On The Block no more | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

i can see Nicholson playing JB with ithacamatt/Cruise badgering him as to if he ordered the code red on Axe, working him up to a lather until he yells it out loud, "You're GD right I did"...with GoSU96/Kevin Bacon looking on thinking w t f
Yeah but a code red led to a guy dying, which is kinda illegal

This, not so much

The fact that the CEO came out with the comments he did leans toward no settlement. The burden of proof is on Axe and I doubt he has anything to claim agism. As for "twitterati" (love that term), they will do nothing, as is typical. How can I tell that? In the tweets I've seen (which are limited as I don't have twitter anymore) I don't think any of them have linked axe's dotcom work which would be a way to directly benefit him. They probably recognize axe sucks and they are only interested in causing a ruckus to help protect themselves from falling into a similar scenario.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Axe tried to go a legal route - way too much risk to his career to be worth it. I'm just pointing out there is a route for him to go if he so chooses.

I was in a business dispute once where I was advised - you CAN sue, you MIGHT win (although probably not)...it DEFINATELY won't be worth it (even if a miracle happens and you "win"). Axe is in that situation right now.

And I agree there's no chance any of the people on Twitter working themselves into an outrage are going to do anything...I'd intended to imply that in my comment but I don't think it came through upon rereading it.

please no Gloria Allred... please no Gloria Allred.... please no Glorida Allred

Another favorite of the “sue everyone” crowd. They completely ignore how difficult it is to prove defamation or calculate any real damages
Yup. Look at the dominion case. That is TEXTBOOK libel. You need proof they knew something was false and said it anyways, including with intent to harm. Texts prove it. That'll be a case taught in schools for decades.

Having a guy say his own reason for firing someone...is clearly not defamation (since it was spoken). The truth is always a defense, even if you don't like it.

Now was it a violation of his contract? Who knows. But having seen a lot of similar contracts, I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a clause in there covering this and it's at the discretion of management.

I still think it was stupid for Levine to say what he did. He made Brent a martyr. He didn't need to be. Just say you're going in a new direction with a fresh voice. That's all.

Please Jackie Chiles…please Jackie Chiles…please Jackie Chiles
I’m hoping for this guy
39C1755F-80BB-4F40-B69F-A08287EA60EE.jpeg

My guess is you pin your case on age discrimination and go from there. Likelihood of winning a court case is low - typically you're looking for a defendant to agree to a settlement to avoid the bad PR that would come out in court. The issue for Axe would be that might effectively burn all bridges in the industry - the smarter play would be to try to parlay the current media coverage into a new, better gig. If that doesn't work, then a lawsuit and a cash grab becomes a more viable option.

Lots of Twitterati with pull have weighed in - its time for them to put their money (and power) where their mouths have been the last few days and help hook up Brent with a new gig. Otherwise it looks an awful lot like guys with an axe to grind just taking the opportunity to do so (Looking directly at the Sports Guy, IMHO he's on the clock now...)
The out of town twitterati? I doubt they have any power or pull to help Axe get a job locally.

It’s the most obvious conclusion to draw. I’m not sure how you can’t see that. Boeheim was a part owner of the freaking radio station and is on record as disliking Axe.

Even if JB was completely innocent and his friend acted alone this is still the narrative that would emerge from the situation.

Occam’s Razor

Occam's razor - Wikipedia

It's not just the number of assumptions. It's their size.

Yup. Look at the dominion case. That is TEXTBOOK libel. You need proof they knew something was false and said it anyways, including with intent to harm. Texts prove it. That'll be a case taught in schools for decades.

Having a guy say his own reason for firing someone...is clearly not defamation (since it was spoken). The truth is always a defense, even if you don't like it.

Now was it a violation of his contract? Who knows. But having seen a lot of similar contracts, I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a clause in there covering this and it's at the discretion of management.

I still think it was stupid for Levine to say what he did. He made Brent a martyr. He didn't need to be. Just say you're going in a new direction with a fresh voice. That's all.
Libel is actually written falsehoods, slander is spoken, defamation can be both.

I'd agree and disagree. If the employer has their shite together and have documentation and show a process that ties in with their policies, acknowledged and signed off by said former employee, then the employer should be ok.

But any loosy goosy situations where documentation is sloppy or policy is lax / sloppy and the former employee has an opening.

The State also offsets things with being very lax and lenient with Work Comp.

You can have video of a guy with a bad back out doing landscaping, working out, digging for gold, climbing Mt Everest, what have you and the WCB will still favor for the injured worker and say that the injured employee was having a better day physically and that they cannot ascertain the true pain and discomfort of the injured employee as it could vary from day to day, moment to moment.

Swear on my kids I have experienced that throughout my career. It's crazy.

I remember from my career with Social Security we got cases where the state had terminated WCB in exactly that circumstance and we followed suit with our disability benefits.

Boeheim showing himself to be quite a jerk as he parts ways, sad to say.
He could have been so much classier than this.

Really, the first thing you do is fire the local talk radio guy?

Have you noticed, Jim?
Nobody covers us AT ALL in the national media unless you're creating some embarrassing situation.

He had to wait until after Autry's baptism. Then he could settle all family business.

Actually it is if that’s the slant your boss wants. He’s on an entertainment show about kids playing ball sports, it’s not journalism.

The station offers discussions about sports teams that listeners can join by calling in or posting to their message board. Brent was defending their right to do so. Will people want to listen to a station where a guy got fired for not toeing the company line? It's not a question of whether Levine had a right to fire one of his employees. Having a right to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. And saying that this was why he was fired was a stupid move.

It’s the most obvious conclusion to draw. I’m not sure how you can’t see that. Boeheim was a part owner of the freaking radio station and is on record as disliking Axe.

Even if JB was completely innocent and his friend acted alone this is still the narrative that would emerge from the situation.

Occam’s Razor

images

"If you go to bed and there's no snow, and you wake up and there's snow...you can say it snowed, although you didn't see it." -- Bob Woodward/Robert Redford in, 'All the President's Men.'

Last edited:
The station offers discussions about sports teams that listeners can join by calling in or posting to their message board. Brent was defending their right to do so. Will people want to listen to a station where a guy got fired for not toeing the company line? It's not a question of whether Levine had a right to fire one of his employees. Having a right to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. And saying that this was why he was fired was a stupid move
As an SU fan, I want to listen to a guy who likes SU too. He/she can be critical (as I am sometimes) but I don't want to hear the same thing over and over. Like all the talk about how SU mishandled the transition. Ok, no shi*. That was last week. I don't think it was black and white and most things aren't. I also want a positive entertainer who can be critical but not dwell on the negativity. A little balance is nice. Funny is good too.

As for this thing. In fact many people here are claiming it is a question of whether Levine had a right to fire one of his employees for the reason he stated.

In addition, I have no problem with what Levine said but I know some others do. Hell, if I read that and then didn't hear anything about it after that, I would not have given it another thought.

yeah, that's an odd tweet.
I wasn't misquoted, but they left out important context.
What was that?
Important context. There's more to it.
Oh, OK! Mystery solved!
I'm sure everything was recorded. Reporters don't take notes, they record everything with phones and transcribe. Chris Carlson is a good reporter with an excellent reputation. He should just post the audio on syracuse.com in its entirety and then we'll see if anything was taken out of context as spineless Levine asserts.

I'm sure everything was recorded. Reporters don't take notes, they record everything with phones and transcribe. Chris Carlson is a good reporter with an excellent reputation. He should just post the audio on syracuse.com in its entirety and then we'll see if anything was taken out of context as spineless Levine asserts. I would like Syracuse.com to defend itself by doing this and keep on this story. Galaxy is like Kremlin radio, nothing negative about the state.

I'm sure everything was recorded. Reporters don't take notes, they record everything with phones and transcribe. Chris Carlson is a good reporter with an excellent reputation. He should just post the audio on syracuse.com in its entirety and then we'll see if anything was taken out of context as spineless Levine asserts.

Maybe the part where they were losing sponsors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom