OJLL 2023 | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

OJLL 2023

I agree with everything. I'd add that I think the biggest difference was the Northmen's inability to get a sufficient number of quality shots. I also recall the play-by-play announcer wondering early in the series whether the Northmen goalie Chris Origlieri, the league MVP, might have been playing with some injury.
I tuned in yesterday, and admittedly, even though I have watched field lax religiously since the mid 80s, this is one of the first box games I sat all the way through. Not that I don't like it, its just that it isn't on much, not promoted well, and I don't seek it out. This season I've been following clips of Spallina and Deere.

My 11th grader recently finished up a small box league in Orlando. As a parent, it was a LOT of fun. This version of the game is a great option, and in some ways more accessible than the field game. I hope he gets to play more of it. His team upset the #1 seed to advance to the championship. He got the game winner in a shootout. Unfortunately, he got all jacked up after about 3 hits into the board and sprained his back (in addition to breaking a metacarpal after being hit by a stick/ball while on D). Physical game.

Anyhow, as to this game, you both nailed it. The Burlington team generated way more shots, & better shots, all game. Both goalies played well, but the Burlington goalie was a bit better, outstanding really, Somewhere near the mid point of the game, the Northmen started settling for longer shots (against an already red hot goalie), and at that point it was effectively over.

The Northmen just could not penetrate the D, and when they did, they paid dearly.

The Northmen couldn't slow them down on O either. The long shots often careening into Burlington sticks, leading to fast breaks.

Not sure how much box Spallina has played, but this must have been a great experience for him. He took a beating for sure.

Will be interesting to see how Deere's size translates at the next level. He seems small. Obviously his stick skills are next level, and he seems quick enough. Some good options to have at SU.

That said, I found myself wanting some of these other players, specifically the Burlington D, that leading scorer of theirs, and Marquis on SU as well!

I tuned in yesterday, and admittedly, even though I have watched field lax religiously since the mid 80s, this is one of the first box games I sat all the way through. Not that I don't like it, its just that it isn't on much, not promoted well, and I don't seek it out. This season I've been following clips of Spallina and Deere.

My 11th grader recently finished up a small box league in Orlando. As a parent, it was a LOT of fun. This version of the game is a great option, and in some ways more accessible than the field game. I hope he gets to play more of it. His team upset the #1 seed to advance to the championship. He got the game winner in a shootout. Unfortunately, he got all jacked up after about 3 hits into the board and sprained his back (in addition to breaking a metacarpal after being hit by a stick/ball while on D). Physical game.
it is a physical game, and a lot of fun. lots of benefits.

having your son run into the boards 3! x is pretty disturbing, tho. it'd probably surprise people how tight a lot of the rules are in canada for safety given how rough the game is.

no hits on loosies. no icepicks. no charging. no hits from behind [it's not a 30 second push, but a major]. paramount above all else is not running anyone into the boards. only thing allowed is pinning or riding someone trying to fit into too small on opening. the canadians know health and well-being is top of mind, and the hits and crosschecks allowed are specific.

without knowing for sure, it sure sounds like the organizers didn't do a great job of policing this with orientation to refs, players, etc. that's the type of thing in u.s. leagues that should get game misconduct early and often in the season so it doesn't happen at all.

it is a physical game, and a lot of fun. lots of benefits.

having your son run into the boards 3! x is pretty disturbing, tho. it'd probably surprise people how tight a lot of the rules are in canada for safety given how rough the game is.

no hits on loosies. no icepicks. no charging. no hits from behind [it's not a 30 second push, but a major]. paramount above all else is not running anyone into the boards. only thing allowed is pinning or riding someone trying to fit into too small on opening. the canadians know health and well-being is top of mind, and the hits and crosschecks allowed are specific.

without knowing for sure, it sure sounds like the organizers didn't do a great job of policing this with orientation to refs, players, etc. that's the type of thing in u.s. leagues that should get game misconduct early and often in the season so it doesn't happen at all.
I appreciate the insight. The refs pretty much did not make any calls. Maybe 1 call game. Its in FL, so its an emerging place, and the best of the best were not really in the league.

There were a couple teams that were really physical, and at least 4 players that were out and out goons.

I will speak to the founder about it, but don't really know the rules.

Some of the things I saw that surprised me were:
* > 3 steps leading up to a hit (this was happening all the time)
* Cross-checks to the back of someone's head
* Running into the boards (which I recall happening to me the couple games of box I played back in 88 (winter league out in the Camillus / Fairmont area).

The refs had the whistles in their mouths and just watched it happened. As nothing was really ever called, it got worse as the season progressed.

My kid is hurt. He claims his back feels a little better each day, but a week later and he is hurt still. His posture seems more slouched too. We'll see at the follow up.

My son played box in Canada for a few seasons over 15 years ago and I was disappointed at the hits that were dished out and not fully penalized or dealt with. He ended up with concussions that ultimately prevented him from playing hockey or lacrosse later in college. I was hoping things would be better now.

I appreciate the insight. The refs pretty much did not make any calls. Maybe 1 call game. Its in FL, so its an emerging place, and the best of the best were not really in the league.

There were a couple teams that were really physical, and at least 4 players that were out and out goons.

I will speak to the founder about it, but don't really know the rules.

Some of the things I saw that surprised me were:
* > 3 steps leading up to a hit (this was happening all the time)
* Cross-checks to the back of someone's head
* Running into the boards (which I recall happening to me the couple games of box I played back in 88 (winter league out in the Camillus / Fairmont area).

The refs had the whistles in their mouths and just watched it happened. As nothing was really ever called, it got worse as the season progressed.

My kid is hurt. He claims his back feels a little better each day, but a week later and he is hurt still. His posture seems more slouched too. We'll see at the follow up.
yeah, that's straight horse manure. my kid (and my team), as well as myself have played in box leagues, have a good amount of experience @ it. i wouldn't do it or have allowed it if it wasn't done right. fortunately, i knew the organizers and the officials and how it was going to be done.

here are the latest OLA rules i could find [link]. if you do have that discussion, i'd advocate for running a real box league where everyone knows and does the rules properly. & the boards are nothing to mess with. otherwise, nobody i had influence on would be playing.

go to the pdf near the bottom on box rules:

In all the pics I been seeing of Joey lately he looks like he's turning into a man. Doesn't have that little boy face anymore. That's a good thing too. He's gonna be a monster this yr. Can't wait to watch him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom