Orangeyes ...Sad news | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes ...Sad news

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and mens basketball, but also Lax, womens basketball, womens softball etc.

He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts.

We will post details of the arrangements when we know them.

God bless you Dan, we'll miss you.

Last edited:
Such a sad way to wake up today. I saw coach Hop tweet about this earlier and hoped like hell he wasn't talking about OE.

OE gave this board something no other fan board could match with his daily posts. Such a horrible loss. I wish I had gotten to meet him in person.

I hope the department arranges a moment of silence before the first football game in his memory.

It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and mens basketball, but also Lax, womens basketball, womens softball etc.

He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts. We will post details of the arrangements when we know them.

God bless Dan, we'll miss you.
Saw this on twitter and didn't want to be the first to post this or even believe it. I feel so badly for OrangeOnions, Dan's whole family and his closest friends. There is a huge hole in my heart and in all of Orange Nation today. It is amazing how many lives that Dan touched and how much he was respected and loved. I really don't have anything more to say. Love you Dan, you will be missed greatly.

Wow, can't believe this is the very first thing I've read waking up. God bless you and your family Dan. I never met him either, and feel like he provided me with endless info on my obsession, like just about everyone on this board.
For those of you who knew him and lost a friend, God bless you guys as well in this very hard time. The one thing we can all say for sure is, he will never be forgotten and and he will be remembered quite frequently as long as this board exists.

God Bless Dan, you will be remembered as a great man, and the epitome of FAN!

OMG this is crushing. Ugh it makes caring about sports right now not worth. RIP OE saying you will be missed is an understatement, Can we rename one of the boards after him whichever team he liked more FB, BB, or LAX?

Thanks for the news Rick. Incredibly sad. Although Dan and I only met once, we traded many messages through the years and especially immediately prior to his hospitalization. He knew that for me, he was the board. I am saddened beyond words.

This alumnus and fan will be affixing some combination of OE and DJ to the shirts I wear on game days this year and urge all who knew Dan to do the same.

My deepest sympathy to Dan's family. Somewhere in heaven, Ernie Davis is showing Dan around and helping him get settled.

Caught the Hop tweet earlier. I'm really shaken this morning, such a sad morning. Those of us who had a chance to spend some time with him are better people for it, I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to make it up to Cuse to see him these last few months.

RIP OE

I am very sorry to hear this. I, like Dan, am a huge SU fan but not an alum. I just joined this board last fall and I have been going through a difficult, depressing, and lonely time in my life. One of the few things I looked forward to every morning was the links Dan worked so hard in the wee hours to have available to all of us here. I know his family should be well aware of the positive effect he has had on so many people's lives but I am posting today to tell them that its likely many more people than you think and he has had a positive effect on people you have never met and likely never will such as myself. RIP Orangeys. Peace to your family.

I Love you Brother RIP
image.jpg

A great guy who makes me look like a marginal fan. He will be missed locally and globally among Syracuse fans who make this site their home.

My suggestion to honor him would be to rename the fine parking lot after Dan or co -name that section of E. Raynor ave "Dan Johnson Way".

His daily contribution of linking articles for us is the single most irreplaceable part of what we do. It cannot be replaced. It made cal Ripken look like a slacker.

Rest in peace, Dan. And go orange

So sad to hear. I don't have the history that many of you locals have with Dan, as I haven't been to every tailgate. When I lived closer, I would meet him at tailgates, etc. Dude was a huge fan that sometimes wore orange slippers in public.

Like many, I had my offline communications with Dan. He was a guy whose online personna matched his offline personna. He was as nice online as he was offline. Pretty rare on this board. We had some offline communications in which he offered to help with some personal things I was going through, or research I wanted to do.

Dan reminds me of myself in the sense that we are both guys who would drive an hour and a half to see a fricking women's lax exhibition game. The difference being that Dan's done similar things about 10,000 times.

Great guy, who will be missed. So glad that he will forever be remembered for the statue. A nice way to honor him would be to have a 'fan plaque' somewhere on that ED statue. Maybe on the back or side of the base of it.

A great guy who makes me look like a marginal fan. He will be missed locally and globally among Syracuse fans who make this site their home.

My suggestion to honor him would be to rename the fine parking lot after Dan or co -name that section of E. Raynor ave "Dan Johnson Way".

His daily contribution of linking articles for us is the single most irreplaceable part of what we do. It cannot be replaced. It made cal Ripken look like a slacker.

Rest in peace, Dan. And go orange
That's a terrific idea, Jake. I hope the people at SU at least consider it.

Heaven has a Orange hue today and for many days and nights to come. A better man, 'Cuse fan, I have not met. Dan was there when he was needed and responded in such a gracious way...sympathy not only to his immediate family but to all 'Cusedom for losing a terrific person...God Bless his soul!

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom