oof game from buddy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

oof game from buddy

We had 2 guys play really well, Market and Bourama. The other guys were ok. We need 2 of our big 3 to be great. They weren't.
It was also something like the 7th game in 20 days. That impacts the legs, which impacts shooters.
If we can get in the tournament, they could win one or 2.

Buddy’s foot speed is an issue. Will always be, but he hits shots.

This was the game where our athleticism really looked like a problem. Guys like O'Connell are so much more mobile than some of SU's players. This was a serious mismatch. Thought SU did pretty well considering.

As a result, it's also the best defense I remember Duke playing since we've joined the league.

Buddy’s foot speed is an issue. Will always be, but he hits shots.

I don't know. Don't think he hit shots tonight.

I really am rooting for this backcourt to succeed but I just don't see it against high-level competition. Hope I'm wrong and they figure out how to somehow make up for their deficiencies.

End of the day, this backcourt will need to hit contested three-pointers to be successful and against high-level competition it is really hard to do.

you're complaining about Buddy yet somehow Hughes played 40 minutes on the backline and secured all of TWO rebounds.

Don't disagree. We have a shooting guard playing the baseline of the 2-3 zone. That's the bottom line.

Elijah had a couple nice moments defensively with blocked shots but ultimately our best defenses/teams have had legitimate forwards at those positions.

Don't disagree. We have a shooting guard playing the baseline of the 2-3 zone. That's the bottom line.

Elijah had a couple nice moments defensively with blocked shots but ultimately our best defenses/teams have had legitimate forwards at those positions.

Girard would get more than 2 boards if he played there .. in fact he had 4

Girard would get more than 2 boards if he played there .. in fact he had 4

I am on your side. Don't think Elijah is a great fit for what we need without a legitimate center in the zone. In fact, Marek is not a typical forward in our zone -- he's not strong enough to be a rebounder in that position.

Not saying any of them are bad players -- but for our system and what we have done defensively in prior years, this team is not a good mix. It is what it is.

Still not sure why Goodine does not play? very athletic, can shoot and play defense. Don’t see him sitting for two more years behind BB and JG. Need to share minutes and keep guys fresh. Should have redshirted the kid

Still not sure why Goodine does not play? very athletic, can shoot and play defense. Don’t see him sitting for two more years behind BB and JG. Need to share minutes and keep guys fresh. Should have redshirted the kid

Silly premise. If you place him in the game, someone has to come out, if someone is out they cannot hit a three. Therefore, makes no sense. You already lost at least 3 points you cannot make up.

Likely far more.

This is where stat lines are misleading. If someone didn't watch the game and just went by a box score, they'd say he played well.

I watched the game and he did.

Putting up those numbers with Tre Jones on him the whole game is a remarkable accomplishment for a freshmen guard. There's a reason they keep track of those stats. Some fans see a couple of bad plays and assume a player had a bad game. Perceptions can be misleading, too.

I am on your side. Don't think Elijah is a great fit for what we need without a legitimate center in the zone. In fact, Marek is not a typical forward in our zone -- he's not strong enough to be a rebounder in that position.

Not saying any of them are bad players -- but for our system and what we have done defensively in prior years, this team is not a good mix. It is what it is.

my point is although suboptimal and although out sized / out muscled, Elijah's effort level on the defensive boards is pathetic and any level of decent effort on that end would result in at least half dozen rebounds.

I think buddy would be a real good mid-major player, he is not a high minute player on a high major team that wins
Wes Durham of the ACC Network put him on his midyear All-ACC team. He's not a midmajor player. He's going to be on one of the All-ACC teams at the end if the year if not the first team, at least honorable mention.

I really like both Buddy and JG and think both deserve to start but playing Buddy 40 is is ludicrous. There are reasons no one else does this. We have 2 capable guards on the bench who would be even more capable with more minutes. Both play better D. Both have at least facilitated the offense in limited minutes. Both are good kids and teammates and deserve to play. Both Buddy and (especially) JG go on long stretches during the game where they are not contributing much at all. We could be better next year for getting the others some PT. Newsflash: we're not cutting down any nets this year. Maybe it would be in our interest to invest for the future. And maybe we could even be better this year if we cycle these guys some. Can we please try?
Seems like the last 4-5 games, about 28 minutes in (Duke sooner), we've been figured out and are too gassed to respond.

We had 2 guys play really well, Market and Bourama. The other guys were ok. We need 2 of our big 3 to be great. They weren't.
It was also something like the 7th game in 20 days. That impacts the legs, which impacts shooters.
If we can get in the tournament, they could win one or 2.
I think the three week stretch has left us a little gassed. Think the week off helps and we roll Wake. That said our margin for error is so slim...no gimmes

From game to game you can point fingers at who you want, but the bottom line is that we are a team with no size and limited speed.

we can shoot and are somewhat crafty...but most of these games were lost on the recruiting trail.

I give JG 3 and Buddy credit. They did not turn the ball over as much as I feared. Need to almost shoot 70% when they get good looks though because they get so few of them.

It was really noticeable when HOWash came in, how little space Hughes and Buddy got.

Q may not know where the he’ll he’s supposed to be, but he plays hard and is tough as nails. Really starting to love watching him play.

Really surprised how shaky Duke looked against pressure. If Sidibe has any feel how to play the back end of it, I think we could have gone on a run. He really gets caught in no mans land every run out.

interesting, putting HOWash on the back end one possession confused Duke. He did a nice job of covering 2 guys sideline to sideline.

I won’t discuss officiating. It was brutal both ways.

17 pts, 4 rebs, 7 asts, 4 stls, 1 turnover. Thought Joe was good overall - especially since Tre Jones was harassing him for a good portion of the night.
Last year Howard got picked three times in the first few minutes of the game. I thought Girard got by Jones quite a bit. He’s beginning to get in the lane. He worries too much about being perfect. JBhad to get him to relax after he missed a couple of free throws. Everyone needs to forget about Joe trying to lead the country in foul shooting. You can tell the pressure is not worth it. Just play Joe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom