OJLL 2023 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

OJLL 2023

Spallina’s second goal was more impressive. Reminded me of Mikey Powell.
Agreed. Skipped around a little watching it last night and that one was nasty. A gazillion fakes and all of them useful. He should have some increased comfort and confidence finishing in tight situations this year.

Tonight's game @ 8 in Burlington won't be on youtube.

Curious how Deere was named first team but teammates Spallina and Marquis, who had more points, were not? What am I missing?
Never underestimate the power of a strong fighting record in a canadian league... But honestly I have no idea. Maybe something to do with them being older than him? Then there are weird positional differences like "transition" players versus strictly offensive guys and stuff like that.

Never underestimate the power of a strong fighting record in a canadian league... But honestly I have no idea. Maybe something to do with them being older than him? Then there are weird positional differences like "transition" players versus strictly offensive guys and stuff like that.
Anti-U.S. bias?

Nah. Marquis is Canadian. I am sure they have their reasons.
I'm referring to Joey Spallina. Wasn't he left out? I can see Koleton Marquis ahead of Joey but to not be chosen at all? Marquis & Deere are both Canadian. Good for Trey Deere.

I'm referring to Joey Spallina. Wasn't he left out? I can see Koleton Marquis ahead of Joey but to not be chosen at all? Marquis & Deere are both Canadian. Good for Trey Deere.
Yes I agree really makes no sense Joey was an easy first team choice I actually thought the anti American thing as well which I can understand. There’s also never been an American To do what he’s done in the OJLL

Yes I agree really makes no sense Joey was an easy first team choice I actually thought the anti American thing as well which I can understand. There’s also never been an American To do what he’s done in the OJLL
Great point!

With Deere over Marquis on first team despite the pretty massive stats difference, it is a sign that there are other factors at play besides just the number of points. I’m sure it is similar factors that account for Spallina not making one of the teams. Someone truly in the know about the OJLL could explain I’m sure, but that’s not me. I will stick to getting worked up about ncaa AA choices where I actually know the criteria!

Big game tonight and O'ville lost at home in the Bunny Barn. Saturdays game will be huge! For those who question why Joey wasn't a 1st team selection (based upon points) really don't know this game. This isn't a bias against American players.Trey's selection was more than deserving because he is all round amazing player. His finesse and box IQ is off the chart. Some on here say he isn't "athletic enough" for college lax but we will have to wait and see but my money is on Deere. Joey has had a great rookie season in the OJLL - no doubt. And while he has played box in the US it is not the same game as up here. He has a lot to learn about the box game and when he does he will be great. Impressive first season - absolutely!. Fist team- sorry, but no. I can't wait to see these two guys connect on the field at Cuse this season!

Big game tonight and O'ville lost at home in the Bunny Barn. Saturdays game will be huge! For those who question why Joey wasn't a 1st team selection (based upon points) really don't know this game. This isn't a bias against American players.Trey's selection was more than deserving because he is all round amazing player. His finesse and box IQ is off the chart. Some on here say he isn't "athletic enough" for college lax but we will have to wait and see but my money is on Deere. Joey has had a great rookie season in the OJLL - no doubt. And while he has played box in the US it is not the same game as up here. He has a lot to learn about the box game and when he does he will be great. Impressive first season - absolutely!. Fist team- sorry, but no. I can't wait to see these two guys connect on the field at Cuse this season!
On that subject- check out the disgusting one handed pass from Deere at 1:06:55 from last night. Such a tight situation to make that play. He always keeps his head up and stays calm no matter what.

Burlington had better offense, better defense, better goalie. The Northmen never really made adjustments necessary to consistently score.
Basically agree. . The Northmen went 2-0 against the Blaze in regular season and 2-4 in playoffs. The only tangibles differences were the Blaze traded with the Lakers for goalie Deacan Knott and the Northmen lost Scott one of their top defenders to injury mid season. Knott was outstanding all series with a lot of help from the goal pipe. (I don't want to minimize his play but it is a goaltenders best friend). Mariner, Rosa and Saris caused all kinds of problems for the Northmen defense, creating mismatches all series resulting in goals. Size. speed and great goalie performance when it counted made the difference for sure.

Basically agree. . The Northmen went 2-0 against the Blaze in regular season and 2-4 in playoffs. The only tangibles differences were the Blaze traded with the Lakers for goalie Deacan Knott and the Northmen lost Scott one of their top defenders to injury mid season. Knott was outstanding all series with a lot of help from the goal pipe. (I don't want to minimize his play but it is a goaltenders best friend). Mariner, Rosa and Saris caused all kinds of problems for the Northmen defense, creating mismatches all series resulting in goals. Size. speed and great goalie performance when it counted made the difference for sure.
I agree with everything. I'd add that I think the biggest difference was the Northmen's inability to get a sufficient number of quality shots. I also recall the play-by-play announcer wondering early in the series whether the Northmen goalie Chris Origlieri, the league MVP, might have been playing with some injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom