Odds on LeVar | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Odds on LeVar

I watched RAW last night as I always do on Monday and he was very entertaining. For those of you who said his kids are embarrassed by him, I saw smiles and laughs coming from LaMelo and Lonzo. They didn't look like children who are ashamed of their father.

I always laugh when the "no criminal charges" thing comes up. An old Chris Rock bit always comes to mind: "What you want, a cookie? You're not supposed to go jail you low expectation having mfer!"

No question the kids have been successful academically and athletically, and Lonzo seems like a good kid(he's the only one I've followed so far). Most things aren't black and white. I'm sure the guy has done a lot of good for his family. I can overlook the clown interviews and declarations as harmless.

As I said before, I do have a problem with the BS he pulled with his sons HS team. That's garbage.

It's not about wanting a cookie. Black fathers are demonized for not raising their children especially those who are athletes. We have one here and while he can be pompous at times, he's done right by his family yet the media talks about how horrible a dad he is and implies other falsehoods because the narrative can't be used on the Ball brothers. I do believe there is a racial aspect to this. Here we have a Black man who is married and fathered children with a White woman and she lets him be him. Some people can't stand to see that. Even before she had the stroke, she played the background.

I watched RAW last night as I always do on Monday and he was very entertaining. For those of you who said his kids are embarrassed by him, I saw smiles and laughs coming from LaMelo and Lonzo. They didn't look like children who are ashamed of their father.

He was entertaining in a train wreck sort of way. His entrance was hilarious, but it was all downhill after that. He looked like a complete fool, like usual. It's going to get old real fast with this guy if he doesn't fade into the background this coming NBA season.

He was entertaining in a train wreck sort of way. His entrance was hilarious, but it was all downhill after that. He looked like a complete fool, like usual. It's going to get old real fast with this guy if he doesn't fade into the background this coming NBA season.

...And that's the point lol

This.
Saw the video and you can clearly see the boys having a great time laughing at their dad's antics.
I just think folks take this guy waaaaay too seriously. Everyone talks about how much they can't stand him, yet he's subject #1 on every sports talk station. He's using the Kahardashian blueprint on how to get famous. And say want you want about the Khardashians, but they've become a familial and financial dynasty, because of a sex tape.
I remember the same hand-wringing, tsk tsk comments about the Khardashians, and I'm certainly not a fan. But apparently enough people are, so much so that they're now multi-millionaires who dominate social media and pop culture.
Lavar Ball is doing the same Don King-like moves, and frankly, I think he's already winning. JMHO

...And that's the point lol

Maybe. Seemed like WWE pulled the plug on the segment early because it was completely off the rails...because Lavar was just yelling random, nonsensical boasts with zero timing or regard for what else was going on or who else was talking. "There's only two people better than me and I'm both of them."...Huh? How many times has he used that one?

Maybe. Seemed like WWE pulled the plug on the segment early because it was completely off the rails...because Lavar was just yelling random, nonsensical boasts with zero timing or regard for what else was going on or who else was talking. "There's only two people better than me and I'm both of them."...Huh? How many times has he used that one?

Plus LaMelo used the n word on a live mic twice. WWE tries very hard to keep it PG these days and I can't imagine Vince was happy at all about that.

Regardless of the content -- the only thing that matters is that they have you talking about him.

I like him. People get way too worked up. He's a good businessman/showman and, it seems, an even better dad.

If his kids were bothered by it, then I'd feel differently, but they all clearly love him and have fun with it so just let the dude live.

I won't speak to the dad or showman stuff, but I question whether he is a good business man . I think by turning down Nike/UA for his own brand, he is costing Lonzo millions.

I like him. People get way too worked up. He's a good businessman/showman and, it seems, an even better dad.

If his kids were bothered by it, then I'd feel differently, but they all clearly love him and have fun with it so just let the dude live.

Is it good business to charge 500 bucks for a pair of shoes?

I won't speak to the dad or showman stuff, but I question whether he is a good business man . I think by turning down Nike/UA for his own brand, he is costing Lonzo millions.

Yup. Sneaker companies love to push guards too. Look at all the guards that have signature shoes right now: Kyrie, Curry, Rose, Lillard, Harden...only thing is they all had to earn it. They didn't get it as a rookie, they got it a few years into their careers when they were proven as players. If Lavar played ball(sorry) with the companies, Lonzo would've been in a great spot. Point Guard for the soon to be resurgent Lakers? As long as he's good on the court, he'd be all set.

Yup. Sneaker companies love to push guards too. Look at all the guards that have signature shoes right now: Kyrie, Curry, Rose, Lillard, Harden...only thing is they all had to earn it. They didn't get it as a rookie, they got it a few years into their careers when they were proven as players. If Lavar played ball(sorry) with the companies, Lonzo would've been in a great spot. Point Guard for the soon to be resurgent Lakers? As long as he's good on the court, he'd be all set.
True, but Lonzo isn't a hype machine without LaVar.

We'll see how this plays out with the sneaker deal but LaVar took Lonzo from good basketball player to celebrity status.

I cannot get enough of his sons' smiles, particularly Lonzo's, when their old man puts on his act. They get it, they don't seem embarrassed by it, Lonzo impresses me as an extremely mature young man, on and off the court.

And how much more pressure on him can there be on him than Magic Johnson telling Lonzo at his introductory press conference that he wants to see Lonzo's jersey hanging in the rafters someday along with all the Lakers greats throughout history.

Nobody -- and that probably includes LeBron and his camp -- know what LBJ's gonna do as a free agent next summer, a lot depends on how the Cavs' season goes. But, man, my ticker starts beatin' a little faster thinking of LeBron and Lonzo -- the old head and the youngblood -- starring in Showtime Redux.

I just can't imagine him selling that many shoes, even if Lonzo has an amazing year. I've said this before, but the highest priced signature sneakers: Lebrons and Kobe's, are always available at discounts within a few months, and then at even bigger discounts at the Nike outlets a few months after that. And we're talking $175-$200 retail, not $500. And we're talking legendary players and a typically high quality product with a reputable brand name. And even they seem to be coming up short, sales wise. People aren't shelling out that much for bball shoes these days. I see the lesser priced models - Kyrie's, Paul George's, Curry's, and Lebrons takedown model Soldiers all over the courts...shoes that are closer to $100.

These Lonzo sneakers have none of that going for it. Maybe a few rich celebrities trying to be supportive will buy them. Can't imagine too many normal people doing so.

I was at the Dodgers game on Friday night, where Lonzo threw out the first pitch. The Ball posse runs at least 25+ deep. My first thought was if his career doesnt take off quickly, he's going to be broke very quickly.

After the posse being on the field, the rest of them were whisked away somewhere and Lonzo and his two brothers (no Lavar) sat first row right near the Dodgers dugout. Pretty much every Dodger player when they went onto the on deck circle said something to them/congratulated them.

It's not about wanting a cookie. Black fathers are demonized for not raising their children especially those who are athletes. We have one here and while he can be pompous at times, he's done right by his family yet the media talks about how horrible a dad he is and implies other falsehoods because the narrative can't be used on the Ball brothers. I do believe there is a racial aspect to this. Here we have a Black man who is married and fathered children with a White woman and she lets him be him. Some people can't stand to see that. Even before she had the stroke, she played the background.
I just don't like obnoxious people. I don't care if they're black, white, or purple. As far as the media is concerned, they see a story people will click on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom