OiG's 4 burning questions that determine the season (Must read!) | Syracusefan.com

OiG's 4 burning questions that determine the season (Must read!)

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
For the first time in a long time there's a convergence between our enthusiasm as fans for what the upcoming season holds, and the national perception and expectation of what we can accomplish as a program this year. My hope is we're a wire to wire Top 25 team, and conclude the bowl season with 9 or more wins.

My optimism aside, program building and sustaining success are fragile processes. The more I think about the upcoming season, the more the following questions come to mind. The more of these questions that we resolve well, the better the season I believe we can have.

1. How different is the offense without Dungey's rushing yards?

We've only ever seen a Babers offense at Syracuse that included the threat of Eric Dungey's instinctual running, with last season being Dungey's most successful on the ground amassing 750 yards and 15 rushing TDs. Dungey's running ability was a blessing and a curse, because while he did move the ball, it also subject him to a lot of hits. I think we're all agreed that DeVito brings a different skill set to the QB position, and many of us will sleep easier if he's not taken down as often as Dungey was.

So what happens? DeVito will almost certainly account for at least some rushing yardage, and it's not difficult to envision some of Dungey's production spread around the running backs on the roster. How does the complexion of the offense change though? Teams had to really account for Dungey's ability to tuck and run. We did see DeVito get buried now and again last season without posing that same threat. On the other hand, reports are that Dungey may have been a bit quick to tote it and options for downfield passing existed in the offense that he gave up on too quickly. Dungey also never seemed to have much zip on screens and other passes to the side, and it's likely those quick hitters from DeVito become a much more frequent and effective part of the attack.

2. Is Cavanaugh the coach we think he is?

Not many coaches are entered into the cult, but Cavanaugh is one of them. The offensive line looked to improve significantly last season, but this season that positional unit appears to be one of the question marks. Cavanaugh came to us with a great resume coaching successful lines and players at the highest level of college football, and did nothing in year one to cast any doubt on his skill as a coach.

That said, he benefited from a high level grad transfer and a bevy of returning players with a lot of snaps under their belts. This season, the composition of the line simply has more unknowns. While the staff as a whole appears to have recruited and developed at a high level, there's a good chance the consistency of the line will depend to some extent on Cavanaugh's expertise. Is he as good as we hope?

3. Can the play of the young guys match their accolades?

Either one of the Andres had an unprecedented season, but having two relative unknowns earn All-American honors immediately is completely unheard of. DeVito is the most decorated incoming QB we've seen since McNabb, and Taj Harris very quietly set freshmen records for our program as a wideout.

Are each of these players able to build on the accolades? Kickers are hard to predict, and it's possible our offense produced an abnormal number of FG attempts and somewhat flukily made good. Cisco's 7 interceptions showed he can be at the right place at the right time and finish the play, but he is also player that has been burnt, sometimes takes angles that remove him from a play, and isn't exactly a thumper when it comes to tackling. There's room to grow. When I think back on DeVito's production as a backup, I feel much more positive about how he played than the stats suggest. If he's the big-time elite QB we believe, watch out, that record book is gonna be on fire. Re: Harris, what's the true ceiling? Given the freshman production, he now projects to be the statistically most productive WR in school history. Is he really that guy?

4. Can everything go according to plan for the second year in a row?

The formula is pretty simple to explain - outrun the other team so they wear out over the game, put up so many points your opponent has to do unnatural things to try to keep up, and use a high pressure, chaotic defense to force turnovers. All along, have special teams shine when called upon.

It's not the easiest formula to execute, and yet last season we did. We rarely trailed in any game, forced turnovers and big plays defensively, and simply wore other teams down. Really, it was a thing of beauty. As much as we could control most of those things, we did.

Those aren't all easy things to control. How big a threat is regression to the mean?

5 - Who will you be seeing in Hell? ;)

The downside of all of Dungey’s running was, he often didn’t let plays develop, and would call his own # much more quickly and often than perhaps the game situations actually warranted.
This did not make his WR’s very happy.

DeVito isn’t that instinctual scrambler that Dungey is (few are), but he’s more than serviceable to run when need be.
(He’s certainly light years better than the Fat Pirate, who put up video game #’s in Dino’s system - while mostly faking the runs to extend plays, not to actually run.)

The flip side is - TDV will certainly make more and bigger pass plays, by virtue of making all the proper reads, and having a laser guided cannon with a lightning release.

He also puts the ball where the receivers want it, and doesn’t make them break stride or adjust to it like ED’s passes often would.

5 - Who will you be seeing in Hell? ;)

The downside of all of Dungey’s running was, he often didn’t let plays develop, and would call his own # much more quickly and often than perhaps the game situations actually warranted.
This did not make his WR’s very happy.

DeVito isn’t that instinctual scrambler that Dungey is (few are), but he’s more than serviceable to run when need be.
(He’s certainly light years better than the Fat Pirate, who put up video game #’s in Dino’s system - while mostly faking the runs to extend plays, not to actually run.)

The flip side is - TDV will certainly make more and bigger pass plays, by virtue of making all the proper reads, and having a laser guided cannon with a lightning release.

He also puts the ball where the receivers want it, and doesn’t make them break stride or adjust to it like ED’s passes often would.
Narduzzi

I just have a feeling that the OL might be what the DL was last year - a group that came into their own, with a mixture of young talent and some experience.

I don’t think we’ve lived up to any national hype we’ve had since vt beat us 62-0 or whatever it was. I haven’t believed anything since then...and it scares the hell out of me when all logic points to this team being different. Experienced and explosive. The schedule also leaves no excuses that good execution won’t yield a good record. I kind of want to crawl into a hole and peek out after liberty and then assess how loose I can be with my heart (and since I don’t have espn plus, I actually wouldn’t be missing much in that hole).

I think Devito will be an upgrade at QB, and our OL will be fine. My biggest concern is can we defend the run. People are not going to want to get into shoot outs with us. PITT and Clemson running it down out throat is my biggest concern. We will rush the QB and cover WR's, but can we stop teams that say "we are running it down your throat...stop us".

I think Devito will be an upgrade at QB, and our OL will be fine. My biggest concern is can we defend the run. People are not going to want to get into shoot outs with us. PITT and Clemson running it down out throat is my biggest concern. We will rush the QB and cover WR's, but can we stop teams that say "we are running it down your throat...stop us".

When we get out to a big lead, this is mitigated a bit. We force them to play catch up, where running is less effective (although Narduzzi was patient enough to let it work last year).

I think Clemson will have the best O in the country this year and will be able to do whatever they want. We’ll be in a shootout with them, IMO.

I hope to see Special Teams become even more explosive this year.

I love Eric Dungey. I think you could make the case that he’s among the most important recruits we’ve ever had. His running skillset was perfect for last year’s team which had a very green group of WR’s. And now that the receiving group is not-so-green, we have Devito, who I suspect will be perfect for this year’s team. So the replacing Dungey’s running thing looks like an issue now but I suspect absolutely no one will be talking about it after say, the Maryland game.

We just had a season where Dungey ran for a ton of yardage/TD’s and we’ve collectively kind of forgotten what kind of passing stats can be attained in this offense. Let’s not forget that Erv Phillips caught 89 balls in a season in this offense. Jamal Custis, who was on a track of like 20 career catches before Dino decided to redshirt him, had 900 yards and 6TD’s. Zach Mahoney once threw for 440 yards in a game. I like those guys but they are non-difference making talent putting up difference maker stats.

The guys we have now like Trishton and Taj to me are closer to the fringe-y NFL talents of Ishmael(caught 105 balls, 1,347 yards, 7TD’s) and AET(94-1,482-14), and we seemingly have a QB better equipped to get them the ball, mainly because the word we hear about Tommy most often out of camp is….’accurate’.

And we lose Strickland and farm out all of his carries to Moe, Jarveon and Abdul, which is a net plus for me. So defenses can’t just sit and play the pass all day.

For the first time in a long time there's a convergence between our enthusiasm as fans for what the upcoming season holds, and the national perception and expectation of what we can accomplish as a program this year. My hope is we're a wire to wire Top 25 team, and conclude the bowl season with 9 or more wins.

My optimism aside, program building and sustaining success are fragile processes. The more I think about the upcoming season, the more the following questions come to mind. The more of these questions that we resolve well, the better the season I believe we can have.

1. How different is the offense without Dungey's rushing yards?

We've only ever seen a Babers offense at Syracuse that included the threat of Eric Dungey's instinctual running, with last season being Dungey's most successful on the ground amassing 750 yards and 15 rushing TDs. Dungey's running ability was a blessing and a curse, because while he did move the ball, it also subject him to a lot of hits. I think we're all agreed that DeVito brings a different skill set to the QB position, and many of us will sleep easier if he's not taken down as often as Dungey was.

So what happens? DeVito will almost certainly account for at least some rushing yardage, and it's not difficult to envision some of Dungey's production spread around the running backs on the roster. How does the complexion of the offense change though? Teams had to really account for Dungey's ability to tuck and run. We did see DeVito get buried now and again last season without posing that same threat. On the other hand, reports are that Dungey may have been a bit quick to tote it and options for downfield passing existed in the offense that he gave up on too quickly. Dungey also never seemed to have much zip on screens and other passes to the side, and it's likely those quick hitters from DeVito become a much more frequent and effective part of the attack.

2. Is Cavanaugh the coach we think he is?

Not many coaches are entered into the cult, but Cavanaugh is one of them. The offensive line looked to improve significantly last season, but this season that positional unit appears to be one of the question marks. Cavanaugh came to us with a great resume coaching successful lines and players at the highest level of college football, and did nothing in year one to cast any doubt on his skill as a coach.

That said, he benefited from a high level grad transfer and a bevy of returning players with a lot of snaps under their belts. This season, the composition of the line simply has more unknowns. While the staff as a whole appears to have recruited and developed at a high level, there's a good chance the consistency of the line will depend to some extent on Cavanaugh's expertise. Is he as good as we hope?

3. Can the play of the young guys match their accolades?

Either one of the Andres had an unprecedented season, but having two relative unknowns earn All-American honors immediately is completely unheard of. DeVito is the most decorated incoming QB we've seen since McNabb, and Taj Harris very quietly set freshmen records for our program as a wideout.

Are each of these players able to build on the accolades? Kickers are hard to predict, and it's possible our offense produced an abnormal number of FG attempts and somewhat flukily made good. Cisco's 7 interceptions showed he can be at the right place at the right time and finish the play, but he is also player that has been burnt, sometimes takes angles that remove him from a play, and isn't exactly a thumper when it comes to tackling. There's room to grow. When I think back on DeVito's production as a backup, I feel much more positive about how he played than the stats suggest. If he's the big-time elite QB we believe, watch out, that record book is gonna be on fire. Re: Harris, what's the true ceiling? Given the freshman production, he now projects to be the statistically most productive WR in school history. Is he really that guy?

4. Can everything go according to plan for the second year in a row?

The formula is pretty simple to explain - outrun the other team so they wear out over the game, put up so many points your opponent has to do unnatural things to try to keep up, and use a high pressure, chaotic defense to force turnovers. All along, have special teams shine when called upon.

It's not the easiest formula to execute, and yet last season we did. We rarely trailed in any game, forced turnovers and big plays defensively, and simply wore other teams down. Really, it was a thing of beauty. As much as we could control most of those things, we did.

Those aren't all easy things to control. How big a threat is regression to the mean?

Did everything go according to plan last year? We lost a few guys we thought we would be counting on to injuries and stuff. Dungey was great but also injured and up and down. We had some unexpected star performances from Guthrie, Cisco, Szymt, Riley, and Custis. Some things have already gone wrong (Williams, Cullen). Can we bounce back the way we did last year? QB depth is scary. I hope Welch can play as well as Tommy did last year.

Did everything go according to plan last year? We lost a few guys we thought we would be counting on to injuries and stuff. Dungey was great but also injured and up and down. We had some unexpected star performances from Guthrie, Cisco, Szymt, Riley, and Custis. Some things have already gone wrong (Williams, Cullen). Can we bounce back the way we did last year? QB depth is scary. I hope Welch can play as well as Tommy did last year.
Big picture in terms of how we want games to go, yeah, I think it all did go according to plan.

When we get out to a big lead, this is mitigated a bit. We force them to play catch up, where running is less effective (although Narduzzi was patient enough to let it work last year).

I think Clemson will have the best O in the country this year and will be able to do whatever they want. We’ll be in a shootout with them, IMO.
This requires us to get out to that big lead. Most of the time we should do that. If there are teams that can run it down our throat, they could be the teams that prevent it.

If football wasn't a game of alternate possession the ability to jump out to a big lead would be more important.

It's more important that our offense be efficient and limit quick 3 and outs so that those running teams don't have the ability to wear down our defense before we have the chance tomwear down theirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom