Official Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity Thread. | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Official Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity Thread.

They can definitely be relevant if Cinci and Houston can.

But not to sound like a broken record but this Kevin Ollie "just cause" saga is not good for the University. They're firing him because he had back to back losing seasons. The investigation has nothing to do with it.

They're telling all prospective coaches that if they don't meet the AD and fans expectations, Uconn will do whatever it takes to get out of their contract.

Would would someone like Dan Hurley, who will have plenty of Power Five opportunities open to him this Spring, take that risk?
Cincy seems to have an exceptionally well-ran athletic department

The only feasible option for them would be to put football aside and move back to the Big East, and pray they can have some kind of Villanova revival. With all that's going down in Storrs, it looks bleaker by the day for them.

They can’t drop football. They went all in and need the money that a D1 football conference can give them, even if it’s not a P5. Maybe they can do what Notre Dame did. Keep football where it is and move all other sports to the Big East. I wonder if the AAC would let them do that?

They can’t drop football. They went all in and need the money that a D1 football conference can give them, even if it’s not a P5. Maybe they can do what Notre Dame did. Keep football where it is and move all other sports to the Big East. I wonder if the AAC would let them do that?
The bigger question is "Would the Big East let them do that?" How does the BE benefit by taking in UConn?

The bigger question is "Would the Big East let them do that?" How does the BE benefit by taking in UConn?

That's the issue. The smartest thing the new Big East did was not take anyone playing D-1 football. There was no need for that league to take schools that would be looking for an exit ramp the very same day they joined the conference.

Yeah -- didn't mean drop altogether. Meant back to IAA or indy. Their football program is so bad I doubt the AAC would agree to keep them there without basketball if there is a BE move in their future.

There's no way Jose that the AAC would be cool w/ being the trashcan that holds the pile of garbage that is UConn football.

Yeah -- didn't mean drop altogether. Meant back to IAA or indy. Their football program is so bad I doubt the AAC would agree to keep them there without basketball if there is a BE move in their future.
If the Big East will accept them they need to drop football to 1AA. But does the Big East even want or need them at this point? I haven't heard of any attendance issues at MSG for the BET. They're not having a problem of putting teams in the NCAAT. 6 bids this season. 7 last season. 5 in 2016. 6 in 2015. 4 in 2014.

Best thing I ever saw at Rentschler field... True story.

This was maybe 2009?

Went to this road game to watch the cuse vs. the cons... Ended up parking and tailgating in that old aviation runway they have as a parking lot in the complex... Bunch of cuse tailgators around us but one group of uconn male students or postgrads next to us. They brought a canopy popup and it was clear when they unpacked it, no one had a clue how to set it up. They eventually figured out that they needed one guy on each corner to pull out from the center on the corner poles (after we barked some suggestions to them.) Their ring leader barked back "STF U... we don't need any help from cuse hillbillies..." It peaked more interest from other cuse tailgates nearby and there was a small circle of cuse fans circled wide watching these idiots struggle with their canopy. They, obviously took my advice after defending their pride, only they had the canopy top expanding crossbars out of whack and they wouldn't expand and started to bend as they pulled harder on it... I yelled again "that's not right, you're gonna brake it..." Another "STF U, we know what we're doing..." Barked back. Then two of the crossbar popped and snapped and their ringleader goes into expletive-tirade... At the end, he looks at his buds and says "what should we do?" They stared on dumbfounded holding on the corners of the brand new canopy the broke... Not a word. Then a yell comes from a cuse guy tailgating across from them (we were all watching this sh!tshow smirking..) "Pick that thing up , walk it over there and throw it in the field!"

They immediately did exactly that and got a massive round of applause with laughs from all the tailgaters around them.

Idiots.

Made the whole trip worth it! :rolling:

Last edited:
It doesn't.

Thamel is a Syracuse grad and it was a complete hit piece.

Read the rest... punctuated by this last paragraph.

"Have the changing dynamics impacted UConn’s ability to lure a top coach?

One thing Pitt doesn’t have is the specter of Calhoun, the Hall of Fame coach in both basketball acumen and cantankerousness who ended up clashing with Ollie. (The firing of former assistant Glen Miller was a big issue.) Politics is a much bigger part of the UConn job, and ring kissing isn’t exactly a defining Hurley family trait. (Calhoun was also caught cheating, and it’s always hard to follow a cheater and win at that level without, well, actually cheating. Ollie also leaves the program under NCAA investigation, continuing the tradition.)"

Thamel's such a bitter turd. Should turn his eagle eye on his own toxic waste dump of a program.

I seem to recall not a lot of love for Pete Thamel around these parts.

I wonder how many nights were ruined last night in Connecticut.

Eh, who am I kidding? UConn fans are far too busy concentrating on their upcoming big women's tourney games to worry about Syracuse.

As an aside, are the men playing in *any* post season tourney?

If the Big East will accept them they need to drop football to 1AA. But does the Big East even want or need them at this point? I haven't heard of any attendance issues at MSG for the BET. They're not having a problem of putting teams in the NCAAT. 6 bids this season. 7 last season. 5 in 2016. 6 in 2015. 4 in 2014.

I'd still think the BE would take them back in a heartbeat. Honestly they are a good fit for the BE IMO, assuming they are unscathed from this investigation. They will have to make some tough decisions with their football program.

The Syracuse MO is as follows:

1. Plod through a mediocre regular season in which conference foes, who are used to their style of play, have them figured out
2. Receive an undeserved Tournament bid out of P5 favoritism and reputation
3. Face out-of-conference opponents who are unused to the gimmick defense and win a series of ugly games and develop a reputation for overachieving

#3 has only started to occur in recent years as the game has shifted to having a lot less experienced players and sub-par coaching.

Hmm, if number 3 has “just started to occur”, then so have #1 and 2 because we were like a 3 seed or better for 5-6 years in a row.

We would be posting the same thing if they won a game like we did today. Actually... we did, when they BS'd their way to two national championships against Butler (LOL worst game in twenty years) and 8th seed Kentucky.

That said... you have to actually make the tournament, which they have not.

We would be posting the same thing if they won a game like we did today. Actually... we did, when they BS'd their way to two national championships against Butler (LOL worst game in twenty years) and 8th seed Kentucky.

That said... you have to actually make the tournament, which they have not.

I’ll have to take your word for it because it feels like eternity since they were in the tourney.