On The Block no more | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

What questions did Axe ask?
He had a real negative dark tone at a very positive and bright presser asking if JW searched nationally for a coach after introducing Red and asking if we’re calling this a retirement instead of firing after JB and JW just went over everything at length and explained it. Doesn’t sound terrible in writing, but listening to it live, it came across like he wanted it to be ugly and contentious, and wanted to rub it in to JB.

Brett’s “damages” are limited to the remainder of his contract. Those are his financial loses. He may have already been paid his contract.
Damages for defamation would go beyond that.

It’s the most obvious conclusion to draw. I’m not sure how you can’t see that. Boeheim was a part owner of the freaking radio station and is on record as disliking Axe.

Even if JB was completely innocent and his friend acted alone this the still narrative that would emerge from the situation.

Occam’s Razor
Great summary. These guys don't care about the actual facts. They just jump to a conclusion. Not me.

Ultimately, whether fair or unfair, an Athletic Program in shaky condition is going to end up being connected to occurrences like this.

If JB wasn’t JB, and didn’t “retire” in the fashion he “chose” to… he wouldn’t be connected to this. In reality he can occasionally be a vindictive jerk regarding the media, so is it really surprising we see his name thrown around in conjecture here?

If Wildhack’s transition plans went smoothly, and the Athletic Programs (namely basketball and football) were in better positions… he likely wouldn’t be mentioned in this. Unfortunately the coaching transition was not smooth here for a variety of embarrassing reasons.

Whether they had input/involvement ultimately doesn’t matter. This is just more garbage tossed into the current SU basketball dumpsterfire. There’s A LOT to clean up and that needs to go right to start getting positive publicity again.

Ultimately, whether fair or unfair, an Athletic Program in shaky condition is going to end up being connected to occurrences like this.

If JB wasn’t JB, and didn’t “retire” in the fashion he “chose” to… he wouldn’t be connected to this. In reality he can occasionally be a vindictive jerk regarding the media, so is it really surprising we see his name thrown around in conjecture here?

If Wildhack’s transition plans went smoothly, and the Athletic Programs (namely basketball and football) were in better positions… he likely wouldn’t be mentioned in this. Unfortunately the coaching transition here was not smooth here for a variety of embarrassing reasons.

Whether they had input/involvement ultimately doesn’t matter. This is just more garbage tossed into the current SU basketball dumpsterfire. There’s A LOT to clean up and that needs to go right to start getting positive publicity again.
Winning solves everything.

As Tuttle said, if he's a radio personality, chances are high that he has an employment contract. The contract will likely have "for cause" and "not for cause" termination language.

Lack of notice, being fired on the phone, does not play well with juries, and probably doesn't comply with the contract.

If there's one rule in firing people (and I have had to fire my share in the past, too), it's "do it in person, and make them feel good about themselves on the way out the door".

This was an intentional kick in the teeth. Say what you will, Axe is going to get paid.
and if he had a contract, there would have been plenty of conditions about behavior detrimental to the station, company etc. and lots of other clauses and conditions that make a lawsuit highly highly unlikely.

He wasn’t being defamed in that interview. Was it poor form and stupid? Of course. We all agree that. But stupidity isn’t a reason to get sued. If he had a contract he will get paid out.

What's interesting is that on Twitter and other platforms are all these people (journalists/media people) who have spoken up to support Axe and disparage Levine. Yet, when pressed will admit they have never heard the show, except for snippets. Supposedly smart people talking before listening.

I don't think Levine would need to prove anything, but if he has any documentation that shows he previously talked to Axe about this, then Axe doesn't have a leg to stand on. In Albany we have had sports guys suddenly taken off the air (Lindsley, Goz). Not sure of the facts as I'm not a regular listener, but this is not uncommon. Hadn't Stern and Imus both been fired earlier in their career.

Radio is probably a little different than most jobs, but if your boss is not happy with the things you are saying then there probably is a clause in the contract allowing you to be terminated. I'm sure if someone googled it, you could find examples of media contracts online.
You hire someone to entertain on your station. You don't like the way they do it. You fire them. Happens all the time.

Yes, Stern was fired because his station, WNBC didn't like his show.

"An examination of [Stern's] programs over a period of time showed a divergence of opinion and we didn't feel we could resolve it," Hayes said. "In the best interests of the station, we thought we should try something else."

They didn't like his opinions. Fired.

Someone brought up Howard Stern which is a great example. He has sued to get money owed to him because of being removed for his speech or content. He would always complain in the 90s about stations not paying him.

I doubt Axe can do much about this besides getting a new job from this publicity.

That owner is a big dummy though for saying this all out loud. I can’t imagine a world where JB tries and gets someone fired. That seems a bridge to far for me.

If Boeheim wanted him fired, why did he wait until he was retired to do it? Why not get rid of the guy while he was coaching ?
That was my question yesterday as I was thinking about this whole thing. Unless JB wanted to get a parting shot on his way out?

No one holds a grudge against the press harder than Boeheim.

I don't know what the point of radio even is now. Start a podcast, sell ads, have way less overhead, and pocket all the money. This could work out just fine for Axe.
I agree. Podcast is the route a local Kansas City host in my area took when he also had a "unceremonious" exit from his station.

Yup. NY is an employer friendly state with these things. More so than most blue states. Kind of surprisingly so.
I'd agree and disagree. If the employer has their shite together and have documentation and show a process that ties in with their policies, acknowledged and signed off by said former employee, then the employer should be ok.

But any loosy goosy situations where documentation is sloppy or policy is lax / sloppy and the former employee has an opening.

The State also offsets things with being very lax and lenient with Work Comp.

You can have video of a guy with a bad back out doing landscaping, working out, digging for gold, climbing Mt Everest, what have you and the WCB will still favor for the injured worker and say that the injured employee was having a better day physically and that they cannot ascertain the true pain and discomfort of the injured employee as it could vary from day to day, moment to moment.

Swear on my kids I have experienced that throughout my career. It's crazy.

Yeah, and?

The radio station owner didn’t like the way the yakker was doing his job, so he canned him.

Happens all the time

No denying that.

The issue is... "I am going to say out loud the real reason why because... well, because I'm spartacus."

If you want to manufacture a PR debacle with the firing, this is exactly how you do it.

"Reflects poorly on the university" LOL

Not a single person outside Syracuse will remember or care about this in a month. This isn't a scandal.
A month is to long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom