officially the sky is falling | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

officially the sky is falling

Why? Let me tell you something. For the real fans its about SU. Not JB, Dino, Ben, P or any other coach. Its about the University. JB didnt make SU Basketball. Danforth was a great coach and Jim was lucky to get the job. He did ok and caught the Big East wave. The Dome which of course he was against was along with cable a major reason for our success. For many many years JB was criticized for underachieving. He has survived 2 NCAA sanctions. He is a good coach who for the majority of his career has had exceptional talent.
Today he doesn't have the same level of talent and we are getting blown out by marginal teams. So stuff the Baloney. The program is in a nose dive.

Seriously man - I’ve read your drivel for 15 years and never once have you even been close to accurate. From supposed “inside info” to “H0T Takes”...my request would be to step away from the keyboard and actually think things trough once in a while.

Seriously man - I’ve read your drivel for 15 years and never once have you even been close to accurate. From supposed “inside info” to “H0T Takes”...my request would be to step away from the keyboard and actually think things trough once in a while.
Thanks for the advice.

Are there really people who think we’re not capable of making the NCAA tournament? We’re super young but have more shooting than probably any other team we will play and can only get better as the season goes on. Our conference schedule is extremely favorable and there is absolutely a path to the tournament.

Enjoy the ride everybody from JG3, Eli, to Doley are awesome dudes to root for and I think it’s foolish to give up on this team right now. Go damn orange baby I can’t wait for Wednesday night.

This one was coming we’ve looked like trash vs them since leaving the Big East.

I still think we somehow slug out 10 or 11 ACC wins and the year isn’t that bad with everyone back next.

We don’t have the horses to be a top 10 team just forget about it until we get a new coach. We also might screw that up and have to wait for the guy that follows the guy. A few years of mediocrity and maybe a run or two in March is reality.

Why? Let me tell you something. For the real fans its about SU. Not JB, Dino, Ben, P or any other coach. Its about the University. JB didnt make SU Basketball. Danforth was a great coach and Jim was lucky to get the job. He did ok and caught the Big East wave. The Dome which of course he was against was along with cable a major reason for our success. For many many years JB was criticized for underachieving. He has survived 2 NCAA sanctions. He is a good coach who for the majority of his career has had exceptional talent.
Today he doesn't have the same level of talent and we are getting blown out by marginal teams. So stuff the Baloney. The program is in a nose dive.
This is a really poor post. to try and diminish JB’s accomplishments because you are Frustrated is lazy. One of the greatest coaches in history of college basketball and the best ( by far) at Cuse. Everyone’s upset with the current year but Boeheim’s performance doesnt need any qualifiers. simply one of the best

Cuse

All our four losses are to the teams that should make NCAA tournament. We should be able to beat the bottom half ACC schools Notre Dame (x2), BC (x2), Pitt (x2) and Wake Forest like we beat George Tech.
Not seeing road wins at improved Pitt and scrappy ND. Maybe BC.

I'm glad I was travelling to and from an out of town Christmas party Saturday and didn't look at this board until just now.

Are there really people who think we’re not capable of making the NCAA tournament? We’re super young but have more shooting than probably any other team we will play and can only get better as the season goes on. Our conference schedule is extremely favorable and there is absolutely a path to the tournament.

Enjoy the ride everybody from JG3, Eli, to Doley are awesome dudes to root for and I think it’s foolish to give up on this team right now. Go damn orange baby I can’t wait for Wednesday night.

You know who else has more shooting than anyone they play?

McNeese State!

Just so we are all on the same page, Danforth in his 8 years at syracuse had a 148-71 record. That qualifies as great, I guess. JB in his first 8 years, and that includes 5 years in the big East, was 182-62. Roy followed up his great coaching at Tulane with a 45-90 record. 13-39 in conference record. I can't imagine why no one hired him after that.
You just helped your adversary's position. Danforth did what he did here WITHOUT the Carrier Dome. Also, what he did at Tulane has absolutely nothing to do with this argument. Syracuse had a good reputation because of the football program and basketball wasn't too shabby either. It wasn't a bad idea to play basketball at Syracuse University. The record that you point out JB had here was not a marked improvement from Danfoth's. Throw in the Carrier Dome for JB (and not Danforth) and the rest is history for JB. Now that he can't recruit and the zone gets exposed on a daily basis, where are we, and where is he?

I think that pointing out that you graduated from Syracuse is sophomoric and unnecessary. I've lived here my whole life and love this town and SU sports. My wife also works in a management position at SU. There is no need to throw any of that in anyone's face as some sort of badge of honor. The "I'm a bigger fan than you" stuff is ridiculous.

You just helped your adversary's position. Danforth did what he did here WITHOUT the Carrier Dome. Also, what he did at Tulane has absolutely nothing to do with this argument. Syracuse had a good reputation because of the football program and basketball wasn't too shabby either. It wasn't a bad idea to play basketball at Syracuse University. The record that you point out JB had here was not a marked improvement from Danfoth's. Throw in the Carrier Dome for JB (and not Danforth) and the rest is history for JB. Now that he can't recruit and the zone gets exposed on a daily basis, where are we, and where is he?

I think that pointing out that you graduated from Syracuse is sophomoric and unnecessary. I've lived here my whole life and love this town and SU sports. My wife also works in a management position at SU. There is no need to throw any of that in anyone's face as some sort of badge of honor. The "I'm a bigger fan than you" stuff is ridiculous.
Part of JB's numbers were Big East years. Something Danforth didn't have to deal with. If we look at JB's first three years, when he was dealing with the same schedule that Danforth was dealing with, JB's record was 74-14 To make the argument that Danforth was as successful as jb is just silly. He wasn't. And I'm glad you are a Syracuse fan. You leave out that he was questioning whether I was a real fan because he thought I had a different position than him. I didn't. You have just made the same mistake.

Part of JB's numbers were Big East years. Something Danforth didn't have to deal with. If we look at JB's first three years, when he was dealing with the same schedule that Danforth was dealing with, JB's record was 74-14 To make the argument that Danforth was as successful as jb is just silly. He wasn't. And I'm glad you are a Syracuse fan. You leave out that he was questioning whether I was a real fan because he thought I had a different position than him. I didn't. You have just made the same mistake.
Boeheim received a massive spike from having the newly minted Carrier Dome. The Pearl ushered in an era of what would have been considered many top 10 recruiting classes. The bottom line here is we can all agree that the college game has passed him by. Strip away all the shiny stuff and he can't win on his own merits. I believe that 17-18 year old kids would rather not play for a 75 year old grumpy dude. I made no mistake, btw.

Boeheim received a massive spike from having the newly minted Carrier Dome. The Pearl ushered in an era of what would have been considered many top 10 recruiting classes. The bottom line here is we can all agree that the college game has passed him by. Strip away all the shiny stuff and he can't win on his own merits. I believe that 17-18 year old kids would rather not play for a 75 year old grumpy dude. I made no mistake, btw.
lol at pretty much everything in this post.

lol at pretty much everything in this post.
The Carrier Dome did nothing for JB and the recruiting classes sucked... I bet that sounds accurate in your alternate reality. You're officially a genius. A one line response with lol in it. You can blow out the candles on your JB shrine in your basement this morning.

Sadly...if this team can go into conference play and just keep games from getting out of hand it will be growth for next year. lose by 2-8 points and pull out a couple wins. Just see some progress.

The sweet 16 was supposed to be growth for next year. I’m not sure “growth” is something our coaching staff does any more.

Roys Runts, Sweet D, Dooms, Rudy, The Lee Brothers, Beating Magic and Michigan State, seeing Dr. J put on a show and watching Calvin Murphy all while the Zoo went wild was the best. Jim took over a great program and made it better but he also greatly benefited from the Dome and ESPN'S deal with the Big East.
JB deserves his HOF status. He also deserves some criticism for how he has managed the program recently. Anyone who has followed the program as long as we have and those of us who have been privileged to see some of the inner workings over the years realize that we have been in a declining state for years. By Syracuse standards recruiting and play is sub par. We are not only losing to teams that we used to handle easily we are getting blown out on a regular basis.
The programs decline isn't because JB cant coach anymore. Its because we have not recovered from the loss of Hop who was almost as important to SU basketball as Jim. No disrespect but you dont replace Hop with Gmac. Going from one of the best assistant coaches, one of the most respected and trusted recruiters to Gmac isn't going to cut it and the results have been poor.
At this point its too late. JB isnt going to change his staff and he isnt going to magically become a great recruiter himself. The best we can expect is a low seed, catch fire and make a run. The days of expecting a top 10 ranking and 5 seed or better are gone.
Last point i turned down SU. Didnt go there. However i have 6 family members including my Father who did so hopefully that counts for something.
Lets all pull for our beloved Orange to finish this year strong and for JB to get one more solid run in the next few years as he deserves it.

The Carrier Dome did nothing for JB and the recruiting classes sucked... I bet that sounds accurate in your alternate reality. You're officially a genius. A one line response with lol in it. You can blow out the candles on your JB shrine in your basement this morning.
lol at everything in this post, too.

It is possible to be critical of the current state JB without downplaying everything he has accomplished in his great career. That makes you sound silly and like you might just possibly have an agenda. Not you of course...

Roys Runts, Sweet D, Dooms, Rudy, The Lee Brothers, Beating Magic and Michigan State, seeing Dr. J put on a show and watching Calvin Murphy all while the Zoo went wild was the best. Jim took over a great program and made it better but he also greatly benefited from the Dome and ESPN'S deal with the Big East.
JB deserves his HOF status
. He also deserves some criticism for how he has managed the program recently. Anyone who has followed the program as long as we have and those of us who have been privileged to see some of the inner workings over the years realize that we have been in a declining state for years. By Syracuse standards recruiting and play is sub par. We are not only losing to teams that we used to handle easily we are getting blown out on a regular basis.
The programs decline isn't because JB cant coach anymore. Its because we have not recovered from the loss of Hop who was almost as important to SU basketball as Jim. No disrespect but you dont replace Hop with Gmac. Going from one of the best assistant coaches, one of the most respected and trusted recruiters to Gmac isn't going to cut it and the results have been poor.
At this point its too late. JB isnt going to change his staff and he isnt going to magically become a great recruiter himself. The best we can expect is a low seed, catch fire and make a run. The days of expecting a top 10 ranking and 5 seed or better are gone.
Last point i turned down SU. Didnt go there. However i have 6 family members including my Father who did so hopefully that counts for something.
Lets all pull for our beloved Orange to finish this year strong and for JB to get one more solid run in the next few years as he deserves it.

Indeed. JB is a legend and no doubt deserves his props, etc. However, no doubt that the Carrier Dome, and even more impactful, the advent of ESPN and all that that implied (Big East conference, etc.) launched SU/JB into the stratosphere. As the adage goes...'timing in life is everything.'

JB is great. Multiple final four runs and a NC. But the last time they won was in 2003. That’s a heck of a long time ago. I think he is a good coach and his contributions to Syracuse the city and the school are amazing. However, I think in order to compete with the big boys and have Syracuse routinely a national power that they deserve. Admin may need to step in if things continue on this path. Syracuse should not be a bubble school.

i dont know where to put this post because none of the threads seem to fit...

I watched the game ..first one of the season yesterday ..hoya suxa

anyway...

the thing is is...

in basketball a team can do a lot of different things to win...its a combination of factors that decide the outcome...sometimes you hit 20 3s and get just enough stops and steals...or you outrebound an opponent by 30 and they have no chance etc...it matters what both teams do...

there is not one stat that always wins or loses...or even a certain combo of stats that does, either...b/c both teams are impacting the game...

ANYWAY...

ummm...the thing about this team and the past few seasons too, mostly...

is that the team doesn´t do enough things to win. I know it sounds obvious but...

it cant do almost any of the things it needs to do to put together a combination of things it needs to do to win.

like it cant stop anyone inside. it cant score inside...it cant really rebound very well. it cannot stop dribble penetration. etc...opposing gaurds just eat this team for lunch.

i dont know...I just dont see what the formula is for this squad?

im thinking ...but i dont.

i think maybe in 1 or 2 seasons...it will click. or maybe sooner idk...

what is the formula?

all im seeing now is hitting 3...everything else is below par or hugely below par and the 3s are nice but not enough to be the only positive.

i dont know where to put this post because none of the threads seem to fit...

I watched the game ..first one of the season yesterday ..hoya suxa

anyway...

the thing is is...

in basketball a team can do a lot of different things to win...its a combination of factors that decide the outcome...sometimes you hit 20 3s and get just enough stops and steals...or you outrebound an opponent by 30 and they have no chance etc...it matters what both teams do...

there is not one stat that always wins or loses...or even a certain combo of stats that does, either...b/c both teams are impacting the game...

ANYWAY...

ummm...the thing about this team and the past few seasons too, mostly...

is that the team doesn´t do enough things to win. I know it sounds obvious but...

it cant do almost any of the things it needs to do to put together a combination of things it needs to do to win.

like it cant stop anyone inside. it cant score inside...it cant really rebound very well. it cannot stop dribble penetration. etc...opposing gaurds just eat this team for lunch.

i dont know...I just dont see what the formula is for this squad?

im thinking ...but i dont.

i think maybe in 1 or 2 seasons...it will click. or maybe sooner idk...

what is the formula?

all im seeing now is hitting 3...everything else is below par or hugely below par and the 3s are nice but not enough to be the only positive.
Furthermore,
the point of a "system" for a bb ball team is to try to maximize the aspects of the game and capitalize on what you can gain an advantage on vs other teams...

for example, a zone makes the other team shoot long shots etc...

but in the case of this SU i´m not seeing that the system as it is currently in place is giving the team any adv advantage. I find it hard to argue that the "net impact" of the "system" this team is running is giving it any type of edge at all. in any way.

for instance, you play the zone but the inside is being decimated by opponents with any size. opposing gaurds are also doing work. AND rebounding is a huge problem.

On offense it is slightly better but still very limited and not dynamic. I mean getting 34 vs UVA is epic failure.
not trying to just bash...

what im saying is ----is that the system of the team needs to actually enhance winning chances...not just be the formula for the sake of having a formula.
and maybe - probably- there is no formula with this roster.-...that would do any better...
but in my opinion...once it is clear that this formula is not working...

TRY other things...

UNLESS...and this is what I think is in the coaches mind...

you are secretly on a 2-3 year plan andall you care about is maybe winning a title with your son and thats the onyl reason you are even still coaching and IF that is true...then this season is not the important consideration ...it is how to get to the right point in 2 years. THEN in that case it seems more appealing to just stick to this system that will not work with these players (though i still would argue that even then it is not a good idea)

For now, though, if the system cannot be changed/adjusted/abandoned...then at least try to find 1 or 2 more aspects of the game where the team can gain an advantage and pound away at those aspects of the game. not sure what they are though.

maybe it is rebounding? maybe it is offensive sets? maybe it is not giving up turnovers and forcing them on opponents? IDK...a lot of the players are limited so it makes it hard to do too much as far as adjustments...but thats what im seeing...cuz the ol fashioned just fine tune the system apporach seems to be a longshot at this point...at least for this season´s final outcome

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom