OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

OC/QB coach Sterlin Gilbert out.

It's his final year - "Or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being resigned"

Read that again. He’s already signed.

It's his final year - "Or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being reassigned"
The first question for Wildhack tomorrow how many years remain on Babers contract.

If he has 2 more no need to even give him a fake extension unless he only has 1 more year.

Scott Frost lowered his buyout to remain Nebraska HC. He didn’t need to do that. That money was guaranteed to him but he wanted to remain HC and he reduced his buyout.

I highly doubt Dino would do that.

Here’s the question. What’s the budget for an OC?
If the plan is to promote him to HC, probably somewhere in the range of $1.2M - $1.4M. I would think you'd have a fairly deep pool.

It does because it means you know a firing is coming

Dino knows that he’s going to be dismissed. The whole world knows he’s likely going to be fired after next season.

If you don’t think the rest of the world sees Dino as a lame duck coach….take the orange colored glasses off for about two minutes.

It’s not pretty. It’s absolutely astonishing he wasn’t fired this season. If he is at almost any other p-5 school he is absolutely let go after this season

Reminder Dino is 15-35 in ACC games at Syracuse…… it would take at least 2 seasons of undefeated ACC play to get him to .500

That’s just what you think will happen. You can be upset that he was retained but unless JW told you next year is definitely his last year, he’s not a lame duck coach.

I would hope so…but not sure. You could double Sean Lewis’ current salary. Just sayin…
I could see Sean Lewis going to Blacksburg as the head coach.

How? It’s simple. All current language is kept. Extend two years at a modest increase with 0 buyout. If he succeeds the next two years you reset the buyout for the final 2 years at that point. He can tell recruits he is under contract for the next 4 years. Nobody risks anything or loses anything they currently have.

Because he already has more then 1 year left on his contract. If next year was his final year then yes a small extension makes sense. In this case an extension is useless because every coach knows Dinos a dead man walking without 6 wins next year, a 2 year extension doesn't help him one bit.

There's a better chance of it being 85 degrees tomorrow in Syracuse then Bees admitting Babers is a lame duck coach next year. He'll fight it till the firing.

So you know for sure today Babers will be fired next year?

The first question for Wildhack tomorrow how many years remain on Babers contract.

If he has 2 more no need to even give him a fake extension unless he only has 1 more year.

Scott Frost lowered his buyout to remain Nebraska HC. He didn’t need to do that. That money was guaranteed to him but he wanted to remain HC and he reduced his buyout.

I highly doubt Dino would do that.

It runs through 2024

If the plan is to promote him to HC, probably somewhere in the range of $1.2M - $1.4M. I would think you'd have a fairly deep pool.
Would like Lewis to be AHC, OC he already had coached QB, and move him up as Head Coach. Already has proved he can take a nothing program and build a winner, get rid of Lynch, and let him bring a couple of his guys with him.

Do we know or remember what we pay our current OC and DC?

That’s just what you think will happen. You can be upset that he was retained but unless JW told you next year is definitely his last year, he’s not a lame duck coach.

You’re confident we will get 6 wins next season?

You can’t keep a coach with 6 out of 7 losing seasons. You would lose 50%+ of your season ticket holders and never get them back.

You’re going to lose a solid chunk of them after this season anyway

Browning is now an assistant coach at Baker College.

Today I learned that there is a college called Baker College and that it has a football team.
Baker College in Michigan? I turned down a job there once in the admissions office.

You can’t keep a coach with 6 out of 7 losing seasons. You would lose 50%+ of your season ticket holders and never get them back.

You’re taking this sideways. I didn’t say he would or wouldn’t win 6 games or 1 game or 12 games. I was only giving the definition of a lame duck coach. He’s not a lame duck coach.

Hes not winning 6 games, we can play this game all day but you know deep down how it's going to play out. Be thrilled your guy gets next year, 95% of the other P5 D1 programs would have canned him.
Next year's schedule has ND Purdue and Clemson wake and Pitt on the road.

The Oxford Dictionary of the English language disagees.

lame duck
/ˈˌlām ˈdək/

noun

1. NORTH AMERICAN
    an official (especially the president) in the final period of office, after the election of a successor.
    • an ineffectual or unsuccessful person or thing.
I haven’t read this entire thread yet, but I get the gist of some of the back and forth here. FWIW, my 2 cents is that there is no way SU brings HCDB back next year, and allows him to make staff changes, unless they believe there is at least a chance he can right the ship.

So discussions about “lame duck” are moot. You guys are at a semantic standstill. We just don’t know what will happen next year, or in the years following.

I, for one, sincerely hope DB can get this turned around.

giphy.gif

What additional evidence is needed to make the determination that Babers is not turning this program around at this level. Firing another round of assistants is not going to do it. Given his background and perceived strength you would think the offense would have been a strength after 6 years. This coach cannot seem to recruit ACC level WR’s in a dome environment. The average division 1 coaching tenure is less than 4 years. How in the world has Babers earned a 7th year besides still being under contract. Incredible lack of commitment to the Football program by the SU Administration.

My goodness, arguing the definition of “lame duck coach” is so pedantic and pointless. What matters is that it will likely be difficult for Dino to attract top flight assistants given that he’s in a very precarious spot. Maybe we can throw a ton of money at people to make it worth the risk. Guess we’ll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom