Class of 2021 - OL Da'Metrius Weatherspoon (PA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/3/24) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OL Da'Metrius Weatherspoon (PA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/3/24)

Yep, nice problem to have. It will be interesting to see how he performs against our DL in the spring.

To your point -- having him HERE for spring practice will go a long way toward accelerating his readiness for fall, and getting him acclimated to the P5 level.

Level of comp is of concern [as you've pointed out], but it isn't the sole determinant of ability. Every year, the NFL drafts dozens of FCS / lower division players. If you can play, you can play.

Hope this kid's size / experience translate. Would be nice to have an OL that is a net positive for once instead of a liability. Miller / Weatherspoon will go a long way toward helping us get there.

Here come the road graders

1704310895699.gif

Let’s go!!!

We need as many talented offensive linemen as possible and have the cream rise to the top. I’m betting we see Da’Metrius play a lot this next year. Big rise in competition level but all he could do is play better than those he was up against, and he did so consistently.

Sorry to be that guy but it's Howard. We'll have to wait and see how spring ball goes. I love just adding more competition to the room though and he's a big human. His arms are cut. You don't see too many 335lb dudes who's arms look like that. Hopefully he can move and play at this level.

I have nightmare of the kid from south alabama.

Last edited:
Sorry to be that guy but it's Howard. We'll have to wait and see how spring ball goes. I love just adding more competition to the room though and he's a big human. His arms are cut. You don't see too many 335 dudes who's arms look like that. Hopefully he can move and play at this level.

Agree. Part of me is having Ryan Alexander flashbacks with the step up to another level. But I have more confidence in this staff's ability to identify talent and as you said, at least it's legitimate competition with the size to play at this level.

Sorry to be that guy but it's Howard. We'll have to wait and see how spring ball goes. I love just adding more competition to the room though and he's a big human. His arms are cut. You don't see too many 335 dudes who's arms look like that. Hopefully he can move and play at this level.

I think we all share the same concerns about the level of competition he faced at Howard.

If anything, he is quality depth for the program. We know the story all too well of what happens when starters go down.

Syracuse hasn’t had quality depth across the roster since the mid 90’s.

Wonder if the athleticism translates to RT [his main position at Howard], or if he projects to shift inside to RG.

Either way, much needed reinforcement to the OL.
I read that he played a bit at LT as well.

Not gonna lie. This roster is filling out quite nicely. Give me the OL from Princeton, Barnes at CB, then one more CB and then one more DT (looking at you Raikes). Then we are full throttle. Might be the most talented and deepest roster we’ve had in 20 years. Not really close either

Sorry to be that guy but it's Howard. We'll have to wait and see how spring ball goes. I love just adding more competition to the room though and he's a big human. His arms are cut. You don't see too many 335lb dudes who's arms look like that. Hopefully he can move and play at this level.

...and he's not wearing knee braces either.

Level of comp is definitely a concern. Hear you there.

But you look at this kid at 335 LB and you look at Ellis when he was even down around 340-350 - this kid clearly has a ton of upper body strength at that weight and isn't carrying a ton of bad weight. He certainly passes the look test and he was a HBC All American, so at least he did excel at the lower comp level he was at.

To your point -- having him HERE for spring practice will go a long way toward accelerating his readiness for fall, and getting him acclimated to the P5 level.

Level of comp is of concern [as you've pointed out], but it isn't the sole determinant of ability. Every year, the NFL drafts dozens of FCS / lower division players. If you can play, you can play.

Hope this kid's size / experience translate. Would be nice to have an OL that is a net positive for once instead of a liability. Miller / Weatherspoon will go a long way toward helping us get there.
Great point. If you can play the NFL will find you. Hopefully this kid continues progressing and works hard. The opportunity is his for the taking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom