On The Block no more | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

What were you expecting them to say?
Anything to acknowledge it. It’s a national story in college sports media and you have the main guy there conducting a conversation among friends and co workers.

It’s the elephant in the room and no one even references it? There are rumors swirling and people are salty over this but they act like nothing happened? I find that weird.

Out of curiosity if you are admitting you have no idea, then why are you saying it?
I’m going to assume this is a serious question and explain it to you.

Please consider:

- We’re on a colllege sports message board.

- message boards are fairly well known places for speculation and conjecture

- two pretty dramatic things just happened around the school we all come here to discuss, analyze and theorize about

- not surprisingly there have been a lot of posts with speculation and conjecture on both JB & Axe

- when I posted I said “I’m spitballing but…” which was meant to indicate speculation on my part

- then I followed up by saying “I have no idea but ijs” to make sure no one took what I said as anything more than speculation

Hope that helps ! Feel free speculate a little if you never have. It’s fun!

Last edited:
That's insane. There's some thin skins and there's that. Wow. Pulling ads because the big bad sports man said a meanie about the coach. Wow.
I think the clincher was two days of Axe ridiculing the coach for his comments after the win over Wake. Expressed appreciation for the fans in attendance and said something to the effect that they were the true supporters and that the 22 people who call talk radio complaining probably don’t come to the game. Not the best wording but Axe focused on the 22 people part, and went to the mattresses defending “his people” and saying Boeheim had completely lost it. Literally all he talked about for two days and he consistently used ridiculing and demeaning language referring to Boeheim.

Frankly I think a business owner has a right to choose not to spend advertising dollars on media that he (or she) takes offense to. I listened to the show regularly put stopped after those two days. He really went off the rails IMHO and all I could think of was Marius at the barricade in Les Mis!

I think the clincher was two days of Axe ridiculing the coach for his comments after the win over Wake. Expressed appreciation for the fans in attendance and said something to the effect that they were the true supporters and that the 22 people who call talk radio complaining probably don’t come to the game. Not the best wording but Axe focused on the 22 people part, and went to the mattresses defending “his people” and saying Boeheim had completely lost it. Literally all he talked about for two days and he consistently used ridiculing and demeaning language referring to Boeheim.

Frankly I think a business owner has a right to choose not to spend advertising dollars on media that he (or she) takes offense to. I listened to the show regularly put stopped after those two days. He really went off the rails IMHO and all I could think of was Marius at the barricade in Les Mis!
He probably figured piling on a guy who was out the door was safe and he would boost his “credibility “ with those people.

He chose poorly

The more information that comes out, the more that this looks like it's overblown by a few people nationally with an axe to grind (pun not intended) and a few folks on this board just looking for a reason to bash the university.

Everyone's already moved on, JJ Starling and Red are the news now.

I can confirm one advertiser pulled its advertising because of the Axe firing.
not surprised, the general reaction I'm hearing around town (meaning my office seeing 25 or so folks a day, many who are interested in all things SU), anyway the general vibe isn't a positive one. I will not be keeping that station on around here anymore.

Will it blow over? Sure, sooner or later but not without more to come of it would be my guess (lawsuit?), so yeah another uneccessary unforced error to add to the list.

Can't tell you how many times I clicked on a postgame youtube video and then couldn't get thru 5 minutes of him. He was either trying too hard not to be Hot Take Guy, or genuinely the most boring guy on earth. "I'm not blame the officials guy, but man they were inconsistent. Of course the officials didn't give up [twelve 3's, 450yds, etc" - after every game ever gets old. Agree with a lot of the other critiques as well. Honestly astonished he lasted that long.

All that said, the idea that he was too negative or got fired because of that is disturbing and Levine's statements are embarrassing. Zero hope for whatever propoganda they put on next.

I absolutely think a business owner can pull ads when something offends them. I just think in this crazy world we live in, that's pretty...eh. Just feels weak.

I think it's about perspective and thats fine. I felt Boeheim was the one who went off the rails this seaon, honestly. But to each their own

I can confirm one advertiser pulled its advertising because of the Axe firing.
I can confirm Jim Boeheim is King of Syracuse.
Mess with the king and bad things tend to happen.

We are 'his people'.

And, yes a business owner has the right to fire people - but having a right to do something doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

It is time to move on. Brent had a smile on his face in that video posted with Mike and Donna. It seems like he's moved on. He thinks he won that one, has another job and will surface somewhere else before too long. He's been fired before and has landed on two feet.

not surprised, the general reaction I'm hearing around town (meaning my office seeing 25 or so folks a day, many who are interested in all things SU), anyway the general vibe isn't a positive one. I will not be keeping that station on around here anymore.

Will it blow over? Sure, sooner or later but not without more to come of it would be my guess (lawsuit?), so yeah another uneccessary unforced error to add to the list.
Generally sports talk radio stations are down near the bottom of the ratings charts. I think Galaxy should and would be much more concerned about their top stations, which I believe are TK99 and KRock. Someone can correct me if that's wrong. If they own a country station, and im not sure if they do, then that is usually their best station for ratings (most revenue).

BTW, Syracuse is rated as the 100th largest radio market and for comparison Albany-Schen-Troy is 67th.

So basically Axe is a small fish in a small pond.

nobody cared about Axe or his program until this. The NY Post had his picture for chrissakes. This may turn out to be the best thing for his career if he wants to stay on the air somewhere. Honestly without this he wasn't moving on to a bigger market.

The only guy who looks dumb here is Levine - not for firing Axe but for putting himself in the middle of it. The JB connection (no matter how tangential) isn't good but is anyone surprised that the school can shut down negative local coverage? If it wasn't for the Athletic Q would still be coaching here. The local media is so soft on SU, and this kind of stuff makes them cower even more. This is not new and should not surprise anyone including Axe who is not good.

Generally sports talk radio stations are down near the bottom of the ratings charts. I think Galaxy should and would be much more concerned about their top stations, which I believe are TK99 and KRock. Someone can correct me if that's wrong. If they own a country station, and im not sure if they do, then that is usually their best station for ratings (most revenue).

BTW, Syracuse is rated as the 100th largest radio market and for comparison Albany-Schen-Troy is 67th.

So basically Axe is a small fish in a small pond.

B104.7 is usually the highest radio station in the Syracuse area, but they are owned by iheart media.

B104.7 is usually the highest radio station in the Syracuse area, but they are owned by iheart media.

Sports talk radio is different but I'm not sure how anyone listens to terrestrial radio music stations at all anymore. I was at my parents house in Syracuse last weekend and had the radio on while I showered. In 15 minutes, I heard exactly ONE SONG. At one point, they legit played 7 straight minutes of commercials. Absurd.

I absolutely think a business owner can pull ads when something offends them. I just think in this crazy world we live in, that's pretty...eh. Just feels weak.

I think it's about perspective and thats fine. I felt Boeheim was the one who went off the rails this seaon, honestly. But to each their own

It's extremely difficult to be objective when you have a close personal relationship and friendship with someone, especially if it has been over a long extended period of time. It's human nature.

It is, in large, why independent witnesses and the like generally carry significantly more weight relative to sworn statements, depositions, etc. in legal proceedings when it comes to credibility/questions of fact, etc.

Thank goodness they are talking about this a not an accessary to murder playing in the NCAA tournament

In a weird way, I kinda want Alabama to keep winning in the NCAAs just to be able to identify the point national media choose to blow that story up and focus on it for days. My guess is Elite Eight there are some opening salvos - them making the Final Four will turn it into the lead story for a week.

(I suspect the NCAA "leadership" believes that as well, and so is incentivized to make sure that doesn't happen. If Alabama is in the Elite Eight, they should expect the same unbiased officiating we saw vs Ohio St).

In a weird way, I kinda want Alabama to keep winning in the NCAAs just to be able to identify the point national media choose to blow that story up and focus on it for days. My guess is Elite Eight there are some opening salvos - them making the Final Four will turn it into the lead story for a week.

(I suspect the NCAA "leadership" believes that as well, and so is incentivized to make sure that doesn't happen. If Alabama is in the Elite Eight, they should expect the same unbiased officiating we saw vs Ohio St).
Definitely filled out by bracket using your logic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom