OL Struggles | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OL Struggles

Rewatched the condensed game so only snippets.

1. We keep a TE and a RB in for pass protection WAY TOO MUCH. HC would drop 8 and rush 3, so we had 3 receivers down field against 8 defenders. That’s why we are seeing TD sit in the pocket and have no where to go. It starts with not being able to just use our OL to protect so we are pulling extra help in. Hurts our spread game.

2. Servais is not built for center. He is struggling in there. Heckle NEEDS to come back. Servais is light so he can play tackle and shadow the ends - not line up against a Chris slayton type player. (Not that HC has one of those even)

3. Confusion. We too often are double teaming allow an open defender to come in practically untouched and he is moving devito out of the pocket. Other teams are going to see this and bring pressure on pressure then drop back into just a 3 man rush on passing downs.

4. Our running plays just are a hair off. We have good line pulls and movement, but it seems like one person is shedding their block to make an 7 yard run into a 2 yard run. We are not finishing blocks and driving defenders back. It’s terrifying because that’s simply just physicality and if you can’t do that against HC ... I’m worried.

Side note: I do know we condition our linemen more hardcore then probably 99% of programs. In term I feel like we are built for stamina and not power. I feel like we are not big roadgrader type line. Watch UNCs line for example last week (a team comparable to us talent wise) and look how massive their OL were. So that being said everything needs to click on this system for the line to also succeed. Teams need to be on their heels and all year they haven’t. When they are it allows us to move quickly and get a step ahead with our blocks IMO. But, when we are lining straight up and trying to run it down your throat ... we just can’t effectively. Let’s hope they turn it around we need them!
Excellent post. Are advantage is speed its why Dino picks light OL guys who can move. Think old Broncos. So when we have to slow down we are at an disadvantage. Its also why we struggle in the red zone and have to go heavy. Im personally a fan of quick tackles and massive guards and centers. Its too bad Duerig is injured as i thought he was solid at center.

Your point 1. They were working on things once they got up, like only putting 3 in the pattern That is not what they done historically just like all throws in the middle. They were working on new looks to the offense
I can understand that point. But, maybe work on new looks that actually make sense. That’s all I’m asking! (Don’t hate me for the BBall reference it’s just my main sport)

So in b-ball let’s say your up big and the other team is play an aggressive 3-2 zone getting way up into your teams 3 point shooters. Are you still going to try and run plays for a 3 point attempt? No, you work on ball movement and post touches to collapse the over aggressive defenders.

I don’t care who we are playing or how much we are winning. If we want to try new looks let’s do new looks based on what the defense is giving us.

I think what bcubs9497 posted earlier says it all. His post was going off of film study, not my amateur eyes. They are playing confused with the zone blocking scheme and not communicating. I hope this is a silver lining as its not necessarily the talent and hopefully they can gel as we are in weeks 4-6.

Offensive lines take a long time to gel. It’s a chemistry thing. I was speaking with a former nfl lineman the other day. He talked about the importance of the oline room and everyone being on the same page. That takes time. It’s not a position you can just insert right away. The guys we have im sure have talent but they’re relatively new to one another. It’ll take time and I suspect it improves in the upcoming weeks.
Lines taking time to gel can't be an excuse. If it is, we should expect troubles the first part of every season. There will be turnover every year. The only guy that is playing that has not been through a spring and more than one preseason practice is Alexander.

Lines taking time to gel can't be an excuse. If it is, we should expect troubles the first part of every season. There will be turnover every year. The only guy that is playing that has not been through a spring and more than one preseason practice is Alexander.

This is a bit unfair. Most teams replacing 3 OL (both OT) are going to take longer to gel than 1. Plus, it's entirely possible to not have turnover every year.

Should they be better? I think so. But to expect them to be perfect out of the gate is crazy sauce too.

This is a bit unfair. Most teams replacing 3 OL (both OT) are going to take longer to gel than 1. Plus, it's entirely possible to not have turnover every year.

Should they be better? I think so. But to expect them to be perfect out of the gate is crazy sauce too.
Where did I say they need to be perfect? Game 5 is way past the gait, it's almost halfway through the season. They should be better, which is the whole point of this thread.

I can understand that point. But, maybe work on new looks that actually make sense. That’s all I’m asking! (Don’t hate me for the BBall reference it’s just my main sport)

So in b-ball let’s say your up big and the other team is play an aggressive 3-2 zone getting way up into your teams 3 point shooters. Are you still going to try and run plays for a 3 point attempt? No, you work on ball movement and post touches to collapse the over aggressive defenders.

I don’t care who we are playing or how much we are winning. If we want to try new looks let’s do new looks based on what the defense is giving us.

If they keep having protection problems that is something they are going to need to do.

He has no loyalty to Cavanaugh like his other coaches, the guy wasn't on his staff anywhere else before.
Two things bother me most: no push at all in the run game against barely there Schools. I mean HC was dropping 7-8 guys and we couldn’t run that?

Complete lack of ability to pass block standard shifts and stunts. We’re getting pressure from defenses base 3 or 4 DLs.

This two things are unacceptable. I love the offseason S&C stuff but we look like a bunch of slow plodding dudes right now.

Servais is 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on almost every play. It's a huge issue.
I've said this a few times, he looks like a DE or a TE. Not a center. Losing weight is great for conditioning but you still need to be able to do your main job which is to block big men.

We were supposed to have a line anchored by 4 star recruits Tyrone Sampson and Quadir White. Two years alter White can't make the 2-deep here and Sampson hasn't played a game for Fresno State this year:

Excellent post. Are advantage is speed its why Dino picks light OL guys who can move. Think old Broncos. So when we have to slow down we are at an disadvantage. Its also why we struggle in the red zone and have to go heavy. Im personally a fan of quick tackles and massive guards and centers. Its too bad Duerig is injured as i thought he was solid at center.

Evan Adams is 6-6 352. Dakota Davis is 6-5 327. Pat Davis is 6-5 317. Matt Bergeron is 6-4 311. Ryan Alexander is 6-3 307.

We were supposed to have a line anchored by 4 star recruits Tyrone Sampson and Quadir White. Two years alter White can't make the 2-deep here and Sampson hasn't played a game for Fresno State this year:

With respect to White he's a redshirt freshman.

The OL issues are befuddling to me. I could not believe my eyes watching the HC defense get pressure. That is completely unacceptable. The lack of talent and cohesiveness is honestly alarming.

Over the next 10 days, I'm hoping these kids/coaches can really focus on gelling and becoming more comfortable in their spots. Looking at Heckel on the sidelines, he doesn't seem like he's ready to come back. Could be wrong on that, but he just doesn't seem ready. Every position along the line has been blown up at times this year. Servais is susceptible to the bull-rush and the tackles get blown by against equal talent. Servais, Davis & Adams needs to hold their ground so Tommy can step into the pocket. We all saw what he can do when he steps into the pocket and gets his feet set on his throws. On the money.

Dino has a challenge in front of him. I don't disagree re: Cavanaugh's OL underwhelming abilities.

The OL issues are befuddling to me. I could not believe my eyes watching the HC defense get pressure. That is completely unacceptable. The lack of talent and cohesiveness is honestly alarming.

Over the next 10 days, I'm hoping these kids/coaches can really focus on gelling and becoming more comfortable in their spots. Looking at Heckel on the sidelines, he doesn't seem like he's ready to come back. Could be wrong on that, but he just doesn't seem ready. Every position along the line has been blown up at times this year. Servais is susceptible to the bull-rush and the tackles get blown by against equal talent. Servais, Davis & Adams needs to hold their ground so Tommy can step into the pocket. We all saw what he can do when he steps into the pocket and gets his feet set on his throws. On the money.

Dino has a challenge in front of him. I don't disagree re: Cavanaugh's OL underwhelming abilities.
Agree on Heck, he was on sideline but I got the impression he would not be back anytime soon.

Pat Davis played a large role in the 4Q at right tackle. I don't know if Alexander was injured or winded, so I began wondering if he's currently competing for that spot when the team returns after the bye.

Was watching the ACCN this am and it was the topic of conversation. Not just SU but right now outside of Clemson, maybe Wake and BC everyone in conference has major Oline issues.

Honestly was intrigued/concerned when we learned how much weight servais lost going into this year. It clearly had to be a play for him to be LT. so we can’t put him back there? We need to find someone else to play center.

Where did I say they need to be perfect? Game 5 is way past the gait, it's almost halfway through the season. They should be better, which is the whole point of this thread.

I was speaking to the idea that they wouldn’t need time to gel. If you expected better out of the gate, then ok, I guess.

Dino himself said that it was going to take a while to sort itself out. I don’t think that’s the case every year. Sometimes you know what you’re going to be at a position sometimes you don’t.

I agee that I would like them to be further along. Best we can do is hope they show signs after the bye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom