Class of 2014 - OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited" | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OLB Jason Cabinda (NJ) Offered "beyond excited"

Pretty clear that we really want him at SU and Penn State doesn't think he was their best option. I know what I would do.

Spot on I know I would be using this if I was his recruiter at SU. Unfortunately he always seemed to be PSU's next offer if they had their full allotment of scholarships, and have stayed in touch some.

Just think a year ago Marrone made a point not to try and poach PSU players when their sanctions came down. I know what I would have done.

Knew that was coming. Now let's see what he does with it. I wonder if he gains a "star" due to this offer.

So thrilled we took the high road with the Penn State transfers now.

I wish nothing but the worst for Bill O'Brien and his program going forward.

be surprised if he makes it to December ...

those scum bags

I wonder if O'Brien offers Cabinda if he was committed here and Marrone was still here? I'm not happy about this either but he doesn't really owe Shafer anything. Let's see how this staff handles this and if they are able to keep Cabinda committed.

I wonder if O'Brien offers Cabinda if he was committed here and Marrone was still here? I'm not happy about this either but he doesn't really owe Shafer anything. Let's see how this staff handles this and if they are able to keep Cabinda committed.

I agree he doesn't owe Shafer anything but it's dirty pool at best. The chair Marrone sat in is barely cold and he's already targeting our committed recruits. And Bill OBrien was very public about his dislike of other programs coming after his players, Marrone and Syracuse were one of the most vocal in support of him. Guess he had a very short memory.

ut oh
Jason Cabinda ‏@jasoncabinda Protected account23m
Just got off the phone with coach O'Brien... Penn state has offered

This tweet makes it clear that Cabinda is definitely listening to their pitch. He hasn't shut down his recruitment. That's not good. I believe that those five additional scholarships that PSU gets are for next year, not this year. But the numbers must have been worked out somehow for PSU if O'Brien is extending an offer to our guy.

No need to panic yet. He's still a commit. I'd like to see the coaches get him up for Clemson, though.

In general, I worry less about LBs and RBs. There are more good ones out there at these positions than there are at others. Over the years, I rarely remember our season being derailed by poor running back play or poor linebacker play. We've had some problem spots at those positions over the years (Dumas, Mele, and Flaherty earlier this decade come to mind at LB and even in our worst years, it seems like we've had good tailbacks), but usually when a team goes south it's because of horrendous line play or QB play or defensive backfield play (I still have nightmares of O'Neil Scott getting beat deep).

I always find this funny. I get why people are upset but this stuff happens all the time. Didn't hear any complaints when we were trying to flip guys after Marrone bailed last year. Or that we are trying to flip the Ipwa State kid now.

Or the fact we offer kids after they've committed elsewhere. How is this different than if Cabinda had LSU call him last night? It's still our job to keep him in house, and hopefully the staff and Zaire can do just that.

I always find this funny. I get why people are upset but this stuff happens all the time. Didn't hear any complaints when we were trying to flip guys after Marrone bailed last year. Or that we are trying to flip the Ipwa State kid now.

Or the fact we offer kids after they've committed elsewhere. How is this different than if Cabinda had LSU call him last night? It's still our job to keep him in hose, and hopefully the staff and Zaire can do just that.

You didn't see people crying that Miami, FSU, Tennessee, TCU, etc were scummy when they flipped some of our commits last year after the coaching change. People were pissed that we lost some talented prospects but I don't remember the disgust towards the programs we lost them to.

The circumstances specific to O'Brien are a little different and if you choose not to see that, then that's your prerogative. I'm not surprised to be honest and I'm more irritated at Marrone for taking the high road on the PSU transfers available last year when there were players available that could have helped thr program.

You didn't see people crying that Miami, FSU, Tennessee, TCU, etc were scummy when they flipped some of our commits last year after the coaching change. People were pissed that we lost some talented prospects but I don't remember the disgust towards the programs we lost them to.

The circumstances specific to O'Brien are a little different and if you choose not to see that, then that's your prerogative. I'm not surprised to be honest and I'm more irritated at Marrone for taking the high road on the PSU transfers available last year when there were players available that could have helped thr program.
Transfers and recruits are completely different.

This tweet makes it clear that Cabinda is definitely listening to their pitch. He hasn't shut down his recruitment. That's not good. I believe that those five additional scholarships that PSU gets are for next year, not this year. But the numbers must have been worked out somehow for PSU if O'Brien is extending an offer to our guy.

No need to panic yet. He's still a commit. I'd like to see the coaches get him up for Clemson, though.

In general, I worry less about LBs and RBs. There are more good ones out there at these positions than there are at others. Over the years, I rarely remember our season being derailed by poor running back play or poor linebacker play. We've had some problem spots at those positions over the years (Dumas, Mele, and Flaherty earlier this decade come to mind at LB and even in our worst years, it seems like we've had good tailbacks), but usually when a team goes south it's because of horrendous line play or QB play or defensive backfield play (I still have nightmares of O'Neil Scott getting beat deep).

they get their scholarships this year.

looks like he is visiting Ped St Oct 12th for the Michigan game. Hopefully he can make it up for Clemson this week so the image of the Dome for the Wagner game isn't ingrained in his head because I am sure Happy Valley will be rocking for Michigan.

I totally understand this is the business, if we ever are going to get back to a highly respectable program these are going to be the type of battles we have to win. PSU has a lot working for them though.

In recruiting taking the high road is for idiots. It comes back to bite you. Marrone was a fool for taking the high road.

Agreed 150%

Last edited by a moderator:
Transfers and recruits are completely different.

Under normal circumstances yes. When the NCAA says all of your players can transfer without penalty and other programs are allowed to recruit against you for them, they're really not.

In recruiting taking the high road is for idiots. It comes back to bite you. Marrone was a fool for taking the high road.

So freaking true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we gained any advantages as a result of the sanctions.

not a 1. they lucked out with a great hire who happened to be Bff's with our HC at the time

Of course the circumstances are different, that said this hatred is kind of hilarious. If PSU didn't get 5 additional schollys, and instead had one of their originals left, and just now chose to offer it to Jason, would anyone be nearly this pissed off? I doubt it.

As to Marrone not poaching PSU guys, that's no longer anything to worry about, it's past, regime has changed and it's time to move past it. I also think it's pretty fair to point out this is not even remotely the same situation.

But hey to each their own set of opinions.

Last edited:
Of course the circumstances are different, that said this hatred is kind of hilarious. If PSU didn't get 5 additional schollys, and instead had one of their originals left, and just now chose to offer it to Jason, would anyone be nearly this pissed off? I doubt it.

As to Marrone not poaching PSU guys, that's no longer anything to worry about, it's past, regime has changed and it's time to move past it. I also think it's pretty fair to point out this is not even remotely the same situation.

But hey to each their own set of opinions.

PSU was offering with or without the 5 schollies. They had one of their LB recruits renege on his verbal and were trolling for another one before the announcement of them regaining scholarships.

Rvls just banged out 2 articles (penn state written). I’m curious from those of you who have subs to both sites and read the articles whats the vibe? Keeping in mind that the bluewhite illustrated articles will surely be slanted.

I think as a Syracuse fan it’s just natural to assume we’ll lose Cabinda to Penn State. This is sort of an interesting case study now to see how good our staff is at recruiting and keeping kids in the fold. It’ll say a lot imho about these guys as recruiters if we can get Jason’s signature. I say bring it on. We’re not going to get to where we want to be if we can’t win these battles.

It’s definitely going to help us that he’s forged such a good relationship with our other recruits. Ya hope they all continue to keep the bonds they’ve forged and wanting to play together here.

We haven't lost anybody. They chose to stay or go. We just need to take care of business this Saturday afternoon, both coaches, players, Alumn's, and fans. One step at a time, that is the more important issue at the moment, not Penn State, not speculating a kid on our committ list is going to de-committ. Jason has been with us since he announced, I see no reason why he would change his mind, and if he does, he does. This is a special time for Syracuse. We have plenty of work to do, and you don't build "ROME in a Day" even if your name is "Syracuse'!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom