Class of 2016 - OLB Solomon Manning (NJ) Verbal to Rutgers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OLB Solomon Manning (NJ) Verbal to Rutgers

There are 175 offers out for 18 maybe 19 spots. Are all those offers commitable. NO. Unless the kid has camped at Syracuse before all those offers have been made from highlight tapes or maybe one Spring practice.

This was probably the first time that the staff was able to evaluate him face to face. Obviously they weren't ready after the camp to let him commit. Rutgers was pushing for a commitment. The kid was afraid he would lose out on a scholarship so he committed to Rutgers. It doesn't however mean the staff is done recruiting him.

jekelish said:
Not really. Our coaching staff wasn't 100% convinced, so they weren't ready to take his commitment, especially since he's not at the top of their board and the guys who ARE at the top of the board are still strongly considering pledging to SU. So do you take his commit, because it's there, and risk losing out on one of your top guys? Or do you tell him you aren't ready to take him yet?

Seems pretty clear to me.

The kid took the bird in the hand. Pressuring these kids like Flood did often means decommitted kids down the line.

Do we know (or have a general idea) who the coaches have rated higher and feel like we're in the picture?

I hate seeing this kid publicly humiliated on syracuse.com.

At least it sounds like we made it pretty clear with Solomon that there were conditions on the offer. Seems like a lot of schools haven't really done a good job of that and ended up creating messes.

There are 175 offers out for 18 maybe 19 spots. Are all those offers commitable. NO. Unless the kid has camped at Syracuse before all those offers have been made from highlight tapes or maybe one Spring practice.

This was probably the first time that the staff was able to evaluate him face to face. Obviously they weren't ready after the camp to let him commit. Rutgers was pushing for a commitment. The kid was afraid he would lose out on a scholarship so he committed to Rutgers. It doesn't however mean the staff is done recruiting him.
Yep. He isn't sure if Syracuse will ever accept his verbal, and Rutgers was about to pull their offer. So he was in danger of potentially losing each of his top two choices this weekend...so he jumped on one of them while he still could. Can't blame the kid, and unfortunately the process is, well, the process. I am going to blame Rutgers for giving him that ultimatum, though. That's a jerk move.

Do we know (or have a general idea) who the coaches have rated higher and feel like we're in the picture?

I hate seeing this kid public humiliated on syracuse.com.
Parker from New Jersey, Quansah from Connecticut are two that jump to mind immediately for me at the LB position.

Yep. He isn't sure if Syracuse will ever accept his verbal, and Rutgers was about to pull their offer. So he was in danger of potentially losing each of his top two choices this weekend...so he jumped on one of them while he still could. Can't blame the kid, and unfortunately the process is, well, the process. I am going to blame Rutgers for giving him that ultimatum, though. That's a jerk move.
Yeah, deadlining is really crappy. Just as with offers, recruits can't really tell for sure if the deadline is a bluff. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

At least it sounds like we made it pretty clear with Solomon that there were conditions on the offer. Seems like a lot of schools haven't really done a good job of that and ended up creating messes.

The mess where they have too many kids and are going to go over the 85 number so they try and get them to go to prep or like the OSU kid won't clear him medically.

Yeah, deadlining is really crappy. Just as with offers, recruits can't really tell for sure if the deadline is a bluff. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

I agree. I was just a normal Joe Schmoe trying to decide where to go to school and I sure didn't want to decide with a gun to my head - for lack of a better term.

I wouldn't even say the kid was a plan B. The same reason we didn't offer was the same reason other schools are hesitant about him. It's pretty simple we just didn't think he is a good fit into our system. Sucks for the kid, but it is what it is.

And man the PS doesn't hold back. Pretty embarrassing for the kid. I'm sure the staff are thrilled with that gem.

Parker from New Jersey, Quansah from Connecticut are two that jump to mind immediately for me at the LB position.

Quansah is an absolute stud, but last I saw we were basically out of the picture...or at least he had a top 2 that didn't include us. I hope we remained in contact, but i'm not certain if that's the case. Him and Rene were 2 of my favorite recruits early on in the cycle.

Quansah is an absolute stud, but last I saw we were basically out of the picture...or at least he had a top 2 that didn't include us. I hope we remained in contact, but i'm not certain if that's the case. Him and Rene were 2 of my favorite recruits early on in the cycle.
I hope we are still involved. He was just one who came to mind. But others: Jamir Jones, Chase Pine, Rashawn Battle...I'm sure I'm missing some. And I think we'll wind up landing Parker.

I hope we are still involved. He was just one who came to mind. But others: Jamir Jones, Chase Pine, Rashawn Battle...I'm sure I'm missing some. And I think we'll wind up landing Parker.

What's strange about that list, minus Parker, is that they are all on the bigger side. I'd be surprised if they have more speed then Manning?

What's strange about that list, minus Parker, is that they are all on the bigger side. I'd be surprised if they have more speed then Manning?
From what I have gathered, it was lateral movement that might have done in Manning in his evaluation.

Ah, I assumed you meant north/south speed. From what I understand the coaches weren't thrilled with the quickness in his hips.

I mean we can't really question this one. They had a chance to evaluate him up close and personal. The kids game is definitely more on the physical side, he'd probably be a better fit in the B1G.

I think MLB is a high priority as we only have 2 MLBs on the roster. OLB is a secondary position of need and likely only for an upper level A List prospect. Manning is a 200lb and just isn't a priority and didn't wow everybody at camp.

Chase Pine goes 220+ and another kid from Georgia popped up today and he's listed at 235. Battle 225 etc.

Last edited:
I think MLB is a high priority as we only have 2 MLBs on the roster. OLB is a secondary position of need and likely only for an upper level A List prospect. Manning is a 200lb and just isn't a priority and didn't wow everybody at camp.

Chase Pine goes 220+ and another kid from Georgia popped up today and he's listed at 235. Battle 225 etc.
Who's the new kid from Georgia? I haven't seen anything about him, I don't think.

Who's the new kid from Georgia? I haven't seen anything about him, I don't think.

Tobias Little, Atlanta, GA. I don't know how involved we are but the name popped up today. We're definitely recruiting bigger LB's and it's obvious we have a need at MLB.

Also there is a NJ kid that is suppose to be camping this weekend. Tyreek Williams

It really is pretty simple. The staff got a chance to heavily eyeball this kid in camp. They weren't all-in on him... at least right now. They deferred and will watch his senior film to see where he's at IMO. In the meantime, he should do what is best for him. I seem to believe there are a few kids above him on their board who they have a very good chance at landing.

His "offer" list is solid, but can we place some faith and credence in what this staff is doing? They know their shite when it comes to recruiting so please be patient and understand that they see beyond (and frankly, before) the "tag" that Riivals, Scooot or 2447 gives a kid. Actually their system is incredibly intricate and has zippo to do with the star system.

Coming off a 3-9 season, these coaches are crushing it right now with both the current commits as well as several of the kids they're in the running for. It's actually incredible and speaks volumes to what is going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
It really is pretty simple. The staff got a chance to heavily eyeball this kid in camp. They weren't all-in on him... at least right now. They deferred and will watch his senior film to see where he's at IMO. In the meantime, he should do what is best for him. I seem to believe there are a few kids above him on their board who they have a very good chance at landing.

His "offer" list is solid, but can we place some faith and credence in what this staff is doing? They know their shite when it comes to recruiting so please be patient and understand that they see beyond (and frankly, before) the "tag" that Riivals, Scooot or 2447 gives a kid. Actually their system is incredibly intricate and has zippo to do with the star system.

Coming off a 3-9 season, these coaches are crushing it right now with both the current commits as well as several of the kids they're in the running for. It's actually incredible and speaks volumes to what is going on behind the scenes.

This is also why this staff needs 3 more years to get all the kinks worked out and get consecutive recruiting classes in and really see what they can do with their kids in their system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom