Oh, Kansas | Syracusefan.com

Oh, Kansas

Nicknack

All Conference
Perhaps if they can muster up one more injury before tourney time they can climb back into the one spot.

This article just released on ESPN

What I have a hard time understanding is what is quoted below. By the way, Welmann is the NCAA Committee Chair.

"Do you reward teams for what they have done in the season, or do you project what they are going to do?" Wellman said. "If you are projecting what they are going to do, then that injury of course takes on more importance. If you are rewarding them for what they have done in the season, then you just base your decisions, whether it be selection or seeding, upon what they have shown thus far in the season and their accomplishments this season. I think that is a discussion that we will have in the committee room."

A discussion as how much of a hit the team should take if Embiid is out indefinitely is completely understandable and expected. However, it truly amazes me that after this many NCAA Tourney's the committee doesn't have an agreement as what to do. That is, 1) if a star player is not available for the tourney, their seed should be reflected of 2) the team's seed will not be impacted due to an injury no matter who the player and impact that they had over the course of the season. I never thought there was any question about it and the having the committee chair go on to say that he tends to lean towards the latter is crazy to me.

If the committee has ANY member who thinks that they shouldn't take a team's status in question when a star player is injured during the seeding process, then why in the hell is there constant dialogue about the committee likely taking it easy on teams that lost during the regular season when a star player was out whether that be due to injury or suspension? The two situations are linked and shouldn't have any inconsistency.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous and tend to think the good ole Welmann is just talking out of one side of his mouth and will very likely do the opposite. I think he knows very well that if it continues to look like Embiid is out, then Kansas' seed will suffer somewhat. Then again, this is the NCAA we are talking about.

Last edited:
JB knew the game. That's why he went to great lengths for the bait and switch with AO. They most definitely will consider Embiid's health.

Embiid won't play another game in a Jayhawk uniform. That is my gut feeling. It's too risky. As much as it sucks, he has to look towards the future.

Last edited:
In all honesty, its completely ridiculous that they penalize teams for losing a player before the tourney. In no other sport do they project your seeding, it's based off what you did in the regular season.

Florida could lose Young, Frazier and Wilbekin in the SEC Tournament and they should still be evaluated ONLY on what they did this season.

In all honesty, its completely ridiculous that they penalize teams for losing a player before the tourney. In no other sport do they project your seeding, it's based off what you did in the regular season.

Florida could lose Young, Frazier and Wilbekin in the SEC Tournament and they should still be evaluated ONLY on what they did this season.

Yeah, I get that and can definitely see your point. However, March Madness is completely different than anything else. In most sports, you know where you stand based on your wins. The committee on the other hand plays a big role into whether teams even make the tournament and how difficult their road will be. Based on that fact, they are using "projecting" criteria all along the way which is why they should take into account an injury to a star player right before the tournament starts.

Tony Greene.png

turns out we might have been better off the year we lost AO to not get the one seed.

I completely agree. The players earned their seeding. Penalizing them for bad luck and hurting their chances even further, is bush league IMO.

Remember Cincinnati years ago with Kenyon Martin? Great year and demoted a seed. They certainly look at injuries when determining seeding.

I completely agree. The players earned their seeding. Penalizing them for bad luck and hurting their chances even further, is bush league IMO.

Its not about penalizing a team or rewarding them, it is about evaluating a team, and Embid is a big part of their team.

Embiid won't play another game in a Jayhawk uniform. That is my gut feeling. It's too risky. As much as it sucks, he has to look towards the future.

Interesting, with the grim specter of Greg Oden still looming so large ...

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops 7m
not dropping below a 2 no matter what RT @MattBuek: Wow many games in the Big XII tournament does Kansas need win not to drop?

What a hack Seth Davis is. Kansas isn't a 2 seed if they lose to Oklahoma State and they don't have Embiid for 2 weeks.

How can a team that lost most of their games against decent competition out-of-conference get a two seed? They lost four in conference, so did we. Except we didn't get beat down like a bunch of pansies out-of-conference.

Throw them down to an 8 seed for all I care. W/out Embiid, make 'em a 10. :)

They finished out the Big 12 schedule by playing the bottom four teams 6 out of their final 7 games.

They lost 2.

Duke - Win
Villanova - Lost
Colorado - Lost
Florida - Lost
New Mexico - Win
San Diego State - Lost

Blah. So they proved they could finish third in the Mountain West. Not impressed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom