Class of 2018 - OLB Ja'qurius (Jack) Smith (FL) Decommitted from Syracuse/To Purdue | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OLB Ja'qurius (Jack) Smith (FL) Decommitted from Syracuse/To Purdue

For some, it's just another feather in their cap. A way to possibly get that 4th, or 5th, star.
People complain if our recruits don't get the big-time offers, and then complain if the players are waiting to get them. If we want to get back to the top, we need to get recruits who chose us over these schools like Steven did.

This is what kills me, why you do commit unless you are 100% sure you want to go to that school. I think it's a slap in the face to the school you were coming to initially.

And if I was Babers, I would drop him. But, I'm not Babers.

It's all about click bait for these writers, they know how to pull all the information out and spin it into a headline that makes you want to click the link. Everyone has a dream school they want to go to, but it usually doesn't work out so sure if his dream school comes knocking he will go and you can't blame a kid for following his dream.

I really don't get the over reaction. He basically said if there was 1 school who would make him change his mind...and it's Florida (from a Fla kid). So we don't accept his commitment because if he gets an offer from a specific school he would jump?? I am fine with it. This kids a stud. With that said these coaches are going to be extremely busy this cycle. We have some high level prospects that are only going to get more and more offers come camp season (Smith, Trill, Wallace). Compare these guys to the early commits of the previous years. I will take this situation of having to fight off elite competition every single time...or we can go back to accepting early commits who later end up transferring to DII or NAIA.

I don't see this kid being another Cabinda, even at that I have no ill will to Jason.

Holds a spot. You would do it too in that situation.

Holds a spot? That's why vaca rentals require a non-refundable deposit. Cant go telling everyone yes. Its also like shopping for shoes and buying the first pair, first store, KNOWING you are gonna continue shopping. Thus, this kid knew he was gonna continue shopping ...and could always return the shoes. The way to do it is, shop, price compare, and make your decision on your way outta Destiny , aka in Feb before signing day.

Holds a spot? That's why vaca rentals require a non-refundable deposit. Cant go telling everyone yes. Its also like shopping for shoes and buying the first pair, first store, KNOWING you are gonna continue shopping. Thus, this kid knew he was gonna continue shopping ...and could always return the shoes. The way to do it is, shop, price compare, and make your decision on your way outta Destiny , aka in Feb before signing day.
if the first shoe store only had a couple of shoes to sell and were willing to sell you one that you really really liked, you'd be a fool not to jump on it, even if you were going to keep shopping.

All the lame analogies in the world won't change the basic fact - this is one of those don't hate the player, hate the game kind of situations. The way the system is set up, verbal commitments aren't binding on either side and both sides at different points use that to their advantage. Simply because your loyalty lies with a particular school instead of a particular player doesn't mean you get to heap scorn on otherwise rational thought process by the player.

How would you like to be this kid? Kids are going to do what they do as long as programs pull this kind of junk.

How would you like to be this kid? Kids are going to do what they do as long as programs pull this kind of junk.
Has to be something else going on there.

The whole thing might have been a mutual thing between the coaching staff and JJ Smith?

He could have told them that ya, he'll commit, but if Florida comes along he'll seriously consider their offer.

I love the people who were (likely) never recruited by high level D-1 schools blasting kids on how they are treating their own recruitments.
Some kids have a hard time saying no.
Some kids get buyer's remorse.
Some kids will be very mercenary about it.
Some kids will want to drag it out so others ask them about it.
Some will change their minds. It happens.
Some kids are 100% committed, until another opportunity comes up which they don't feel they can pass up.

I am sure many folks on here are divorced, and that's a far more serious commitment that has gone by the wayside than where an 18 year old will play football.

Last edited:
If you're in the savage business of flying the friendly skys, the only way to make a buck is to massively overbook.

I caught a bit of a local (Orlando) recruiting program on cable, the experts were 100% sold that he will not stick with SU, dumbfounded that he had verballed.
Its up to our staff to stay on this kid and convince him how much he would mean to the team and his education... I have the faith in this staff to do that.

If you're in the savage business of flying the friendly skys, the only way to make a buck is to massively overbook.
Hopefully the coaches are following the same policy.

if the first shoe store only had a couple of shoes to sell and were willing to sell you one that you really really liked, you'd be a fool not to jump on it, even if you were going to keep shopping.

All the lame analogies in the world won't change the basic fact - this is one of those don't hate the player, hate the game kind of situations. The way the system is set up, verbal commitments aren't binding on either side and both sides at different points use that to their advantage. Simply because your loyalty lies with a particular school instead of a particular player doesn't mean you get to heap scorn on otherwise rational thought process by the player.

Yup, i get it, my frustration isnt JUST from the perspective of a cuse fan, its from the perspective of all fans if NCAA teams.

Things with Jack seems to be cooling off. Do we think we can hang on here? I know there is still a very long way to go.

Things with Jack seems to be cooling off. Do we think we can hang on here? I know there is still a very long way to go.

How do? What happened?

I've seen nothing to cause concern.

He's solidly committed currently. Not quite sure where this doubt has come from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom