Official Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity Thread. | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Official Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity Thread.

Conference tourney played in Florida in front of dozens, dwindling home fan support, big rivalry with UCF, and school surrounded by cornfields and cow pastures... who could turn that down?

Let's see, they play in a crap league with little to no resources and they are facing sanctions. Just what a up and coming young coach would be looking for. Oh, and they just had back to back losing seasons, just lost their best recruit and they fired a coach they had just given a extension to who was one of their own. Now they are trying to keep the money they promised that alum by publicly smearing his name. Class organization

giphy.gif

Nice additions. I feel bad about missing those.
tip of the iceberg...

by publicly smearing his name in a hypocritical and transparent clown show.

honestly, they should go hard after Tubby. prob the best they could do by a long shot.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to watch over the next couple of years but I wonder if we aren’t seeing a change in the way schools deal with coaches. The actions by UConn, Pitt, Florida and some others in football to fire for cause could be a movement away from huge contracts with long term guarantees. I am guessing that we will start seeing more deals that allow schools to fire failed coaches with far less in the Way of buyouts. We saw a trend maybe 15 years ago of requiring coaches to buy out contracts if they planned to leave to take another job. This might be the start of another change.

Then they go on to talk about At Will contracts. For a non Power Five Program. Facing sanctions.

Like what the hell? How situationally unaware can you be?

I disagree. They are definitely not the program they once were but there really is no reason to think that they can't be relevant again. They've got a better infrastructure than they did before they started winning chamionships and they are a nationally known brand.

I also think that sanctions would not necessarily prevent a coach from taking the job. If nothing else, it allows said coach to effectively play with house money for a year or two. No expectations and time to get his system in place.

If a guy like Hurley or Crean came in - guys that have won before and can recruit, UConn could be back on the upswing in 2-3 years.

Their bigger issue is that conference. Yes, it's getting better - Cincinnati, Wichita State, Houston and SMU have all had national success but the Huskies thrived when they were cruising up and down the east coast establishing rivalries with 'local' schools - Syracuse, BC, Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's. Nobody knows or cares who they play anymore.

The break-up of the Big East has hurt every school's hoops programs except 'Nova. SU's issue has been the loss of scholarships, not the conference change, but at least the Orange have been able to tread water through that.

That's the challenge for the new UConn coach and the reason I think they can get a top name is because those guys like challenges. UConn is a big one but its got a big payoff if that coach is successful.

I disagree. They are definitely not the program they once were but there really is no reason to think that they can't be relevant again. They've got a better infrastructure than they did before they started winning chamionships and they are a nationally known brand.

I also think that sanctions would not necessarily prevent a coach from taking the job. If nothing else, it allows said coach to effectively play with house money for a year or two. No expectations and time to get his system in place.

If a guy like Hurley or Crean came in - guys that have won before and can recruit, UConn could be back on the upswing in 2-3 years.

Their bigger issue is that conference. Yes, it's getting better - Cincinnati, Wichita State, Houston and SMU have all had national success but the Huskies thrived when they were cruising up and down the east coast establishing rivalries with 'local' schools - Syracuse, BC, Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's. Nobody knows or cares who they play anymore.

The break-up of the Big East has hurt every school's hoops programs except 'Nova. SU's issue has been the loss of scholarships, not the conference change, but at least the Orange have been able to tread water through that.

That's the challenge for the new UConn coach and the reason I think they can get a top name is because those guys like challenges. UConn is a big one but its got a big payoff if that coach is successful.
I disagree that their infrastructure is better than when they won titles. They were in the Big East at that time. With quality tv exposure. And $$$ They don't have any of the three now.

They can definitely be relevant if Cinci and Houston can.

But not to sound like a broken record but this Kevin Ollie "just cause" saga is not good for the University. They're firing him because he had back to back losing seasons. The investigation has nothing to do with it.

They're telling all prospective coaches that if they don't meet the AD and fans expectations, Uconn will do whatever it takes to get out of their contract.

Would would someone like Dan Hurley, who will have plenty of Power Five opportunities open to him this Spring, take that risk?

I still say they should hold their nose and take a good long look at Pitino. Ethically challenged, yes- but a proven winner and builder of programs who’ll have a monumental chip on his shoulder.
The usual suspects will cluck like chickens at the hiring, but a few AAC championships later and all will be forgiven. It’s the smart, albeit cynical move!

I still say they should hold their nose and take a good long look at Pitino. Ethically challenged, yes- but a proven winner and builder of programs who’ll have a monumental chip on his shoulder.
The usual suspects will cluck like chickens at the hiring, but a few AAC championships later and all will be forgiven. It’s the smart, albeit cynical move!
Won't be possible. When the smoke clears, Pitino will be on the NCAA list of guys that can't be hired.

Oh God it would be so awesome for UConn to go through the charade of firing KO for cause over NCAA violoations....and then hire Pitino.

Oh God it would be so awesome for UConn to go through the charade of firing KO for cause over NCAA violoations...and then hire Pitino.

Exactly. you can't fire Ollie for cause and turn around and hire Pitino who just got fired for cause.
"Coach Pitino maintains his innocence."

Stick a form in 'em. Their fans know it. When the inevitable sanctions come down on them, it will be official. They can live in the past forever -- they have that.

Oh God it would be so awesome for UConn to go through the charade of firing KO for cause over NCAA violoations...and then hire Pitino.

Great point. It would be classic!

Exactly. you can't fire Ollie for cause and turn around and hire Pitino who just got fired for cause.

Says who? I don't know, Dash- if Slick Rick gets "cleared", you put him in place, take the heat, and you know eventually the wins will come.
The fact that Pearl, Petrino, and Sampson can hold jobs and be successful, tells you that, (a) They're good HC's and worth hiring, (b) Its all about wins, and (c) People have conveniently short memories.

Says who? I don't know, Dash- if Slick Rick gets "cleared", you put him in place, take the heat, and you know eventually the wins will come.
The fact that Pearl, Petrino, and Sampson can hold jobs and be successful, tells you that, (a) They're good HC's and worth hiring, (b) Its all about wins, and (c) People have conveniently short memories.
But with Petrino, it was his off-the-field hijinx that got him the bad rep. AFIK, he hasn't been accused of any recruiting violations, etc., yet.

We haven't got in to whether they could afford slick rick

They can definitely be relevant if Cinci and Houston can.
cinci and houston are in public university systems that are well managed and financially sound. uconn is not.

just compare uconn to houston, which has a student body ~60% larger on a budget ~65% smaller

they can grow their athletic programs with less reliance on conference payouts. mismanaged uconn cannot, especially when they have to finance a big buyout on top. which is why they are trying to renege. but now, every potential candidate knows that uconn is offering monopoly money on the back end.

cinci and houston are in public university systems that are well managed and financially sound. uconn is not.

just compare uconn to houston, which has a student body ~60% larger on a budget ~65% smaller

they can grow their athletic programs with less reliance on conference payouts. mismanaged uconn cannot, especially when they have to finance a big buyout on top. which is why they are trying to renege. but now, every potential candidate knows that uconn is offering monopoly money on the back end.

Agreed. Also, I wouldn't say Houston and Cinci are going to be mistaken for a 4X NCAA champion any time soon, but this is who Uconn now strives to be -- largely irrelevant for most years on the national scale. Yet another major difference is both Houston and Cinci have somewhat relevant football programs. Uconn's FBall program is a joke. That is the driver of the bus. The only feasible option for them would be to put football aside and move back to the Big East, and pray they can have some kind of Villanova revival. With all that's going down in Storrs, it looks bleaker by the day for them.

BTW, many of the boners were taking great pride in Cuse missing the tourney again, to try and equate their dire situation to ours. Ooops.

This would be something I would be perfectly fine with being wrong about.