OGBJ20 | Syracusefan.com

OGBJ20

CU44SE

All Conference
Hopefully this isnt too personal and I completely understand if you dont want to share any info, but I was just wondering now that the season is over how BJ enjoyed his first season at Cuse? Obviously he probably would have liked some more PT, but I was just wondering overall how you would assess his first year. Its not very often where we get an inside prospective of the program like this.

Here is a sample of BJ's tweets from the last two days:

BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 Mar 22
Crazy it's all over that fast ...

@BSMIFTH we working out bro?

“@Buss34: Bright future” you already know bro !!!!
(Re-tweet from Ron Patterson)

S/o @Bayekeita @NolanPHAT and @cjfair . Lucky to have y'all my freshman year. Learned hella stuff from y'all. Appreciate it #Family

BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 13m
Offseason. WORK WORK WORK

Seems like a great kid with a great attitude and I can't wait to see him on the court next year!

I would love love love to see BJ become another option as a shooter out there. I think that a lineup with Cooney at the 2 and BJ at the 3 could really open up the offense. Having only seen him play in little portions I don't have a sense of his development but I am hopeful that he'll be an important part of the team next year (and that he knows this).

ROCuse said:
Here is a sample of BJ's tweets from the last two days: BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 Mar 22 Crazy it's all over that fast ... BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 Mar 22 @BSMIFTH we working out bro? BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 Mar 22 “@Buss34: Bright future” you already know bro !!!! (Re-tweet from Ron Patterson) BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 Mar 22 S/o @Bayekeita @NolanPHAT and @cjfair . Lucky to have y'all my freshman year. Learned hella stuff from y'all. Appreciate it #Family BJ Johnson ‏@BJ___2 13m Offseason. WORK WORK WORK Seems like a great kid with a great attitude and I can't wait to see him on the court next year!

Agreed. I think this kid will help shore up our shooting concerns.

add a little bulk and a little confidence (maybe a little handle) and BJ should get a real shot next year. here's hoping!

I really wish we'd found a way to redshirt BJ. This is NOT a knock on his skill level or talent, but rather about his physical maturity at this stage of his developmental curve. BJ is "young" for his class [with a December birthday], and I think it would have maximized his development to have him redshirt for a year to enable his physical maturity to catch up a bit to his skill level.

Make no mistake: this kid is going to be a major force for us the rest of his career. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him play a big role next season, and then to start the following two. He's capable of being a leading scorer, and his athleticism / versatility is tailor made for our system.

Agreed. I think this kid will help shore up our shooting concerns.
I hate looking ahead two years, let alone one, but in 15-16 we will have a phenomenal group of shooters, potentially. Cooney, BJ, Lydon, and Richardson, along with Joseph and Buss being able to knock down perimeter shots...this flaw is going to be addressed very soon.

Hopefully this isnt too personal and I completely understand if you dont want to share any info, but I was just wondering now that the season is over how BJ enjoyed his first season at Cuse? Obviously he probably would have liked some more PT, but I was just wondering overall how you would assess his first year. Its not very often where we get an inside prospective of the program like this.

I would think this post eliminates any possibility of getting what you wanted to come from this. might have come out in more subtle ways...but this could never generate a 'full and honest' response.

He loves SU and is working hard in the classroom 3.2GPA and on the court/weightroom to be ready to go next season. This process started long ago.

I really wish we'd found a way to redshirt BJ. This is NOT a knock on his skill level or talent, but rather about his physical maturity at this stage of his developmental curve. BJ is "young" for his class [with a December birthday], and I think it would have maximized his development to have him redshirt for a year to enable his physical maturity to catch up a bit to his skill level.

Make no mistake: this kid is going to be a major force for us the rest of his career. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him play a big role next season, and then to start the following two. He's capable of being a leading scorer, and his athleticism / versatility is tailor made for our system.

Ya I would have preferred that he redshirt to but I can understand that BJ probably wanted a chance to play and felt he could make an impact. If Grant doesn't declare its going to be hard for him to see a lot of meaningful minutes next year with Grant, Chris M, and Roberson batting for time at the 3/4. Can he play the 2 at all? Him being a redshirt Frosh next year with 4 years of eligibility would have been ideal. Hope this doesnt turn into another Southerland situation where we regret not using that shirt year.

Ya I would have preferred that he redshirt to but I can understand that BJ probably wanted a chance to play and felt he could make an impact. If Grant doesn't declare its going to be hard for him to see a lot of meaningful minutes next year with Grant, Chris M, and Roberson batting for time at the 3/4. Can he play the 2 at all? Him being a redshirt Frosh next year with 4 years of eligibility would have been ideal. Hope this doesnt turn into another Southerland situation where we regret not using that shirt year.
BJ is a 2/3.

OGBJ20 said:
He loves SU and is working hard in the classroom 3.2GPA and on the court/weightroom to be ready to go next season. This process started long ago.
Awesome I have loved that stroke since I first saw it... Hopefully the game slows down for him and he gets his shot !!

Imagine if we had Southerland this year and played him some minutes at the 2 with a lineup of ennis southerland fair grant christmas

Dont like the 2 guard comment, but he could have been our 2nd forward if he redshirted his freshman year like he should have. Could have had Grant come off the bench and G could have strictly played guard. Would have made this team deadly, spreading the floor like Johnson and Rautins in 2010.

Judging by all of Bobby's posts since BJ committed, nobody will work harder than BJ in the offseason. And now that he has seen the speed and physicality of the game at this level, he has a real understanding of what it is going to take to get some PT next year. He is smart enough to know that his outside shot and being solid on defense will get him on the court. I really like both BJ and Buss on this team, I don't think anybody will outwork them. I expect a good couple years coming up, and when they are seniors, I expect them to be great leaders.

Imagine if we had Southerland this year and played him some minutes at the 2 with a lineup of ennis southerland fair grant christmas

One of the staffs biggest mistakes was not redshirting JS that frosh year. If he was on this team there no telling where we could have ended up.

Dont like the 2 guard comment, but he could have been our 2nd forward if he redshirted his freshman year like he should have. Could have had Grant come off the bench and G could have strictly played guard. Would have made this team deadly, spreading the floor like Johnson and Rautins in 2010.

This ^^. Although that '10 team had consistent Center production in Arinze. Still our offense would have been sooooo much more entertaining to watch if we had dirty at our disposal. that begs the question, why doesn't JB utilize 'shirts more often? things that make you go hmmm...

I would love love love to see BJ become another option as a shooter out there. I think that a lineup with Cooney at the 2 and BJ at the 3 could really open up the offense. Having only seen him play in little portions I don't have a sense of his development but I am hopeful that he'll be an important part of the team next year (and that he knows this).
He will if he gets increased time and opportunity... He earns that thru practice and improving in the offseason which I definitely think he will... He could of came in and made shots this year I think if he was given a sincere shot. JB just didn't think he was ready to earn that shot in a crucial game... With opportunity, comes results! More opportunity you get as a basketball player, especially as a shooter, the more results you see from him! Shooting is rhythm and confidence!! 2 things you do not get while sitting the bench!

This ^^. Although that '10 team had consistent Center production in Arinze. Still our offense would have been sooooo much more entertaining to watch if we had dirty at our disposal. that begs the question, why doesn't JB utilize 'shirts more often? things that make you go hmmm...
Takes 2 to tango. Players have to agree.

Takes 2 to tango. Players have to agree.
Not necessarily true. If coach doesn't play a guy, it counts as a redshirt. Maybe you tick some guys off by doing that and they end up transferring, but if they do that, they sit another year anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom