OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

OK, fair enough. You have a much better chance at a good meal someplace when you have someone to recommend stuff off the menu.

My sons go to there is the Parmesan crusted talapia. My wife gets some chicken thing. Maybe chicken Marsala.

yeah, agreed on that..there is a small window when it is cooked correctly...

But I find over/undercooking to be less of a problem than the salting issue...

So many times, it gets delivered to the table and the color is right and the texture is right but there is not enough flavor because there is either no salt or not enough salt. And you cannot salt it at the table. Too late.

Sorry rubbery overcooked beats under-seasoned

Sorry rubbery overcooked beats under-seasoned

That isn't what I meant.

What I meant was that I tend find calamari that is properly cooked but under-seasoned more often than I find it over or under-cooked.

As far as I am concerned, they are equally inedible...

Not exclusively Italian - The Cider Mill
The Cider Mill

For great casual diner type experience. Finally Our's Diner
Finally Our's Diner

The Cider Mill was ripped off my 2 employees recently to the tune of around $68,000. I think husband was one of the managers, and his wife was the accomplice.

Anyone know anything about Atillio’s on James?

It was awesome on North Salina. Haven't been to the new location.

I had the same experience at Santangelo's (that's the Old Liverpool Road restaurant with the grapes on the sign, right?). It was southern Italian slop, for better or worse. Totally fine, liked my meal well enough, but I wouldn't go back when there are all those Francesca's type of options in the area.

I've been there but it was at least 3 years ago. Atmosphere is nice, quite a few wannabee high rollers at the bar. Food was okay but not memorable enough for me to go back. Francesca's would be my go to place on Salina with Asti coming in 2nd

Edit: sorry I've been to the Attillios on Salina St. if you didn't already guess that. Haven't tried the James St. place yet

Haha, this. But I think it goes for all the restaurants on those blocks.

I take it you’ve never had a piece of Rosalie’s braciole or Francesca’s Veal Saltimbocca melt in your mouth?

That’s like saying “I don’t like Asian, it’s pork fried rice and fortune cookies”

Had the braciole on Friday.

Go to Avicollis and start with their beans and greens (has sausage in it too). Then order your salad with Italian and crumbly blue and have a couple rolls dipped in their oils and spices. Then order the chicken riggies with red or pink sauce (I prefer red). Then tell me you didn’t go to heaven.
riggies are great - never had it until a couple years ago , i'm told perlos in rochester gets close to the real deal

Sad that Syracuse restaurant game is so unbelievably weak. I can name 10 restaurants off the top of my head in Buffalo I love... I struggle to find one in Syracuse.
Buffalo couldn't hold Syracuse's jock strap in terms of restaurants. You must be high.

um...not even top 5 for italian food. Always recommended by people who don't know much though.
I think its slightly overrated by women but its definitely pretty good. Im hard pressed to name 5 italian restaurants in the area that are consistently better. Swallowing my pride here

Buffalo couldn't hold Syracuse's jock strap in terms of restaurants. You must be high.
Buffalo has much better diners though

I think its slightly overrated by women but its definitely pretty good. Im hard pressed to name 5 italian restaurants in the area that are consistently better. Swallowing my pride here
Im not saying it isn't good, its just not top 5.

Capt Tuttles take on Italian food is obviously one of the most wrong things ever said on the internet but it did make me think of the final scene in Goodfellas when Henry Hill is in Witness Protection and he complains about getting "noodles and ketchup" when he orders marinara.

It was awesome on North Salina. Haven't been to the new location.

I had the same experience at Santangelo's (that's the Old Liverpool Road restaurant with the grapes on the sign, right?). It was southern Italian slop, for better or worse. Totally fine, liked my meal well enough, but I wouldn't go back when there are all those Francesca's type of options in the area.

I had the best chicken parm I ever ate on Tuesday night at Santangelo’s. We were at a retiree party with quite a few people, so we could only choose from a limited menu. The parm and another dish were the only ones that caught my interest. In hindsight, my choice was great. Can’t wait to get it again.

Possibly, in fairness i haven't frequented the diners in buffalo.
Sophias and Lake Effect Diner are each great. The Greek influence in Buffalo is everywhere

Sophias and Lake Effect Diner are each great. The Greek influence in Buffalo is everywhere
I actually have done lake effect i believe. Remember it being fantastic