On JB's imagined favoritism re: Buddy... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

On JB's imagined favoritism re: Buddy...

Our guards were always decent offensive threats it was the bigs who weren’t score enough.

Roberson/Chukwu/Moyer types not being offensive threats are why we have played 4 on 5.

The pro-offense mindset is fun but it’s clearly a shift from JB.
The defense is just terrible when the overwhelmingly majority minutes are played by Girard and Buddy.
We have no length at the top and it makes the zone easier to pass around.

And Howard, Battle, and Brissett’s 3 point prowess had nothing to do with all those 52-50 rock fights that the whole board hated?

And Howard, Battle, and Brissett’s 3 point prowess had nothing to do with all those 52-50 rock fights that the whole board hated?
I hated those rock fights.
I also blame those rock fights on the fact we had no offensive threats in the front court and those bigs flooded the paint which basically killed our halfcourt offense.
Our offense was terrible because of the bigs sucking offensively and we have stopped running in transition.
Syracuse basketball used to run and get 10-15 points in transition.

That is gone.
Making shots is good but not at the expense of being really terrible on defense.
We need a complete team and run when we can.
We can’t run with the personnel we currently have as the defense sucks.

I hated those rock fights.
I also blame those rock fights on the fact we had no offensive threats in the front court and those bigs flooded the paint which basically killed our halfcourt offense.
Our offense was terrible because of the bigs sucking offensively and we have stopped running in transition.
Syracuse basketball used to run and get 10-15 points in transition.

That is gone.
Making shots is good but not at the expense of being really terrible on defense.
We need a complete team and run when we can.
We can’t run with the personnel we currently have as the defense sucks.

We still didn’t run even when we were good on defense. And when we did our guards just tried plowing to the basket by themselves.

I’ll take Girard’s savvy over that nonsense anyday, even if he did suck on defense as a freshman. At least he can hit a 3 and looks like he’s run a 3 on 2, 2 on 1 drill a few times in his life.

We still didn’t run even when we were good on defense. And when we did our guards just tried plowing to the basket by themselves.

I’ll take Girard’s savvy over that nonsense anyday, even if he did suck on defense as a freshman. At least he can hit a 3 and looks like he’s run a 3 on 2, 2 on 1 drill a few times in his life.
I like Girard. I also like Buddy.
The problem is if they are each going to play 35+ MPG for 3 years that is bullchit.

Buddy is not a superstar. 35+ MPG should be for all conference talent. If Buddy was on the floor for spacing and we had a superstar it makes sense. He will drill 3’s. He shouldn’t be the primary focus of the defense.

We should have 4 quality guards every year that can be in a rotation. Unless we have a MCW or Gbinije level talent.
Those guys deserve 35+ MPG not last year’s rotation especially when we weren’t good last year we were medicore. The fanbase was pretty positive about last year as well. I had no expectations last year.

The guys you are bitching about not playing proved they could not play at that level. You would put low D-1 guys into games, with an already thin talent team on the floor, just so Buddy would play less.
Great response but you are talking to deaf ears. They have their agenda. It was one of the worse benches we've had. It hurt the team when Carey and Goodine came in. Nobody covered them.

Great response but you are talking to deaf ears. They have their agenda. It was one of the worse benches we've had. It hurt the team when Carey and Goodine came in. Nobody covered them.
Chit posts like this are why debate is impossible.
Yeah people have agendas. They actually want to be a top 4 team in the freaking conference.

Hopefuly Kadary is good. We need him to be to get minutes. If his defense is poor but he can play offensively he should get minutes based on last year.

Carey played 2 games last year.
2 games his name shouldn’t even be mentioned.

Howard Washington and Brycen Goodine struggled offensively but improved the defense.

Those guys don’t need to play starters minutes but they are good enough to play more and make the starters fresher and better.
Buddy and Girard are better offensive players they are terrible defenders.
Goodine and Washington were terrible offensive players and active good defenders.

It is allowed to be balanced. We don’t have absolute in one direction.
But agendas.

Last edited:
This. Washington too. It was blatant.
Washington was our best penetrating guard and always got the ball to the right spot.
He wasn’t a shooter. He was our best PG through.

Goodine didn’t shoot the ball enough to say he couldn’t get better.
If you pinch hit in baseball and go 0-1 for 10 games and 1-1 in 2 games does that mean you are .167 hitter?

When buddy got hurt at Pitt last year did the team completely suck?
No our offense got enough from Hughes and Girard that the improved defense made the game a laugher.

We should be able to win games multiple ways.

Washington was our best penetrating guard and always got the ball to the right spot.
He wasn’t a shooter. He was our best PG through.

Goodine didn’t shoot the ball enough to say he couldn’t get better.
If you pinch hit in baseball and go 0-1 for 10 games and 1-1 in 2 games does that mean you are .167 hitter?

When buddy got hurt at Pitt last year did the team completely suck?
No our offense got enough from Hughes and Girard that the improved defense made the game a laugher.

We should be able to win games multiple ways.

Washington knew how to play, he just couldn’t really do it at this level for anything more than spot minutes.

Absolute tone-deaf response. It’s not about “agendas”. And for chrissakes, can we have a mature disagreement about a coaching philosophy, that doesn’t always have to devolve into ad hominem foolishness like this?
Yeah, we’re complaining about bench usage because our agenda is to hate JB, SU Athletics, apple pie, Chevrolet, and ‘Murica. That’s the ticket!! SMDH

Our guards were always decent offensive threats it was the bigs who weren’t score enough.

Roberson/Chukwu/Moyer types not being offensive threats are why we have played 4 on 5.

The pro-offense mindset is fun but it’s clearly a shift from JB.
The defense is just terrible when the overwhelmingly majority minutes are played by Girard and Buddy.
We have no length at the top and it makes the zone easier to pass around.
Definitely agree our defense with Girard and Buddy at the top of the zone was a serious weakness last year. I expect to see improvement from both of them this year, based on what Buddy has said on the topic. The fact Buddy has said it is an important focus for him this year tells us that he's heard it stressed more than a few times by his Dad, and it also tells us that JG also got the memo way back in March.

How much improvement will we see? Who knows? But it's fair to say that this team's final record will depend crucially on how well our guards play defense. A year of experience under their belts is definitely a positive, so there's that.

There was clearly room for improvement in their focus & intensity, which are major determinants of defensive performance. When JB's zone has been a fearsome weapon, that intensity has always stood out. If Kadary is as good as rumored, he'll be able to provide the kind of minutes off the bench that would let BB & JG know they don't have to 'save anything' for the end of the game. That's what I'm hoping for.

So yeah, I see definite reasons for hoping this year's team will be a significantly improved team, defensively. Last year's young team had so many leaks to plug, both offensively and defensively, it's actually quite amazing that JB was able to develop them into the team that could dominate N.C. at the end of the season.

Anyone who knows anything about Jim Boeheim, it's that he wants his zone defense to be a turnover-forcing machine that puts a lot of pressure on opposing teams. I fully expect this year's team to be much stronger, defensively, I just don't know how much yet...

Remember all the bigs we had who couldn't see the floor because their defense wasn't good enough? I remember Rak in that category through his first couple years. Despite ALWAYS being better offensively than his competition. I agree that's one of my biggest frustrations with JB's argument here.
Defense doesn’t matter when it’s his son and Girard

Absolute tone-deaf response. It’s not about “agendas”. And for chrissakes, can we have a mature disagreement about a coaching philosophy, that doesn’t always have to devolve into ad hominem foolishness like this?
Yeah, we’re complaining about bench usage because our agenda is to hate JB, SU Athletics, apple pie, Chevrolet, and ‘Murica. That’s the ticket!! SMDH
We didn't have a bench for the guards or our center. But you harp about the minutes JG and Buddy played. Who you going to put in? They were all inept in various ways . Sidibe would have played a ton of minutes also but he was foulprone. That's what happens with no bench. Next year Ill be the first to bitch if Kadary and at least one of the centers don't play.There a mature conversation about my agenda. So who you putting in and for how long?

Your assumption (or blinders) that there was talent on the bench that didn't play (injured Braswell aside) is wrong. Carey and Goodine - not good. Washington - serviceable, at best
Washington isn’t a P5 talent. Carey and Goodine will be good players at their new schools.

Buddy won't play a lot if Griffin or Richmond are better options but I'll bet he wins the ties.

For me it’s the double standard that JB himself cornered himself with. For much of the last decade he was defense first. His pressers repeatedly stated “if you don’t defend you won’t play”. Then Buddy, the slowest defender in the modern era, comes along and now the theme is you have to make shots to play.

For me it’s the double standard that JB himself cornered himself with. For much of the last decade he was defense first. His pressers repeatedly stated “if you don’t defend you won’t play”. Then Buddy, the slowest defender in the modern era, comes along and now the theme is you have to make shots to play.

same with Girard, who might be a worse defensive player. Maybe not slower than Buddy, but definitely lazier.

same with Girard, who might be a worse defensive player. Maybe not slower than Buddy, but definitely lazier.
I wasn't a fan of the way Joe would bail out when he was the only guy back defending a fast break. Wouldn't even try to strip the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom