OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

As someone who has lived in both Syracuse and Buffalo, I'm curious to as what Buffalo restaurants you find superior?

Buffalo has possibly the worst pizza in NY state and I generally find that Syracuse has better Italian food overall. I did enjoy Tempo for fine dining. Buffalo Chop House was severely overrated imo and seemed to be a local favorite.

I do miss an occasional 3 AM chicken finger sub from Jims Steakout or fried bologna sandwich from The Pink.

I agree with all of this...especially the 3am stop at Jims Steakout.

As someone who has lived in both Syracuse and Buffalo, I'm curious to as what Buffalo restaurants you find superior?

Buffalo has possibly the worst pizza in NY state and I generally find that Syracuse has better Italian food overall. I did enjoy Tempo for fine dining. Buffalo Chop House was severely overrated imo and seemed to be a local favorite.

I do miss an occasional 3 AM chicken finger sub from Jims Steakout or fried bologna sandwich from The Pink.
Agree on the pizza. I lived there 3 years and tried about 5 "best pizza in Buffalo" which all left me scratching my head and saying "really?"

I think people that live there have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and therefore feel the need to tell you it's better than whatever city you are in.

I like Syracuse a lot and the location is also central to more things I personally like. Go west and you hit the Finger Lakes. Go North and you hit the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario. Go northeast and you hit the Adirondacks all within an hour or two.

Most underrated place in Buffalo... Niagara River. However, boat on the Canadian side of Grand Island...it's really nice. The Buffalo side is chemical plants.

Agree on the pizza. I lived there 3 years and tried about 5 "best pizza in Buffalo" which all left me scratching my head and saying "really?"

I think people that live there have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and therefore feel the need to tell you it's better than whatever city you are in.

I like Syracuse a lot and the location is also central to more things I personally like. Go west and you hit the Finger Lakes. Go North and you hit the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario. Go northeast and you hit the Adirondacks all within an hour or two.

Most underrated place in Buffalo... Niagara River. However, boat on the Canadian side of Grand Island...it's really nice. The Buffalo side is chemical plants.

Truer words have never been said. Buffalonians definitely have that chip on their shoulder and rightfully so to an extent. People always trash the city which is sometimes puzzling. Just like Syracuse, they have some beautiful architecture and buildings and the city is extremely easy to navigate with light traffic.

Big positive for Buffalo is the proximity to Toronto but then again it puts them 2 hours further away from NYC.

Dark Horse! It was a while ago but they had a slab bacon steak with maple bourbon sauce as a special. I swear to God my wife and I had a food orgasm right in the middle of that place. Awesome spot. Always a great experience there.

Thumbs down to The Mission. Don't waste your time with that pretentious excuse for a restaurant. Go right down the street to Otro Cinco or to big brother Alto Cinco on Westcott.

Second for Lemongrass. Thai with unique class and flair.

New spot on Montgomery Street called 317 is also very good.

And I'm telling you (again), The Cider Mill. True gastronomic experience and great people.
I'll have what she's having. :rolling:

Even for its size, Buffalo has a better food scene than you'd expect. Great food town! I don't know that I've ever had pizza there so I can't comment on that.

I can't speak for Syracuse since nowadays, I only eat at places fast and convenient to the dome.

Hahaha I have been to at least half on this list and was a bartender at Colter Bay back in late 90's.

Agree to disagree on the pizza. La Nova is slightly above average and Buffalo's best. Pizza is really bad in WNY as its doughy and undercooked. People in Buffalo act as if they have great pizza too which is shocking. Buffalo should stick to the wings and chicken finger subs fro takeout.

I absolutely loved Gabriels Gate for wings. Pearl St and Coles never did much for me.

Big Ditch I'm not familiar with?

You nailed the Buffalo pizza assessment. My wife is Orchard Park born and raised and used to think two inch under-cooked pizza was the best until I introduced her to Pavone's and other NY style pizza joints.

Buffalo pizza is half-arsed Sicilian style that should've cooked another 5 minutes. Buffalonians are cultish about their food (like most Upstaters). They're great at a lot of cuisines but wow are they AWFUL at pizza.

In my opinion, The York isn't as good as bc was at its best. That's more a reflection on bc than The York, which is a solid restaurant if a little inconsistent. I've had some good meals there and some kind of flat meals there. Definite "scene" kind of place with pretty uncomfortable seats.

Citronelle is picking up this mantle. I've only been once, but it's very good. Its sister restaurants are Lemon Grass and Bistro Elephant. Not sure Citronelle is at that level yet, but the food is executed well and the space is beautiful.

Keeping it in the area where the OP is staying:

I appreciate someone's 317 on Montgomery mention. I love this place, which is always half-empty when we've eaten there. It's on a quiet block across from the YMCA, so there are occasional street people and apparently random walk-in traffic doesn't find this place. So I'm glad they're still in business. But the food is good.

The Mission is solid. I think they call themselves "Pan American" - pretty much just a Latin-influenced place in an old church with an Underground Railroad history. Nice, not my first choice, though.

The Fish Friar is terrific. Very short menu, excellent beers on draft.

With Love has been doing great things, but from a culinary and educational standpoint (it's a restaurant start-up incubator run by OCC; every six months they give a different person a chance to run the place and learn the biz with a new menu). Haven't tried this Palestinian iteration yet, but hope to get in there in the next couple weeks.

I like Apizza a lot. Can be tough to get a table. Buzzy place but pleasant space. Pasta dishes are usually good, and I've liked the pies I've tried (they had a spicy salmon nduja last fall that was crazy good, not sure if that's on the menu right now).

Everyone likes Francesca's...it's almost so overrated that it's underrated because it's so good, if that makes sense. Food is good across the board, prices are reasonable, outdoor space is incredible and the inside is nice enough too. Service is shaky - some servers are very personable (there's a guy named Pat O'Brian who's hilarious) and some aren't, and the hostesses often have a kind of townie standoffishness...it kind of has the vibe of a regulars place in some ways, but it isn't, and it's worth a visit.

XO Taco is a new place between downtown and the hill, just opened last week. Haven't been but am hearing good things.

The Stoop is a year-old restaurant/bar/bakeshop on West Fayette in Armory. Restaurant's a mixed bag. Bakery is phenomenal. This is worth a stop.

Defi Cuisine Corp. is two blocks up from there. The menu doesn't grab me, but everyone I know who's been is raving about it.

A little farther afield, Riley's is awesome. Same deal with the Cider Mill, so underrated for a random little joint, though I didn't really care for their summer menu this year. Counting down the days til they break out something new for fall.

The Stoop’s brunch only on Sunday’s is amazing. Probably the best brunch menu you will find in Syracuse.

With Love has been doing great things, but from a culinary and educational standpoint (it's a restaurant start-up incubator run by OCC; every six months they give a different person a chance to run the place and learn the biz with a new menu). Haven't tried this Palestinian iteration yet, but hope to get in there in the next couple weeks.

I love WITH LOVE. It's always a little of a gamble after a change over, but I've found every experience enjoyable. I also have not gone to the newest opening, but I enjoy the short menu idea, the tiny seating area, and each set of new "owners" have been so enthusiastic and amiable that it enhances the experience. I might not recommend it to out-of-towners, but I regularly take friends there who are interested in a different type of restaurant option.

One of the best restaurants and food anywhere in the nation:
home - Camillus, - Inn Between Restaurant

Some others out by where I live:
The Sherwood Inn
https://joellesfrenchbistrony.com (one of the nations best French restaurants)
Elderberry Pond Country Foods
Home

Fancy Italian heaven:
joeys

Casual Italian heaven:
angottis on Burnett av

Along with dinosaur made famous by guy fieries (sp?) visit:
Witamy!

For great steaks Prime as already mentioned (haven't been but heard stones is good), this place is great:
https://www.daniellassteakhouse.com

And if you want to stay close to downtown/the dome here's 10 more that are good to great:
Like a Local: The best restaurants in Syracuse - TravelMag

If you are willing to go to the Sherwood also look at the 1820 house. I went one time, but my wife and I talk about it every now and then as one of the best meals we have had.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I only make it up to Syracuse once or twice per year, and there are two things I absolutely have to have when I'm in town...

1. A Cheeseburger Sub from Oswego Sub Shop
2. Dinosaur BBQ
If you’re short on time and don’t want to trek to Oswego but want a good cheeseburger sub, a fairly new pizza place on Court Street called The Pizza Cutters makes a really good one.

Hahaha I have been to at least half on this list and was a bartender at Colter Bay back in late 90's.

Agree to disagree on the pizza. La Nova is slightly above average and Buffalo's best. Pizza is really bad in WNY as its doughy and undercooked. People in Buffalo act as if they have great pizza too which is shocking. Buffalo should stick to the wings and chicken finger subs fro takeout.

I absolutely loved Gabriels Gate for wings. Pearl St and Coles never did much for me.

Big Ditch I'm not familiar with?

You should see Colter Bay now, its shockingly different. Before the re-model, I wouldn't eat there, now it's super nice and the food is great. Should pop back in if you ever come back around. Big Ditch is relatively new.

In my opinion, The York isn't as good as bc was at its best. That's more a reflection on bc than The York, which is a solid restaurant if a little inconsistent. I've had some good meals there and some kind of flat meals there. Definite "scene" kind of place with pretty uncomfortable seats.

Citronelle is picking up this mantle. I've only been once, but it's very good. Its sister restaurants are Lemon Grass and Bistro Elephant. Not sure Citronelle is at that level yet, but the food is executed well and the space is beautiful.

Keeping it in the area where the OP is staying:

I appreciate someone's 317 on Montgomery mention. I love this place, which is always half-empty when we've eaten there. It's on a quiet block across from the YMCA, so there are occasional street people and apparently random walk-in traffic doesn't find this place. So I'm glad they're still in business. But the food is good.

The Mission is solid. I think they call themselves "Pan American" - pretty much just a Latin-influenced place in an old church with an Underground Railroad history. Nice, not my first choice, though.

The Fish Friar is terrific. Very short menu, excellent beers on draft.

I like Apizza a lot. Can be tough to get a table. Buzzy place but pleasant space. Pasta dishes are usually good, and I've liked the pies I've tried (they had a spicy salmon nduja last fall that was crazy good, not sure if that's on the menu right now).

Everyone likes Francesca's...it's almost so overrated that it's underrated because it's so good, if that makes sense. Food is good across the board, prices are reasonable, outdoor space is incredible and the inside is nice enough too. Service is shaky - some servers are very personable (there's a guy named Pat O'Brian who's hilarious) and some aren't, and the hostesses often have a kind of townie standoffishness...it kind of has the vibe of a regulars place in some ways, but it isn't, and it's worth a visit.

XO Taco is a new place between downtown and the hill, just opened last week. Haven't been but am hearing good things.

The Stoop is a year-old restaurant/bar/bakeshop on West Fayette in Armory. Restaurant's a mixed bag. Bakery is phenomenal. This is worth a stop.

Defi Cuisine Corp. is two blocks up from there. The menu doesn't grab me, but everyone I know who's been is raving about it.

A little farther afield, Riley's is awesome. Same deal with the Cider Mill, so underrated for a random little joint, though I didn't really care for their summer menu this year. Counting down the days til they break out something new for fall.

Very comprehensive list there, an excellent job as always.

A few more to consider

Dosa Grill is a must if you like Indian Food. They have a few different iterations but the namesake and original in Dewitt is the place to go. They have a lunch buffet 7 days a week and every Monday night. Never had a bad meal. Highly recommend the lunch buffet.

Firudo in Dewitt is another great place - It's an Asian restaurant that also has an all you can eat option. You fill out your sheet and pick from a wide range of sushi, specialty rolls, hand rolls, negiri, noodle dishes and other japanese style appetizers. Price is very reasonable and its impossible not to leave full beyond belief.

CuseRegular mentioned it previously but Eva's is a must stop. The best polish food in town by far. A great restaurant in an old house in Solvay. Kinda weird hours though so look it up before venturing over. The perogies and the Glumpki things are amazing.

I think someone also mentioned Rosalies in Skaneateles, can't recommend this place enough. I am not a huge Italian food guy but this is place is a homerun. One of the best meals I have ever had.

Darwins - Great sandwich place, I think there still only open during the week but highly recommended. They have some stuff you don't normally see for there sandwiches and other offerings, and they use both pastas stretch bread and Dilaurios.

Cider Mill as OM noted is a great place. Summer menu wasn't as good as the fall/winter but food is outstanding and a great craft beer list.

Erawan Thai on Erie Blvd is a great under the radar place. It can be a little pricey but the food is great, my wife loves this place. Wide ranging menu as well, highly recomend.

A few more to consider

Dosa Grill is a must if you like Indian Food. They have a few different iterations but the namesake and original in Dewitt is the place to go. They have a lunch buffet 7 days a week and every Monday night. Never had a bad meal. Highly recommend the lunch buffet.

Firudo in Dewitt is another great place - It's an Asian restaurant that also has an all you can eat option. You fill out your sheet and pick from a wide range of sushi, specialty rolls, hand rolls, negiri, noodle dishes and other japanese style appetizers. Price is very reasonable and its impossible not to leave full beyond belief.

CuseRegular mentioned it previously but Eva's is a must stop. The best polish food in town by far. A great restaurant in an old house in Solvay. Kinda weird hours though so look it up before venturing over. The perogies and the Glumpki things are amazing.

I think someone also mentioned Rosalies in Skaneateles, can't recommend this place enough. I am not a huge Italian food guy but this is place is a homerun. One of the best meals I have ever had.

Darwins - Great sandwich place, I think there still only open during the week but highly recommended. They have some stuff you don't normally see for there sandwiches and other offerings, and they use both pastas stretch bread and Dilaurios.

Cider Mill as OM noted is a great place. Summer menu wasn't as good as the fall/winter but food is outstanding and a great craft beer list.

Erawan Thai on Erie Blvd is a great under the radar place. It can be a little pricey but the food is great, my wife loves this place. Wide ranging menu as well, highly recomend.

I would like this if you had only mentioned Dosa Grill- best Indian food in Syracuse and it is not even close. I've been to India twice on business and that's the closest facsimile to the real thing.

If you like Darwin's- try Today's Special (State Tower Building). Great sandwiches and our staff loves the waffle fries, if you like that sort of thing.

Elegant dining, only thing I would mention that hasn't been said on this thread is the Brewster Inn in Cazenovia. Incredible food and a great atmosphere.

I would like this if you had only mentioned Dosa Grill- best Indian food in Syracuse and it is not even close. I've been to India twice on business and that's the closest facsimile to the real thing.

If you like Darwin's- try Today's Special (State Tower Building). Great sandwiches and our staff loves the waffle fries, if you like that sort of thing.

Elegant dining, only thing I would mention that hasn't been said on this thread is the Brewster Inn in Cazenovia. Incredible food and a great atmosphere.

When I worked downtown we used to go to Todays Special as well, the group I did lunch with sometimes was infatuated with the place. I haven't been in a while though. Couldn't agree more about Dosa Grill, so underrated I fear if the word ever gets fully out the place will be untouchable. My wife would run someone over for that Naan bread.

Haven't been to the Brewster in a while but good call another nice place.

Almost forgot to mention Finally Ours the Diner on Onondaga Hill where the old Ryfuns was,not far from OCC and across from the Gas station and the Hollow Pumpkin Patch.. Hands down the best Diner in Syracuse, every weekend they pack them in. Luckily they turn over tables like nobodies business but that place is great. Never had a bad meal and menu is extensive. Try the prime rib omelete or the country fried steak both great. If you haven't been get there.

When I worked downtown we used to go to Todays Special as well, the group I did lunch with sometimes was infatuated with the place. I haven't been in a while though. Couldn't agree more about Dosa Grill, so underrated I fear if the word ever gets fully out the place will be untouchable. My wife would run someone over for that Naan bread.

Haven't been to the Brewster in a while but good call another nice place.

Almost forgot to mention Finally Ours the Diner on Onondaga Hill where the old Ryfuns was,not far from OCC and across from the Gas station and the Hollow Pumpkin Patch.. Hands down the best Diner in Syracuse, every weekend they pack them in. Luckily they turn over tables like nobodies business but that place is great. Never had a bad meal and menu is extensive. Try the prime rib omelete or the country fried steak both great. If you haven't been get there.

I know I should be focused on Florida State but I am starving so I am going back to this thread!

Finally Ours is in the list, I have driven by there a bunch of times and it is always packed. I am a Ruston’s Diner enthusiast although that is more of your standard greasy spoon.

Couple other east side options-

Agree with everyone that Dino BBQ is a bit overrated...but if you are looking for good BBQ and are up for a drive, try Ray Brothers outside Morrisville. Incredible food, much better than Dino.

Other place I haven’t seen mentioned is Gino’s in Fayetteville. Great place for cheesesteaks, about 15 different varieties. Definitely a hole in the wall place but great for that option...

Buffalo 'pizza' is trash and their wings are highly overrated. Anchor Bar was trash both times I went, and their pepperoni is amateur

Just a note about Finally Ours. As others have noted it is usually packed and relatively quick turn around but keep in mind it closes at 3pm.

A few more to consider

Rosalie's was started by Phil Romano of Fuddruckers fame in honor of his sister Rosalie (my former neighbor growing up). One of many great spots to eat in Skaneateles. I'd also recommend Krebs