Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

Bam, you mentioned the kids drinking Muscle Milk. Very low sugar. Everything I read says post-workout, you should have some simple carbs with protein. The simple carbs spike insulin and help with the rapid uptake of the protein. That's why something like chocolate milk is considered a great post-workout drink. Simple carbs and protein. Do they talk to the kids about such details regarding diet?

Bam, you mentioned the kids drinking Muscle Milk. Very low sugar. Everything I read says post-workout, you should have some simple carbs with protein. The simple carbs spike insulin and help with the rapid uptake of the protein. That's why something like chocolate milk is considered a great post-workout drink. Simple carbs and protein. Do they talk to the kids about such details regarding diet?
I had told shy the frozen yogurt Sunday's would be a good way to go plus the sandwiches for lunch and the bagels with peanut butter will have some simple carbs. He may need to add more I just want to go slow on the intake to start. Chocolate milk won't work for him he is lactose intolerant and drinks lactaid I don't think they have a syrup there for him to add... Or I didn't see it. Also told him to drink Gatorade in the am not just at workouts so that should give him some more. I don't think they talk to the kids much about it. They sent a book about It back in February but I doubt many read it. Shy will reach out to me before he goes to a coach. If I see him still struggling I will or I will have him contact a coach to see what else we can do.

Do they have a sports nutritionist to work with Hicks? Seems like there should be basics to teach the kids:

Simple carbs and protein post-workout, casein protein shake before bed, etc.

One thing I started doing recently is adding cherries to my post-workout protein shake. Anti-inflammatory and a relatively high sugar fruit.

Do they have a sports nutritionist to work with Hicks? Seems like there should be basics to teach the kids:

One thing I started doing recently is adding cherries to my post-workout protein shake. Anti-inflammatory and a relatively high sugar fruit.
There is a nutritionist but I think they only really get involved when it's hey lose 10 lbs or hey gain 20 lbs type stuff. I could be wrong. They give the kids muscle milk as pretty much the only supplement. The NCAA guidelines on supplements make it so it's pretty much the only one they can take. No creatine In supplements allowed. Plus there is a guide on how many grams of protein to calories that is very restrictive

There is a nutritionist but I think they only really get involved when it's hey lose 10 lbs or hey gain 20 lbs type stuff. I could be wrong. They give the kids muscle milk as pretty much the only supplement. The NCAA guidelines on supplements make it so it's pretty much the only one they can take. No creatine In supplements allowed. Plus there is a guide on how many grams of protein to calories that is very restrictive

I asked the same question, and this is what I figured or that contact with the nutritionist starts when practice does. I'm sure we could start a whole thread on sports nutrition if we wanted to really go off the rails, and maybe we should to keep Shy's thread on the rails. :). I do think well tuned nutrition plan is the key to the next level in athletic performance.

Agreed on the cherries, I add a spoon of tart cherry concentrate after a run, it helps my knees, in combo with icing, on the not quite Advil worthy days, to try to keep the anti-inflamitories to a minimum whenever possible.

No creatine? What? I'd like to hear NCAA's reasoning behind that. It's not a steroid.

No creatine? What? I'd like to hear NCAA's reasoning behind that. It's not a steroid.
Uconn doesn't have the readily available fresh water to sustain a cycle of creatine. If 1 can't do it, noone can.

Starting next week, Shy and the rest will be under the tender care of Baby Doll. Breakfast and dinner for sure. Not sure about lunch. Plus whatever sandwiches Baby Doll packs for them. That, plus the Muscle Milk, power bars, and their meal plan. The boys will be set.

I had told shy the frozen yogurt Sunday's would be a good way to go plus the sandwiches for lunch and the bagels with peanut butter will have some simple carbs. He may need to add more I just want to go slow on the intake to start. Chocolate milk won't work for him he is lactose intolerant and drinks lactaid I don't think they have a syrup there for him to add... Or I didn't see it. Also told him to drink Gatorade in the am not just at workouts so that should give him some more. I don't think they talk to the kids much about it. They sent a book about It back in February but I doubt many read it. Shy will reach out to me before he goes to a coach. If I see him still struggling I will or I will have him contact a coach to see what else we can do.

Have you tried Core Power? It's lactose free.. 26 grams of protein and it tastes great.

Have you tried Core Power? It's lactose free.. 26 grams of protein and it tastes great.
The staff has instructed them to take no protein or other supplements other than muscle milk

The staff has instructed them to take no protein or other supplements other than muscle milk

Bacon...mmmm Bacon...protein and fat with plenty of calories. Aids in everything, cures hangovers, greasy bacon.

You guys need to stop talking about healthy stuff. Breakfast should lots of Bacon, half a dozen eggs, some toast with butter, hash browns with onions and cheddar. That will put some weight on the young man, the rest of the day he can eat healthy.

Still am amazed that they can't take creatine, can you but it for him? Do they test for it or something?

Bacon...mmmm Bacon...protein and fat with plenty of calories. Aids in everything, cures hangovers, greasy bacon.

You guys need to stop talking about healthy stuff. Breakfast should lots of Bacon, half a dozen eggs, some toast with butter, hash browns with onions and cheddar. That will put some weight on the young man, the rest of the day he can eat healthy.

Still am amazed that they can't take creatine, can you but it for him? Do they test for it or something?
I took creatine supplements for a time. Found that I made significant lifting gains. Also learned that my muscles outpaced my tendons and I developed some issues in my elbows and shoulders.

Also, you gotta make absolutely sure you drink enough water. Creatine can be awfully hard on kidneys.

Long story short, I don't do creatine anymore.

Most supplements do contain stuff the NCAA tests for ( there is a huge list including excess caffeine) so they don't want them taking anything but muscle milk ( and yes lots of bacon eggs and breakfast) we had to tell thEm everything shy took for the last six months and they called and told him specifically to stop taking craeatine supplements

I took creatine supplements for a time. Found that I made significant lifting gains. Also learned that my muscles outpaced my tendons and I developed some issues in my elbows and shoulders.

Also, you gotta make absolutely sure you drink enough water. Creatine can be awfully hard on kidneys.

Long story short, I don't do creatine anymore.

Companies do lump a lot of other supplements with creatine and caffeine is one of them because it has a synergistic effect when coupled with simple carbs and creatine. They can pretty much put anything in there so I agree I guess with the approach seeing as how there is no regulation of supplements.

Took creatine for years when I was younger, is great stuff. Then again the NCAA (National Collegiate Association of ) isn't testing me.

Companies do lump a lot of other supplements with creatine and caffeine is one of them because it has a synergistic effect when coupled with simple carbs and creatine. They can pretty much put anything in there so I agree I guess with the approach seeing as how there is no regulation of supplements.

Took creatine for years when I was younger, is great stuff. Then again the NCAA (National Collegiate Association of ) isn't testing me.
Creatine can definitely get someone to get where the want to go. My problem with it is simply that my muscles could put up a 375 bench , but the tendons in my shoulders and elbows said "screw you,we're done" :D. Last time felt a pop in my right shoulder. Afterwards, there's been a persistent numbness radiating from my right shoulder down to my right index finger. Tried a few times to work through it. Obviously, that was a bad idea. I've not touched a barbell or dumb bell for a while, and things are starting to get back to normal.

Figure I'll give myself a few more months, then slowly get back into the swing of things. This time, will avoid the creatine. I can't resist the temptation to reach too far out when I'm taking it.

I have taken a lot of supplements and shy has taken a few. He took creatine for a couple months. He was having trouble gaining weight and he dropped below 200 in February. His add meds really messed with his eating. He put on a few pounds and we changed his meds and his eating got better so he stopped taking it back in April. He is 215 now so he is gaining weight with the food in the cafe and the muscle milk. I expect when he starts eating baby dolls food he will gain a little more before the season but with camp starting I will be happy if he stays at 215.

Bambrewer said:

Yeah you have to be very careful with tainted or uncertified supplements

image.jpg
image.jpg

I recently had the opportunity to meet Shy and speak with him. First, he is very polite and soft-spoken. During our talk he expressed his determination toward continuous improvement. He was also quick to point out how fortunate he felt to be at Syracuse. I see a leader in Shy and someone who will make a difference in Orange football, during his time here.

lets go orange 586275082_1532801.gif

Last edited: