Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

ImperialOrange said:
Well now you're asking me to work. Can I do the ACC teams we face and you cover the rest? ;)

Sure wasn't asking you specifically but that works

SU hasn't recruited big LBs since Terry Wooden and Dan Conley. They've always gone for little guys, or taken bigger DBs and turned them into LBs.

I personally dislike that. You need to find some guys with mass to occupy one or two guys so the quicker guys can
make plays. It especially bothers me when they have DEs who go 240ish-255 whom they then sometimes
line up inside. Sooner or later, they're going to need someone who can hold the edge against some bigger OLs. I
would love to see go back to signing LBs who go 240ish, and DEs who go 270ish, but pulling those guys away from other programs is a bit challenging.

Kev

SU hasn't recruited big LBs since Terry Wooden and Dan Conley. They've always gone for little guys, or taken bigger DBs and turned them into LBs.

I personally dislike that. You need to find some guys with mass to occupy one or two guys so the quicker guys can
make plays. It especially bothers me when they have DEs who go 240ish-255 whom they then sometimes
line up inside. Sooner or later, they're going to need someone who can hold the edge against some bigger OLs. I
would love to see go back to signing LBs who go 240ish, and DEs who go 270ish, but pulling those guys away from other programs is a bit challenging.

Kev
It seems they value speed over size, and unfortunately, the guys that are 6'4 with elite speed at the linebacker position do not come to SU. I think we will see us get bigger linebackers. Some of the guys we already have will be 240lbs by the time they are juniors and seniors.

They recruit undersized Linebackers for a reason, they fit the scheme. They want guys that are fast, because we need them to run sideline to sideline and blitz a lot. This defense is made to showcase the linebackers. Part of the reason our D has been so good is because we've had really good linebackers, which the scheme demands.

They do like a specific type of undersized guys though. They get guys who hit like trucks, which I absolutely love.

It seems they value speed over size, and unfortunately, the guys that are 6'4 with elite speed at the linebacker position do not come to SU. I think we will see us get bigger linebackers. Some of the guys we already have will be 240lbs by the time they are juniors and seniors.

The game has changed in a few ways that mandate having speed over all else. 1) speed on offense. 2) officiating. the big hits that we all grew up loving are now 15 yard penalties far too often.

Kev
The one they did recruit with size for LB, Luke Arciniega, really did not fit our system hence the move to DE this season. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole, and that was blatantly evident last year with McDonald's offense.

Of all the things us Syracuse fans can criticize, defense really should not be one of them. Since Shafer got here we have been consistently ranked among the top in our league each year defensively, and that stems from finding the fast, ballhawking, linebackers that have succeeded in our defensive schemes over the past 6 years.

I do agree somewhat on the DE comment though. It would have been nice to have Ron Thompson and Isaiah Johnson at DE last year but the need for bodies inside was necessary for the moves.

All that said if we had Dan Conley, Keith Bullock, Terry Wooden, Rich Scanlon, etc. walk through that door I would be ecstatic.

Kev

Back then, we were in a 3-4 system that utilized four linebackers. They were bigger because they didn't have to cover as much ground laterally. I loved those LBs -- not in any way suggesting that they were "slow," they were just playing in a different system.

I don't think it is good nor bad that we have gone in a different direction--it is just different. The responsibilities of LBs in a 4-3 are a lot different than those in a 3-4. Now, we have our DTs occupy blockers so that the LBs can make plays all over the field. Speed is key in this system.

Now, given my druthers, I'd rather have 240 pound LBs who are also swift. But most of those guys are going to the Ohio States of the world, not SU. So we take guys who are a little bit shorter, a little bit smaller, etc. who have significant athletic upside. Cameron Lynch is a good example. If he's been 6-3 instead of 6-0, he would have ended up at Georgia. But he was a little too "small" for the SEC, so we got a steal.

If we were in, say, the Big 10, I think we'd recruit bigger LBs. But we need to recruit speed, so that typically means smaller LBs. We need LBs who can run like crazy. You don't see a ton of 6-4, 240 LBs who can run a 4.5 or 4.6.

orangefog said:
It seems they value speed over size, and unfortunately, the guys that are 6'4 with elite speed at the linebacker position do not come to SU.

That is the truth. If 2 LBs had equal elite speed/quickness and were both hard workers, we'd take the 6'3 250 over the 6'0 220 guy all day long.

Last edited:
That is the truth. If 2 LBs had equal elite speed/quickness and we're both hard workers, we'd take the 6'3 250 over the 6'0 220 guy all day long.

In the middle yes, on the edges not so sure. You can only get so big/heavy before you lose some agility and lateral mobility. In decades past (or the current B1G sans OSU) that wouldn't hurt you. In the ACC vs the burners we see in FSU, Clemson, etc it absolutely could.

Back then, we were in a 3-4 system that utilized four linebackers. They were bigger because they didn't have to cover as much ground laterally. I loved those LBs -- not in any way suggesting that they were "slow," they were just playing in a different system.

I don't think it is good nor bad that we have gone in a different direction--it is just different. The responsibilities of LBs in a 4-3 are a lot different than those in a 3-4. Now, we have our DTs occupy blockers so that the LBs can make plays all over the field. Speed is key in this system.

Now, given my druthers, I'd rather have 240 pound LBs who are also swift. But most of those guys are going to the Ohio States of the world, not SU. So we take guys who are a little bit shorter, a little bit smaller, etc. who have significant athletic upside. Cameron Lynch is a good example. If he's been 6-3 instead of 6-0, he would have ended up at Georgia. But he was a little too "small" for the SEC, so we got a steal.

It is far easier to get 4-3 LB's than it is to get 3-4 LB's. It's just the way it is. This has even caused a shift toward the 4-3 in the NFL.

That is the truth. If 2 LBs had equal elite speed/quickness and were both hard workers, we'd take the 6'3 250 over the 6'0 220 guy all day long.

Who wouldn't? I constantly see references to Cam Lynch but who wouldn't want Cam Lynch with 3 or 4 more inches in height on him?

Not to mention, many schools aren't using the classic fullback in their sets, where the MLB would need to take him on most running plays. Offenses are playing more quickly, and the LBs have the most versatility to counter that quickness.

tep624 said:
Who wouldn't? I constantly see references to Cam Lynch but who wouldn't want Cam Lynch with 3 or 4 more inches in height on him?

My comment were to those who think we recruit speed ie smaller guys.

In the box it's not necessarily speed but ability to read coupled with quickness. Full speed after two steps beats super fast who is slow to the first step or gets faked easy all the time, or is slow in reading the play.

Everyone made good points. For our scheme we need our LB's to be fast and elusive. If you look at it this way, our 6'0 220 pound LB's would actually be 240 if they were a couple inches taller.

They recruit undersized Linebackers for a reason, they fit the scheme. They want guys that are fast, because we need them to run sideline to sideline and blitz a lot. This defense is made to showcase the linebackers. Part of the reason our D has been so good is because we've had really good linebackers, which the scheme demands.

They do like a specific type of undersized guys though. They get guys who hit like trucks, which I absolutely love.

That's true, but it also shows the different level Syracuse, and say tOSU, FSU, Clemson, and i've especially noticed UCLA recruit at. We recruit shorter speedy guys, because the 6'3 240lb LB's that can run are going to the factories. I also suggest people check out UCLA's LB recruiting haul this year. They have 3 LB's in the ESPN 150. All between 6'2 - 6-4 230-240.

That's true, but it also shows the different level Syracuse, and say tOSU, FSU, Clemson, and i've especially noticed UCLA recruit at. We recruit shorter speedy guys, because the 6'3 240lb LB's that can run are going to the factories. I also suggest people check out UCLA's LB recruiting haul this year. They have 3 LB's in the ESPN 150. All between 6'2 - 6-4 230-240.

Mora is doing an incredible job there. His staff recruits insanely well, and they've won 29 games his first 3 years.

Well fan fest was a great time. Was really sweating the rain when it started pouring moments before the practice started. Met a lot of great people again. I had shys shirt on so I would be walking and people kept coming up asking are you shys dad. They would say I'm xxxx and I would have to say what's your Screen name ? But once they told me that I knew who everyone was. I think I sat next to a big section of guys from here they were with Texan mark. Unfortunately as many who were there saw JJ had better ideas than me sitting and watching the game or talking to people. The scrimmage was great. Shy missed an interception on the first play. He said he knew what they were running but second guessed himself and got there a second late. He said as the day went on he felt more confident so That was Good. He was washed out on 2 blitzes when he got double teamed but to be honest with the little diferent plays being run the offense and the defense would know what was coming before the ball was snapped so they had a good shot at stopping the key people in the plays. He had 1 Missed tackle in sure he will hear about. But he had 2real good open field tackles and was where he belonged the rest of the time so he did good. Coach bullough and shafer both though he played great for his first hitting practice. After we hit the field and said hi to shy and the coaches. JJ was hanging with the team. We had a good time. It was great to hear shys name called over the PA system when he made the tackle on Phillips. It strange you hear his name so much in high school called... But I'll be honest I was probably more nervous than he was. It was good to see him be able to play with these kids. It's really a relief. When I heard his name over the pa I wAs like ok that was pretty cool. They didn't announce all the plays so when they did it was for something pretty good. He said he feels more confident this morning we went to breakfast with him. He is a little sore but feels good. He looks great said he usually weighs in at 221 before practice. They haven't had time to lift this week so he wants to go back now and lift before they geT fitted for their mouth pieces and practice this afternoon. With perry down for a bit shy will get lots of reps as the 2 no string he just wants to make sure he gets everything he can during this time.

Well fan fest was a great time. Was really sweating the rain when it started pouring moments before the practice started. Met a lot of great people again. I had shys shirt on so I would be walking and people kept coming up asking are you shys dad. They would say I'm xxxx and I would have to say what's your Screen name ? But once they told me that I knew who everyone was. I think I sat next to a big section of guys from here they were with Texan mark. Unfortunately as many who were there saw JJ had better ideas than me sitting and watching the game or talking to people. .

I saw you running around chasing after the little one, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello.

Hopefully I'll see you at the tailgates. :)

Well fan fest was a great time. Was really sweating the rain when it started pouring moments before the practice started. Met a lot of great people again. I had shys shirt on so I would be walking and people kept coming up asking are you shys dad. They would say I'm xxxx and I would have to say what's your Screen name ? But once they told me that I knew who everyone was. I think I sat next to a big section of guys from here they were with Texan mark. Unfortunately as many who were there saw JJ had better ideas than me sitting and watching the game or talking to people. The scrimmage was great. Shy missed an interception on the first play. He said he knew what they were running but second guessed himself and got there a second late. He said as the day went on he felt more confident so That was Good. He was washed out on 2 blitzes when he got double teamed but to be honest with the little diferent plays being run the offense and the defense would know what was coming before the ball was snapped so they had a good shot at stopping the key people in the plays. He had 1 Missed tackle in sure he will hear about. But he had 2real good open field tackles and was where he belonged the rest of the time so he did good. Coach bullough and shafer both though he played great for his first hitting practice. After we hit the field and said hi to shy and the coaches. JJ was hanging with the team. We had a good time. It was great to hear shys name called over the PA system when he made the tackle on Phillips. It strange you hear his name so much in high school called... But I'll be honest I was probably more nervous than he was. It was good to see him be able to play with these kids. It's really a relief. When I heard his name over the pa I wAs like ok that was pretty cool. They didn't announce all the plays so when they did it was for something pretty good. He said he feels more confident this morning we went to breakfast with him. He is a little sore but feels good. He looks great said he usually weighs in at 221 before practice. They haven't had time to lift this week so he wants to go back now and lift before they geT fitted for their mouth pieces and practice this afternoon. With perry down for a bit shy will get lots of reps as the 2 no string he just wants to make sure he gets everything he can during this time.
I saw a kid out of the corner running around the stadium with his head on fire with molten lava. Then I noticed it was a blazing redhead being chased by their parent. I told my gf, "Their goes Shy's dad. Glad to see he is already training for our LB corp." Would have said hello but I think that kid has a 5 alarmer on top of that noodle. Should have called for back up!couchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburn:eat popcorn: