OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

I’m curious about what is new and trendsetting.
Nothing wrong with liking more progressive food scenes, but I'm not sure that's ever going to be Syracuse on a bigger scale. I actually love Syracuse for it's old traditional places though, because they're good and proven over time. I will say Apizza Regionale is new, and it's a homerun, for more than just the surrounding area. If Syracuse spit out one of those homeruns every 5-10 years, along side old traditional places, that's a great thing imo.

Last edited:
You just called Pastabilities overrated and then in the same thread recommended Santangelos? Thumbs down.

The only time I go to Pastabilities now is for work events or Lunch. Their lunch is great. We never go for dinner.

It's good, but I'm not about to wait around with other places that are just as good or better.

Pastabilities is turning into a place that out of towners go to much like Dinosaur.

Instead of waiting at Dinosaur people need to walk across the street and go to Pizza Regionale.

I see we disagree on Santangelos, but overall I've had good dinners there.

Might be the dumbest post in this board's history.

Lol if you say so. Relatively speaking, it is weak. Living in Buffalo the last decade, it's really not even close.

I mean Pastabilities is the restaurant most are hanging their hat on lol

Dark Horse! It was a while ago but they had a slab bacon steak with maple bourbon sauce as a special. I swear to God my wife and I had a food orgasm right in the middle of that place. Awesome spot. Always a great experience there.

Thumbs down to The Mission. Don't waste your time with that pretentious excuse for a restaurant. Go right down the street to Otro Cinco or to big brother Alto Cinco on Westcott.

Second for Lemongrass. Thai with unique class and flair.

New spot on Montgomery Street called 317 is also very good.

And I'm telling you (again), The Cider Mill. True gastronomic experience and great people.
Loved 317

Lol if you say so. Relatively speaking, it is weak. Living in Buffalo the last decade, it's really not even close.

I'm glad a city double the size of Syracuse is better at something. That's often how it should be. The OP, however, didn't ask for a comparison between cities or a critique of the Syracuse food scene. He asked for suggestions for where he should eat. Your post offered nothing helpful.

I'm glad a city double the size of Syracuse is better at something. That's often how it should be. The OP, however, didn't ask for a comparison between cities or a critique of the Syracuse food scene. He asked for suggestions for where he should eat. Your post offered nothing helpful.

Size has nothing to do with quality. I'm sorry you're offended. Also, it's a forum, if I'm the first one to veer slightly off topic, shoot me.

Size has nothing to do with quality. I'm sorry you're offended. Also, it's a forum, if I'm the first one to veer slightly off topic, shoot me.
More people = larger pool of talent, greater potential investment pool, and larger pool of economically capable patrons.

As someone who has lived in both Syracuse and Buffalo, I'm curious to as what Buffalo restaurants you find superior?

Buffalo has possibly the worst pizza in NY state and I generally find that Syracuse has better Italian food overall. I did enjoy Tempo for fine dining. Buffalo Chop House was severely overrated imo and seemed to be a local favorite.

I do miss an occasional 3 AM chicken finger sub from Jims Steakout or fried bologna sandwich from The Pink.

Size has nothing to do with quality.
Where have you eaten here the past ten years?

I briefly moved back about a year ago. Delmonico's, Joey's, Blue Tusk, Aztecas (a lot of Aztecas), Dino BBQ, Colemans. It's okay, then there's a big drop off. I just think we can do better. Sorry, not sorry.

As someone who has lived in both Syracuse and Buffalo, I'm curious to as what Buffalo restaurants you find superior?

Buffalo has possibly the worst pizza in NY state and I generally find that Syracuse has better Italian food overall. I did enjoy Tempo for fine dining. Buffalo Chop House was severely overrated imo and seemed to be a local favorite.

I do miss an occasional 3 AM chicken finger sub from Jims Steakout or fried bologna sandwich from The Pink.

The Pink's steak sandwich is actually surprisingly good, for being such a sketchy looking place.

La Nova's and Franco's pizza is good.

All of elmwood, Hertle, downtown, Allentown.
Coles
Thinman
40 Thieves (formerly the blue monk)
Allen town burger venture
Pearl Street
Big Ditch
Agave
Tempo
Mothers
Macs
Gabriel's Gate
Don Tequila
Acropolis
Ashkers
Fat Bobs
Hutchs
Colter Bay
Remington
Lloyds

I will say that Buffalo does have more fine dining options: Oliver's, Patina 250, Hutch's, Tempo, to name a few. Of course, economically, I don't really think Syracuse can support something like that. I will also say that while I think there are some great restaurants in Syracuse, Buffalo does have Syracuse beat in terms of variety and creativity. However, to say that there are no good places to eat in Syracuse is asinine.

Also - kind of agree with your take on Buffalo pizza. At the very least, it's highly overrated (some publication just named Buffalo to a list of the best places to get pizza in the country). I've only found a few places in 4 years of living here that I would say I really like their pizza, and two of those places are more of the trendy Apizza Regionale artisan brick-oven style pizza versus your regular pizza place. And don't get me started on the pepperoni they put on the pizzas here...

IMO Prime is the most over rated restaurant in Syracuse. If you want to try something new. There is a new place that just opened in Armory Square called Citronelle. I attended their soft opening and the food was fantastic. Great atmosphere and set up as well.

The York is another very good place that has been around for a few years on Fayette St.

If you are looking for the best scallop or lobster roll you will have anywhere outside of a coastal city, The Fish Friar is also highly recommended and has outdoor seating.

All of these are in or around Armory.

This is pretty much spot on.

Not overly impressed by Prime either

The York was excellent the 2 times I have been there and will make that a regular stop when back in town.

I briefly moved back about a year ago. Delmonico's, Joey's, Blue Tusk, Aztecas (a lot of Aztecas), Dino BBQ, Colemans. It's okay, then there's a big drop off. I just think we can do better. Sorry, not sorry.

You need to expand where you go.

There's a lot better places out there than just what you mentioned. People have stated them above.

I used to like BC in Armory Square (even though I loathed the name). I see it's been replaced by The York? Is it any good?

In our infrequent visits, we always end up doing Dinosaur.

In my opinion, The York isn't as good as bc was at its best. That's more a reflection on bc than The York, which is a solid restaurant if a little inconsistent. I've had some good meals there and some kind of flat meals there. Definite "scene" kind of place with pretty uncomfortable seats.

Citronelle is picking up this mantle. I've only been once, but it's very good. Its sister restaurants are Lemon Grass and Bistro Elephant. Not sure Citronelle is at that level yet, but the food is executed well and the space is beautiful.

Keeping it in the area where the OP is staying:

I appreciate someone's 317 on Montgomery mention. I love this place, which is always half-empty when we've eaten there. It's on a quiet block across from the YMCA, so there are occasional street people and apparently random walk-in traffic doesn't find this place. So I'm glad they're still in business. But the food is good.

The Mission is solid. I think they call themselves "Pan American" - pretty much just a Latin-influenced place in an old church with an Underground Railroad history. Nice, not my first choice, though.

The Fish Friar is terrific. Very short menu, excellent beers on draft.

With Love has been doing great things, but from a culinary and educational standpoint (it's a restaurant start-up incubator run by OCC; every six months they give a different person a chance to run the place and learn the biz with a new menu). Haven't tried this Palestinian iteration yet, but hope to get in there in the next couple weeks.

I like Apizza a lot. Can be tough to get a table. Buzzy place but pleasant space. Pasta dishes are usually good, and I've liked the pies I've tried (they had a spicy salmon nduja last fall that was crazy good, not sure if that's on the menu right now).

Everyone likes Francesca's...it's almost so overrated that it's underrated because it's so good, if that makes sense. Food is good across the board, prices are reasonable, outdoor space is incredible and the inside is nice enough too. Service is shaky - some servers are very personable (there's a guy named Pat O'Brian who's hilarious) and some aren't, and the hostesses often have a kind of townie standoffishness...it kind of has the vibe of a regulars place in some ways, but it isn't, and it's worth a visit.

XO Taco is a new place between downtown and the hill, just opened last week. Haven't been but am hearing good things.

The Stoop is a year-old restaurant/bar/bakeshop on West Fayette in Armory. Restaurant's a mixed bag. Bakery is phenomenal. This is worth a stop.

Defi Cuisine Corp. is two blocks up from there. The menu doesn't grab me, but everyone I know who's been is raving about it.

A little farther afield, Riley's is awesome. Same deal with the Cider Mill, so underrated for a random little joint, though I didn't really care for their summer menu this year. Counting down the days til they break out something new for fall.

The Pink's steak sandwich is actually surprisingly good, for being such a sketchy looking place.

La Nova's and Franco's pizza is good.

All of elmwood, Hertle, downtown, Allentown.
Coles
Thinman
40 Thieves (formerly the blue monk)
Allen town burger venture
Pearl Street
Big Ditch
Agave
Tempo
Mothers
Macs
Gabriel's Gate
Don Tequila
Acropolis
Ashkers
Fat Bobs
Hutchs
Colter Bay
Remington
Lloyds

Hahaha I have been to at least half on this list and was a bartender at Colter Bay back in late 90's.

Agree to disagree on the pizza. La Nova is slightly above average and Buffalo's best. Pizza is really bad in WNY as its doughy and undercooked. People in Buffalo act as if they have great pizza too which is shocking. Buffalo should stick to the wings and chicken finger subs fro takeout.

I absolutely loved Gabriels Gate for wings. Pearl St and Coles never did much for me.

Big Ditch I'm not familiar with?

Depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I really dislike "Italian" restaurants and don't go to them, YMMV. The Dark Horse is a personal fave, as is Riley's. Brian' Landing is nice, especially on clear nights with a sunset. It's about time the state did something interesting with that space. Best patio view in the local Syracuse area. It can get very busy.

I live on the east side, so I don't spend a lot of time downtown. Recently, I've tried the Stoop and liked that place. The Fish Friar makes decent fish, but the mushy peas are not the British version - honestly they should stop calling them as mushy peas, it's like calling a hot dog an Italian sausage.

Shifty's for wings, beer, and pool.

What they do, they do well.

But it's about my 57th choice for dinner. Unthinkable that people wait hours for a table at Pastabilities with so many good options out there.

Their lunch is great, though.
IMHO you could sort of say the same thing about Dino - which seems to be losing some steam and serving smaller portions.

Go to Alamo's Grocery and Deli next to the Limerick pub on Walton St. down town. Go to the back and ask for a chicken kabob "sandwich" (it's more like a wrap on pita bread). You will be as close to heaven as you can get for under 10 bucks. Also a cheddar burger at Riley's.

IMHO you could sort of say the same thing about Dino - which seems to be losing some steam and serving smaller portions.

Yeah, and both are similar in that out-of-towners will push to go to both of them. That's the only time I go to Dino, with visitors. And it's fine, just kind of overrated. Though sometimes the brisket is really terrible.

On the other hand, I've never had bad brisket or anything else at an event at Upstairs at Dino. Somehow the quality control is so much better up there.

Go to Alamo's Grocery and Deli next to the Limerick pub on Walton St. down town. Go to the back and ask for a chicken kabob "sandwich" (it's more like a wrap on pita bread). You will be as close to heaven as you can get for under 10 bucks. Also a cheddar burger at Riley's.

Farther from downtown, but Pyramids Halal on East Division and Lodi does great kabobs. Alamo's is a nice hidden gem choice, though - get past the $20 six-packs and $5/gallon milk and their take-out stuff is actually very good.