oof game from buddy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

oof game from buddy

Last year Howard got picked three times in the first few minutes of the game. I thought Girard got by Jones quite a bit. He’s beginning to get in the lane. He worries too much about being perfect. JBhad to get him to relax after he missed a couple of free throws. Everyone needs to forget about Joe trying to lead the country in foul shooting. You can tell the pressure is not worth it. Just play Joe.
He got some help with that as well. JB brought Marek up to at least threaten a pick, and Eli brought the ball up a bunch.

This to the Nth degree.

Pretty clear the guy can still coach offense, defense and special teams...

Our next line of recruits, over a few years, will determine whether we’re a middle of the pack ACC program or one that can compete near the top.

Our next line of recruits, over a few years, will determine whether we’re a middle of the pack ACC program or one that can compete near the top.
Need two guys - a legit center (Edwards?) and a lead guard that can create and defend (Goodine?). I don’t think we are that far off, as crazy as that sounds, especially if these guys keep getting better (Girard, Guerrier & Boeheim). Just have a ton of youth.

He needed to make all 3 of those FT’s out of that timeout... only makes 1

I partially blame Hughes for the 3rd shot. Buddy made the second one and was about to take the 3rd, and Hughes complained about the floor being slippery in a spot to the refs, so they stopped it and had them wipe the floor.

Messed his rhythm up.

The story of the game was missed shots. They were able to get enough good looks Just didn’t connect. Thought jgiii had a great floor game, but he needs to hit at a higher percentage

I don’t know about that. Maybe we just have higher standards. On this date, six years ago, we were 21-0 after beating Duke.
On this date 6 years ago, I didn't have a knee replacement. About as much sense.

I agree and I am starting to wonder what the goals are for the program. Are we still competing for a national championship. If so, is that the #1 goal?
That was certainly not the goal this year. And progress doing well as we did against Duke is based on the start we had this year.

We lost the game at the 3pt line and the foul line. Duke shot exceptionally well from the foul line 88%

But Buddy missed 2 and JG3 missed 2.

Duke was 6-17 from 3 we were 6-26.

We only lost the game by 9.

If we had shot the same percentages as Duke did from 3 and from the line we win.

Last edited:
30 when we score 65 points is a ton, 30 when we score 88 isn't impressive when we only play 6.5 guys.

it's still a 40 minute game. The fact that your teammates are also scoring doesn't negate the 30 points.

This was the game where our athleticism really looked like a problem. Guys like O'Connell are so much more mobile than some of SU's players. This was a serious mismatch. Thought SU did pretty well considering.

As a result, it's also the best defense I remember Duke playing since we've joined the league.

And yet we get so much by driving to the basket. We also got 21 offensive rebounds and forced 19 turnovers. That takes 'athleticism'.

This to the Nth degree.

Pretty clear the guy can still coach offense, defense and special teams...

I think Girard, Guerrier and Edwards will all have fine careers, possibly Goodine as well. This is a pretty good class. They aren't Duke freshmen, one-and-doners, but they can be very good college players if they stay for 3-4 years. Our problem as been that we lose too many guys who need to stay that long after 1-2 years. have a good year and you're gone. Does that have to do with JB's public and private criticisms? Or is it just $$$$$? I don't know. I keep seeing teams who kept their non-one-and-doners in the Final Four., some of them cutting down the nets. Why not us?

Buddy was hot late.

The problem is JG3 and Buddy would be great if they had Tyus or Frank..and vice versa

The offense is better without both of them this year. Defense is the only place they would help.

that’s not true at all.
You are correct. Frank did turn the ball over on our very first possession (and then compounded the error by fouling Zion). And then less than thirty seconds later, he was called for a foul on a Zion made dunk for a 3-point play.

Shortly after that, Jalen subbed in for Frank - and it was Jalen who turned the ball over on consecutive possessions. Both were steals by Tre Jones, leading to fast-break layups. The second one forced JB to call a timeout with 17:09 remaining in the first half, with SU trailing 11-0.

An amazing comeback W by the Orange that day...

I watched the game and he did.

Putting up those numbers with Tre Jones on him the whole game is a remarkable accomplishment for a freshmen guard. There's a reason they keep track of those stats. Some fans see a couple of bad plays and assume a player had a bad game. Perceptions can be misleading, too.

Hilarious. I watched him not close out on defenders at the top of the zone including one play where he flat out gave up on a loose ball, let Alex O'Connell get it, square up and sink a three. Basketball is not football. You play on both sides of the ball. He stunk against Clemson as well.

Hilarious. I watched him not close out on defenders at the top of the zone including one play where he flat out gave up on a loose ball, let Alex O'Connell get it, square up and sink a three. Basketball is not football. You play on both sides of the ball. He stunk against Clemson as well.

So I was looking just at one side of the ball you were looking just at the other. There had to be a lot of missed close-outs to make up for his 17 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 steals with Jones on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom