Last edited:
One thing JB taught me "It's not about the name on the uniform its about the person wearing the uniform". I wouldn't be surprised to see him head coaching somewhere else.

Last edited:
Football side only guy here so my opinion probably sucks. Those who know me from the football side will probably agree I'm prone to emotional H0T Takes even though I've simmered down over the years. From the outside, as a casual a fan, this has stink all over it from the U. I get the Jimmy didn't play ball. So what, you don't end this with a release a naming Autry coach and let the kids find out the way they did. I don't care if as a U you have to fing lie to save face. They should have been ready and weren't.

Jim could have left before it got this far, on a high note.
This is not the fans or University's fault this is strickly on Jim.
His comments of the last few months embarrassed the University and himself which led to yesterday.
Jim had a great career, and hope fully sometime next year there is a day honoring him. I'm sure it would be a sellout, and they could use the entire dome.
I disagree with the some of this. JB is an old man, old coach, etc. SU has entire media/communications/PR departments. They should have had a well thought out plan no matter what Jim said on the mic. They didn't see this coming? Really?

Football side only guy here so my opinion probably sucks. Those who know me from the football side will probably agree I'm prone to emotional H0T Takes even though I've simmered down over the years. From the outside, as a casual a fan, this has stink all over it from the U. I get the Jimmy didn't play ball. So what, you don't end this with a release a naming Autry coach and let the kids find out the way they did. I don't care if as a U you have to fing lie to save face. They should have been ready and weren't.

Have a read on this:

See if it changes your take?

I get the Jimmy didn't play ball. So what, you don't end this with a release a naming Autry coach and let the kids find out the way they did. I don't care if as a U you have to fing lie to save face. They should have been ready and weren't.
I think it's important to understand from the way this all played out that he didn't play ball from the start. Playing ball would have been a proper send off at the last home game, with a packed house bidding him farewell, video montage, speech on the court, etc. He wouldn't do it so they did the National Championship celebration instead, trying to make the night special for him.

He didn't just go rogue in the presser, it sure appears he was only going along with it to that point because he knew he was done.

And how did the kids find out? From Boeheim dropping the bombshell on them himself after the game. Like, he gives that presser, walks into the locker room and says, "I'm retiring, Autry is coach," and that's that?

What lie can the university tell at this point? And lying invites him to refute the lie. If they say he retired, which they could do given his reference to a retirement speech, he can then give an interview somewhere and say, "Actually, I didn't retire. I gave a retirement speech after being forced into retirement, which is an awful lot like being fired." Now you've REALLY got a problem.

What they did was pretty good crisis PR. Put out a factual statement as quickly as possible, control the narrative as much as possible, and move forward as strongly as possible.

I doubt we'll make the NIT but if by some miracle they invited us I think it would be a huge mistake not to accept it. Basically, you give Red some totally stress-free coaching experience with no consequences. Almost like some exhibitions.
Makes sense. Wasn't sure about his staff and the players was all. 2 already in the portal. Not sure who he might guiding to find new opportunities as he looks to potentially remake the squad.

I doubt we'll make the NIT but if by some miracle they invited us I think it would be a huge mistake not to accept it. Basically, you give Red some totally stress-free coaching experience with no consequences. Almost like some exhibitions.

Doubtful... But I could see the CBI tossing us an invite.

Daytona Beach... Big retired orange fan pop in FL... People excited to see the new coach... yada yada...

..or maybe not... they seem to get mid-majors only (guessing most P5 teams turn them down?)

Last P5 team that bit was Huggie Bear and WV in 2019.

Have a read on this:

See if it changes your take?
Yes and no. As others have mentioned in some other threads, this was NOT the time or the place. It shouldn't have been decided by ANYONE at ANY level to do this after a 1st round ACC tourney loss. They should have found a way to delay, or do it prior. So many coaches retire and finish the season. Big Farewell tour? No but how about a WF sellout for his most devoted followers. Advance notification for the kids. So everyone in the department knew he was retiring except the players? It's not the complete f-up I originally thought but I think they could have done better from the very start.

And you gotta stop with the "stuffed shirt" nonsense. JW is highly respected on campus and in the sports industry. He's been trying to manage a very difficult situation for a long time. JB did him no favors.
Maybe true. I do not know enough about him.

If all this other side of it is true, I just do not get why JB would choose to exit this way. It does not make much sense.

Hopefully he walks things back and goes all in for Autry.

I think it's important to understand from the way this all played out that he didn't play ball from the start. Playing ball would have been a proper send off at the last home game, with a packed house bidding him farewell, video montage, speech on the court, etc. He wouldn't do it so they did the National Championship celebration instead, trying to make the night special for him.

He didn't just go rogue in the presser, it sure appears he was only going along with it to that point because he knew he was done.

And how did the kids find out? From Boeheim dropping the bombshell on them himself after the game. Like, he gives that presser, walks into the locker room and says, "I'm retiring, Autry is coach," and that's that?

What lie can the university tell at this point? And lying invites him to refute the lie. If they say he retired, which they could do given his reference to a retirement speech, he can then give an interview somewhere and say, "Actually, I didn't retire. I gave a retirement speech after being forced into retirement, which is an awful lot like being fired." Now you've REALLY got a problem.

What they did was pretty good crisis PR. Put out a factual statement as quickly as possible, control the narrative as much as possible, and move forward as strongly as possible.
In my years, I've learned one thing. Perception becomes reality. I mentioned my casual basketball fan status for a reason. I'm seeing this the way all the people not on this board are seeing it. The TV personalities, the recruits, the other casual fans, maybe even the players families? Nobody has access to all this inside info. It LOOKS bad from the outside. Like we just kicked a hall of famer to the curb with a 'Meh, times change' attitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom