Offseason Player Profile: Rakeem Christmas | Syracusefan.com

Offseason Player Profile: Rakeem Christmas

gmacfor3

Walk On
I'm stealing an idea from Mike Waters, as he did his offseason player profiles soon after the season ended. However, being this is a forum, we can be more critical/honest in our player assessments without fear of being called out by JB in a post game presser:) Over the next few weeks, I'll profile one player at a time. These are my opinions/predictions so obviously I'd like to hear what you all think as well.

Rakeem Christmas:

Positives: Rakeem put up very solid numbers (10 pts. 9.3 reb., 36.3 mpg) during a three game stretch in which he was the lone center with Keita injured. Small sample size, I know, but one that could be encouraging. The telling thing for me about this is that when Christmas needed to play smart on defense and not commit silly fouls that would leave the team without a center, he was able to do that. Not to mention, with the added confidence of not having to about a quick hook, his offensive production increased. From his sophomore year to his junior year, Rak only increased his scoring average by .7 ppg, but did so in .5 fewer shots per game, as he was rarely an option on offense. His fg % increased over 8% and his ft% increased by over 18% from his soph to junior year. As a soph, everytime Rak caught the ball with his back to the basket, he would face up, jab to his right, go to his left, and rarely ended up doing anything positive. This year, he simplified his back to the basket game, relying on a solid looking jump hook that he proved he could finish with either hand.

Negatives: INCONSISTENCY! It seems like just when you think Rak may be starting to figure things out, he reverts back to the same habits that frustrate us fans and more importantly JB. Wayyyyy to many silly fouls. His effort seems to fun hot and cold, especially on the backboards. 5.1 rpg just seem way to few for a player of his athleticism. And when his teammates would finally throw him the ball in the post, many times it would get knocked away because he didn't do a good job sealing off his man. His body language I feel is something he needs to greatly improve, especially as a senior. Too many times he gives off the impression that he is disinterested, although I don't think that is truly the case, but instead a lack of confidence (and possibly his laidback, island upbringing). Regardless, Rak needs to play with more fire and passion, even if he is never a vocal leader...fire and passion can be shared with the eyes more than anything else.

2014-15 outlook/prediction: JB has already said he thinks Rak will be the most improved player in the conference. Could that be him realizing he needs a confident Rak to be successful next year and his trying to feed his ego, or has JB seen enough things from Rak in practices and recent workouts to make him think we'll see a different player next year. Maybe a combination of both, but I still have my trepidations. I definitely think we will see an improved player. The fluidness in which he released his jump hooks was something he hadn't showed previously, and with more touches and more confidence I can see that becoming a real weapon next year. A lot of his confidence will also likely depend on the health of DC and whether or not the quick hook remains (wouldn't it be nice if he could play confident regardless). Looking forward, I just haven't seen enough from him in three years to think he is going to have a Rick Jackson like senior year. With that said, I think it is more than reasonable to predict an average of around 8 ppg and 7 rpg with solid defense protecting the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom