OL Struggles | Syracusefan.com

OL Struggles

smartman

2nd String
Curious where the breakdown is. Servais and Adams are both returning starters and good performers. Davis has gotten a bit of run in the past. Alexander is new to the system and Vetterello is young (with a good future ahead). Is the breakdown cohesion or talent?

I’m really curious if there is anyone to help address the latter. It sounds like Bergeron gets a lot of love here and have read good things about others (Red, Tisdale, Froumy?). What happened to Quadir White?

Here is hoping getting Heckel back and some time to click helps. Go Orange!

consistency is the main issue.. it felt like every time HC ran a blitz stunt they got confused. yet even when the rushed 4 we barely create time.. It wouldnt be so bad of they were run blocking well but thats an issue too.

how many times did we drop back and all 5 guys were solid so tommy could stand and look? eVery pocket felt like 2.5 sec was the max before it broke down.

When Steven was breaking down the tape for the Syracuse game, he told me that the assessment of the OL was that they play "confused" and a bit slow. Not sure if he meant that because they're confused, they play slow, or that their being slow makes them look confused.

Watching the OL consistently struggle over the first 5 games, and knowing that Liberty and Holy Cross (yikes) were two of those teams...

Consistency, needing time/experience to click, mistakes, missed assignments, playing out of position because of the loss of one player are all factors. But, it sure looks like talent is also a major issue. 3rd and 2 inside power run over your 2 best OL and you loose a yard to HC?

Getting Heckel back will help. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shake up in the 2 deep coming out of the bye.

So is it talent, coaching or scheme? all 3? Parts of all 3?

Probably talent. And not necessarily "physical" talent. The OL doesn't seem to do a very good job at picking up defensive changes at the line of scrimmage.

I have no clue, but are the RBs doing a good job calling out the blocking responsibilities?

Servais is 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on almost every play. It's a huge issue.

Agree. He’s not big enough to take on a NG or DT. He was fine last year but he was heavier.

Adams has disappointed too. One play against Western Michigan he was blown up which led to a sack.

When Steven was breaking down the tape for the Syracuse game, he told me that the assessment of the OL was that they play "confused" and a bit slow. Not sure if he meant that because they're confused, they play slow, or that their being slow makes them look confused.
He ain’t lying. On top of the fact that we are relatively light at 3 spots. I thought Davis was gonna give us more in run game with his size. We also lack pure aggression on traps and or kick outs. Watch any good oline on trap they move people. Doesn’t help we trap a gaps all day and as Ur kid would know the more we try to run it the easier it is for dline an to read it. Why most teams run all gaps and not just a.

I have no clue, but are the RBs doing a good job calling out the blocking responsibilities?
I don't know.

I do know that Strickland, when he played, was the one who called out the blocking assignments. Not sure who does that now. Maybe the RB isn't responsible for that now. Maybe, like most other teams, it's the center.

I know he prepped for tackle but still figured with servais at center that would have been an upgrade. Along with Evans (multi year starter) and Davis (road grader type) that we can’t get any push against much lesser opponents. Pass protection is a bit understandable with the tackles so new...lack of pushnis puzzling.

I don't know.

I do know that Strickland, when he played, was the one who called out the blocking assignments. Not sure who does that now. Maybe the RB isn't responsible for that now. Maybe, like most other teams, it's the center.

It’s still the RBs. Even Jordan when he came in near the end walk up to the LOS and was barking out something, which I assume was the blocking assignments.

Servais is 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on almost every play. It's a huge issue.

Yep. If you watch as well he was beaten by speed as well several times vs HC. If being lighter is to make you faster, then that should never happen vs a team like that. Both he and Adams struggled with stunts badly. Even as a whole, you have one guy blocking space quite often while two guys are chasing Tommy.

Watching the OL consistently struggle over the first 5 games, and knowing that Liberty and Holy Cross (yikes) were two of those teams...

Consistency, needing time/experience to click, mistakes, missed assignments, playing out of position because of the loss of one player are all factors. But, it sure looks like talent is also a major issue.
Almost every team has to replace guys on the OL every year. Guys graduate-that's the way it works. Injuries also happen-we've only had 1 so far this year-that's not crazy.
The staff needs to figure out why it generally takes us at least half a year to be able to run the ball on anyone every single year. The OL has rarely been good in the last 3 years. At its best, it's been average and the threat of Dungey also helped slow down the pass rush.

Yep. If you watch as well he was beaten by speed as well several times vs HC. If being lighter is to make you faster, then that should never happen vs a team like that. Both he and Adams struggled with stunts badly. Even as a whole, you have one guy blocking space quite often while two guys are chasing Tommy.

Unfortunate considering they should be our two best. Any talent to get excited about even a couple years down the road? Concerned that the line is fairly experienced

Unfortunate considering they should be our two best. Any talent to get excited about even a couple years down the road? Concerned that the line is fairly experienced

There have been some other posts on this, a lot actually. The most obvious was Bergeron.

Agree. He’s not big enough to take on a NG or DT. He was fine last year but he was heavier.
He is too light. Doesn't get any push.

I haven’t noticed a difference in assignments being missed from one RB to the next, the problem seems to be pretty uniform from one series to the next.

I have a tough time believing it’s the physicality and strength training when that otherwise seems to be something our team/coaches do well.

So far for me the most plausible explanations are confusion & miscommunication. Maybe between Tommy and the wide receivers as well leading to a need for holding the pocket longer. In that realm play calling could help or hurt us but I could see where we need to run our offense and just keep working on our weaknesses.

Probably minor but does Tommy ever roll or even scramble to his left?

they act like they never have seen a stunt.. but then they almost every speed rush wins that battle too.

even the double team blocks are failing at times.

Probably minor but does Tommy ever roll or even scramble to his left?

That's not minor at all. Tendencies are heavily studied. If you pin the pocket to his right, he's going to panic and take the sack. Huge issue.

Related but not really -- this is one of the issues I have with our play calling. If I can tell you what play is coming, the defensive players who have studied and practiced all week should probably be able to, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom