Okay the Tampa 2 doesn't work but neither does the Shafer D | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Okay the Tampa 2 doesn't work but neither does the Shafer D

Fellas, its ok to bash the D. bashing the D is not bashing Dino or saying dino might not stay. just saying this scheme is experimental at the p5 level . it worked for dino and ward in the minors, in a conference that was 100 yds of basketball scoring , different ballgame now.

The MAC is much different than you think it is.

No one says his offense won't here because it is obvious it will. But people feel the need to knock Shafer in an attempt to defend Babers. It's ridiculous.

True. while i was a huge Shafer guy , i get it and live dino and what he brings to the table . i wish him all the luck , hope he is out savior that said, imagine a Shafer style defense with this offensive prowess ???? wow !

Its not talent basically same defense last year never got lit up like this.

Disagree we do not have the talent to run this defense yet. Is it the best defense no, but we haven't had long to get talent for it either.

Disagree we do not have the talent to run this defense yet. Is it the best defense no, but we haven't had long to get talent for it either.

Again , unless we have an nfl dline and corners , ultimately , it won't work .

We will have a long wait. football today is about attacking. We do that in spades on offense. Love what we are doing on that side of the ball. But many of us said before we played a game that we couldn't play Tampa 2 and be successful. And lo and behold, we set a school record for pts and yards allowed. Now, in fairness, we have never played the type of offensive teams in one year that we did this year. The thing is, we weren't competitive at all. That is the point. Teams just scored almost at will against us. Almost with no effort on their part. That isn't just personal. Often, it isn't the x and o's, it's the jimmies and the joes. But you have to have the right x and o's too.

Again , i love dino, but shafer gave up 17 to that same offense last year . i didnt want to go there , you did.

Not the same offense. No Connor, completely different OC.

Canada was the OC at NC State. How'd Shafer do down there last year?

Again , unless we have an nfl dline and corners , ultimately , it won't work .

Not true. We need bigger corners and faster DL vs most of our competition.

Shafer needed NFL corners.

I'm not advocating this defense just saying it requires a different kind of player than what we have on the roster ATM. If we change defenses/coordinators that's on Babers. If we keep this D then small corners and safeties won't cut it, and won't be seeing them after 1 recruiting class.

???? Are you saying that the MAC is close to being on par with the ACC?

No. But BG played its peer schools just fine. I was arguing that it's not a "basketball score league"... they play D in the MAC relative to their talent.

We will have a long wait. football today is about attacking. We do that in spades on offense. Love what we are doing on that side of the ball. But many of us said before we played a game that we couldn't play Tampa 2 and be successful. And lo and behold, we set a school record for pts and yards allowed. Now, in fairness, we have never played the type of offensive teams in one year that we did this year. The thing is, we weren't competitive at all. That is the point. Teams just scored almost at will against us. Almost with no effort on their part. That isn't just personal. Often, it isn't the x and o's, it's the jimmies and the joes. But you have to have the right x and o's too.

We were competitive today. Just needed a couple more stops.

Not the same offense. No Connor, completely different OC.

Canada was the OC at NC State. How'd Shafer do down there last year?
I really don't get the Shafer talk. We aren't really debating that he was a good d coordinator, are we? And we aren't really debating that this defense was an embarrassment this year, are we?

No. But BG played its peer schools just fine. I was arguing that it's not a "basketball score league"... they play D in the MAC relative to their talent.
I'm sure that is true. But their peer schools didn't have and will never have the fire power of the schools we play on a regular basis. That is the problem. We need better players and that will help no matter what scheme we use. But this scheme will never work here.

The Shafer talk is to make the point his hiring was a mistake and is the root of our current problems. This D sucked this year. I knew it was going suck. It sucked last year as well.

2014-2015 set the program back 4 years. This is year one of those 4 years.

The Shafer talk is to make the point his hiring was a mistake and is the root of our current problems. This D sucked this year. I knew it was going suck. It sucked last year as well.

2014-2015 set the program back 4 years. This is year one of those 4 years.
you put much too much blame on Shafer. His first year certainly didn't set the program back. We went to a bowl game and actually won it. The next two years were not good. But he did so something that the previous coach couldn't do and that is bring in a qb that can play at this level. And SS never gave up pts and yards like this years team. Never. Never. Our defense was an utter embarrassment this year. No way to spin it otherwise.

you put much too much blame on Shafer. His first year certainly didn't set the program back. We went to a bowl game and actually won it. The next two years were not good. But he did so something that the previous coach couldn't do and that is bring in a qb that can play at this level. And SS never gave up pts and yards like this years team. Never. Never. Our defense was an utter embarrassment this year. No way to spin it otherwise.
Defense was terrible last year. If it wasn't for the super slow offense and the game plan to slow it down that defense would have given up a ton of points. Last year was miserable, I rarely could finish watching games. This year I've been 1. At the game or 2. Eyes glued to the TV.

Defense was terrible last year. If it wasn't for the super slow offense and the game plan to slow it down that defense would have given up a ton of points. Last year was miserable, I rarely could finish watching games. This year I've been 1. At the game or 2. Eyes glued to the TV.
I agree that it was a lot more entertaining this year. But no closer to victory.

I'm sure that is true. But their peer schools didn't have and will never have the fire power of the schools we play on a regular basis. That is the problem. We need better players and that will help no matter what scheme we use. But this scheme will never work here.

Sigh. It's all relative. Of course we need better recruits to play the teams we play every year. That doesn't say anything about the system we run.

I'll say it again: this system is built to play with a lead. It assumes the offense will score a lot. We're also starting backups and true freshman all over the field. It may not work here - but definitive? No. This was the first time our O really exploded points-wise. In the last quarter of the last game.

Side note:
Isn't Narduzzi known as a D coach who plays an attacking style? Don't they have better recruits? How did they give up 61? Isn't that worse?

Yes it will. In fact, we've seen flashes of it working here.

Sigh. It's all relative. Of course we need better recruits to play the teams we play every year. That doesn't say anything about the system we run.

I'll say it again: this system is built to play with a lead. It assumes the offense will score a lot. We're also starting backups and true freshman all over the field. It may not work here - but definitive? No. This was the first time our O really exploded points-wise. In the last quarter of the last game.

Side note:
Isn't Narduzzi known as a D coach who plays an attacking style? Don't they have better recruits? How did they give up 61? Isn't that worse?
Who cares about Narduzzi? I don't watch them game after game. I know they won 8 games. I know they beat Clemson at Clemson. Sign me up.

I was at the game today. No one scheme would have really helped, unfortunately.

76 points is an epic failure - I get that. The biggest issue we have is on DL and at the safety position. We had to rely on too many freshman on the DL, especially on the edges. The really struggled at the point of attack today and we pushed around a lot.

The holes they had to run through were enormous - something you see at a high school level. Much to money's point, there were a few missteps out there with regards to alignment, but the bigger issue was plain size and strength.

Williams and Ellison really played poorly today. As solid as Ellison is in run support, he is as abysmal at identifying routes and concepts in the pass game. There were several busted coverages that Peterman never saw, although it didn't matter.

I'm not sure Williams is a P5 starter. At least he shouldn't be starting this early in his career. Tough kid, but his lack of foot speed was apparent when Peterman ran by him for a TD late in the game. That absolutely cannot happen at this level of football.

We must find a couple of players next year from the JUCO ranks to shore up those positions. It's a glaring weakness right now. We are just so small it's shocking. Even Bennett is undersized.

That all being said, I like what I see from Black and Coleman. They just are playing too early. I am also a huge Armstrong fan. The young man is pretty talented, just needs time in the weight room.

Remember Shafers defense had bigger corners and backers. Merkerson was good size, even Kevyn Scott was 210. Throw in linebackers like Hogue, Spruill, and Smith. Also had Chandler Jones too...

I loved Shafer's defense. But part of the reason we are in this mess is his. The recruits just kept getting smaller. Jonathan Thomas looks like a wideout out there.

I really don't get the Shafer talk. We aren't really debating that he was a good d coordinator, are we? And we aren't really debating that this defense was an embarrassment this year, are we?

Unfortunately , yes, we are and its comical. thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom